• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

DIY battery box.

Daz Type-R

So I'm getting my backside in gear (and about 2 years behind every one else) and I want to build myself a proper battery box, with voltmeter, 2 x female cigarette ports and an off/on switch, so nothing too difficult.

Looking in this section at Allan's, Robs, Damien's ETC battery box and the wiring all seems pretty straight forward but I'm just wondering where does everybody source their parts?

I know the boxes can be purchased from B&Q ETC, but I would have thought Maplins would be my best bet for the electrical aspect but I'm struggling to find the parts. I'm thinking it's my search terms as I don't fully know the correct names, for example, I put in "12v female cigarette" and it just brings up inverters, the same thing when I put in LED voltmeters, brings back some odd results.

Assistance please guys and gals.

Edited by Daz Type-R

dc voltage meter  = "panel voltage meter"

dc current  meter = "dc current panel meter"

car cigarette lighter socket - female

car cigarette lighter plug - male

Perhaps a dc to dc boost converter (brick) which can come with in built volt meter and you can run to produce 14-15v @ 3amps off battery.

hope that helps - i use fleebay - slow China to safe money or if you can't wait uk only

Edited by stash

daz why do you need of voltmeter, from what you run on a large leisure battery dont think

you will come up against low voltage problems??

I think Sheilas Amazon version is brilliant for the price. Not seen a ready made off-the-shelf one before. You could spend nearly that much on all the bits and then a few precious weekend hours bodging it all together!

I think Sheilas Amazon version is brilliant for the price. Not seen a ready made off-the-shelf one before. You could spend nearly that much on all the bits and then a few precious weekend hours bodging it all together!

that was my conclusion even though i could perhaps get the bits at work it just seemed a lot of work

daz why do you need of voltmeter, from what you run on a large leisure battery dont think

you will come up against low voltage problems??

I know, I just thought they looked cool!

:)

Hmmmm, don't know what to do now, I don't really have the time to build my own but thought it would be a cool little project to do over the next few weeks but the other option does seen simpler.

So it's just £65 for the battery box and you put your own battery in?

And what do you think of it Sheila, has any thing packed up on it yet?

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Edited by Daz Type-R

Hi Daz can send you my Amazon links if that might help

Hi Daz can send you my Amazon links if that might help

Please Allan, I wouldn't mind pricing it all up and seeing if I fancy having a go at it myself.

Thank you.

i have two of them and stephen has two of them, you just plonk battery in connect and go :)  no troubles for me or Stephen.

I also connected extra fag connectors (10A ones) direct to the battery and ran them out of the vents so I have more

fag connetors if i need them.  (got them from Maplins)  simples :D  Find the extra ones good as they are on those springy cables extensons

so will come out further from the battery if needed

Cheers Sheila, that sounds perfect.

If the DIY option does not pan out, I will get one.

Thanks all.

i have two of them and stephen has two of them, you just plonk battery in connect and go :)  no troubles for me or Stephen.

I also connected extra fag connectors (10A ones) direct to the battery and ran them out of the vents so I have more

fag connetors if i need them.  (got them from Maplins)  simples :D  Find the extra ones good as they are on those springy cables extensons

so will come out further from the battery if needed

Do you light your fags with it as well? :D

Thanks Allan, appreciated.

No worries Darren if you need any help let me know still have a few bits from my build if that helps!!  you wont need as much as me in the battery box, as you don't have cameras, filter wheels and dont need to run powered USB hubs so hopefully should be easier 

I made my own but it still cost me around £60 even buying my parts at trade.

Do you light your fags with it as well? :D

nope that would be a bit risky :rofl:

Thanks everyone, I have managed to find the box Sheila linked too but for only £56 delivered so I'm tempted to just get that and save me the trouble but I do like a spot of DIY so we will see.

nope that would be a bit risky :rofl:

You don't want the optics in your Tak covered with tar and ash. Or to image some unexpected wispy bits of nebulosity :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone, I have managed to find the box Sheila linked too but for only £56 delivered so I'm tempted to just get that and save me the trouble but I do like a spot of DIY so we will see.

Buy it, forget the DIY and relax for the weekend :thumbsup:

its fun to build  :lol:

I completely agree, but sometimes, if you are not already skilled at these tasks, it can be a time consuming process.

I know that a lot of satisfaction and knowledge can be gained if you have the spare time to do it yourself. :thumbsup:

If i was to build this, I would have to make it better over an 'off the shelf product' as I think it would cost more to build one anyways.

Sheila's link is exactly the one I had Daz and it is super simple and very sturdy. Only things I added was some insulating foam on the inside of the box and a 3 way female cigarette socket adapter with male plug as the box comes with only one female socket. Just to give an idea of scale here it is with my old setup:

5c678c1cbefbc02d482351ae3750e812.jpg

If i was to build this, I would have to make it better over an 'off the shelf product' as I think it would cost more to build one anyways.

I used to build a lot of stuff, don't bother to much now. I found if you do it yourself, it's always over engineered and normally way better then any shop bought item. Just take your time there's no rush the stars are never going away.

And don't forget measure twice and cut once, in fact measure at least four times  :lol:

Edited by Doc