• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Fun jobs, do they even exist?

M.

Ok, so I've been out of work now for three months. I needed a break from work so left the family engineering business and don't really know what to do next....

I'm nearing stage one of my degree, which will be cert HE level, I did BTEC LV 3 in mech engineering and advanced mechanical priciples at BTEC too.

I'm ideally looking for a career but deep down I'm no 'go getter' and having worked for our own business I'm now very reluctant to work for a big company. I hate the office environment unless it's active and not sat behind a computer all day!

So what jobs do you consider fun or rewarding?

I reckon a Geologist would be a great job, especially one that studies volcanoes and Earthquakes. 

As many ems'ers know I skydive in my spare time. I would love to become a skydive instructor and teach people how to skydive for themselves. That would be a fun job I think.

I want Brian Cox's job - flying round the planet, making 1 hour documentaries, loads of helicopter rides up mountains and down valleys, observatories, accelerators, and 5 star hotels everywhere, and highly desirable to anything in a skirt. Now that's a fun job lol. :lol:

• Like 3

As many ems'ers know I skydive in my spare time. I would love to become a skydive instructor and teach people how to skydive for themselves. That would be a fun job I think.

Why not go for it then?

I'm guessing it ain't a cheap course?

I think Mikes job (Perkil8r) is perfect.

(Just without the kids).

I think Mikes job (Perkil8r) is perfect.

(Just without the kids).

I don't know what you mean.........

My week this week: Making Methane rockets / bombs and firing them across classrooms, making paper rockets, flying solid fuel rockets (outside), solar observing with 50 kids yesterday, a couple of hours of setting up ;) on my own in the obs. Still to come, methane bubble tower of fire doom, methane rockets, paper rockets, solid fuel rockets, more solar observing, image processing and basically everything cool to do with astronomy including end of topic space themed awards and party. And chips on Friday before the pub when we break up for 6 weeks off........

My job as a physics and observatory tech at the school really sucks :lol:

In answer to the question "fun jobs do they even exist?" erm......... nah, it's a real drag :D

I don't know what you mean.........

My week this week: Making Methane rockets / bombs and firing them across classrooms, making paper rockets, flying solid fuel rockets (outside), solar observing with 50 kids yesterday, a couple of hours of setting up ;) on my own in the obs. Still to come, methane bubble tower of fire doom, methane rockets, paper rockets, solid fuel rockets, more solar observing, image processing and basically everything cool to do with astronomy including end of topic space themed awards and party. And chips on Friday before the pub when we break up for 6 weeks off........

My job as a physics and observatory tech at the school really sucks :lol:

In answer to the question "fun jobs do they even exist?" erm......... nah, it's a real drag :D

Not really thought about teaching myself, although yes it does sound like a rewarding job :)

Not really thought about teaching myself, although yes it does sound like a rewarding job :)

Teaching? good grief no! although I do end up doing a bit, I'm just the tech that makes the whoosh bangs :D

A 'something ist'.

E.g scientist, palaeontologist, biologist, botanist, zoologist, physicist, artist, ... but not dentist! 🔬🔭💉🔨🎨🎓ðŸœðŸžðŸ˜

A 'something ist'.

E.g scientist, palaeontologist, biologist, botanist, zoologist, physicist, artist, ... but not dentist!

I think we can all relate to the zoologist, as we remember our trips to the zoo. I was at nequay zoo earlier this year and the thought of this kind of work looks attractive.

My true passion is physics but as I'm studying with the OU I had to do the dual degree.... and I'm going to be doing pure mathematics for a whole year!

Why not go for it then?

I'm guessing it ain't a cheap course?

It's a tricky one really. Whilst it would be fun it is extremely expensive (approx £50,000) to train as an instructor properly. Then there is no guarantee of work. Skydiving is quite an insular community so if you're not in with the right people it's not a question of interviewing for the job and getting it on merit/skill it's more a question of if you know the chief instructor. Then there are a very few salaried instructor positions at UK dropzones. Then there's the fact that it has quite a short life as a full time position due to the physical strain it places on the body, then of course there is no pension plan with being a skydive instructor. Lots of reasons to not go for it really. But if I were to win the lottery, it's without doubt the only job I would think of doing. I know most people would not work if they won the lottery but I would if it were that job :)

It's a tricky one really. Whilst it would be fun it is extremely expensive (approx £50,000) to train as an instructor properly. Then there is no guarantee of work. Skydiving is quite an insular community so if you're not in with the right people it's not a question of interviewing for the job and getting it on merit/skill it's more a question of if you know the chief instructor. Then there are a very few salaried instructor positions at UK dropzones. Then there's the fact that it has quite a short life as a full time position due to the physical strain it places on the body, then of course there is no pension plan with being a skydive instructor. Lots of reasons to not go for it really. But if I were to win the lottery, it's without doubt the only job I would think of doing. I know most people would not work if they won the lottery but I would if it were that job :)

£50'000! I had no idea it would be as much as that!

I could image it being worth it though if you moved to some exotic location, like where they skydive over crystal clear oceans and so on.

£50'000! I had no idea it would be as much as that!

I could image it being worth it though if you moved to some exotic location, like where they skydive over crystal clear oceans and so on.

If I didn't have a wife and mortgage commitments I would do it in a heartbeat and live the nomadic lifestyle that skydiving instruction facilitates. Still there's always the lotto win dream :)

What field of engineering were you in Martin?

I can understand how you can become jaded by mundane stuff, but without engineers we wouldn't have the amazing feats of science such as Rosetta and New Horizons. Someone has to figure out how it's going to get built and flirt it out there.

I couldn't go to an office job and sit in the same spot day after day, but I take my hat off to those that have to and don't have the choice.

What field of engineering were you in Martin?

I can understand how you can become jaded by mundane stuff, but without engineers we wouldn't have the amazing feats of science such as Rosetta and New Horizons. Someone has to figure out how it's going to get built and flirt it out there.

I couldn't go to an office job and sit in the same spot day after day, but I take my hat off to those that have to and don't have the choice.

I was in manufacture then moved into mechanical engineering around 2008, working in service. In 2011 we set up our own business and managed to get work with TFL servicing braking systems on their escalators, which is what I did for the last 5 years. These are like huge hydraulic brakes that fit to winches on shipping cranes, mainly svendborg units.

I was involved in the bank monument refurbishment and have done work for tata steel, subsea 7 and flood defence barriers on the river thames.

I just need a change, left about a few months back to focus on getting my degree completed, stage two starts early next year.

I have no idea what to do with myself, I'm not money driven or the serous career type.

Edited by M__

I just did a test on a site called sokanu, anyways it asks a fair few questions to gauge your ideal job based on personality, interests ect.

I think my first 25 ranked job roles were of a science nature, but more environmental sciences......

I reckon Ant and Dec have quite a fun job, and probably get a bit more than minimum wage :)

Edited by Tweedledee

I reckon Ant and Dec have quite a fun job, and probably get a bit more than minimum wage :)

I think they have done alright too :)

I've come to despise TV over the last few years, so don't watch it anymore. I refuse to pay the fee for a TV license and since cancelling ours, we have had nothing but harassment, but that's a different story :)

Without the distractions of a tv, you must be a lot more productive with your time :thumbsup:

Might also help explain your prolific posting :)

Without the distractions of a tv, you must be a lot more productive with your time :thumbsup:

Might also help explain your prolific posting :)

I do spend a lot of time on my iPad :)

I don't work at the moment, so studying, forums, looking after the missus and running are my past times.

I still watch the occasional film, but yeah not watching TV was one of my better choices in life. I don't miss it one iota and if I really want to watch the education stuff I buy it off iTunes.

Edited by M__

I've got a BTEC, HNC, and HND in mechanical engineering. I program and run CNC machines making bits for Rolls Royce jet engines (and telescopes) I love my job (accept when management interfere.

It's a good career if you ask me.

45 years ago I went into engineering as a career, got all the qualifications, letters after my name as this was the respected profession. In those days engineering was what made Britain. Since then there has been a gradual culture change in the UK and engineering is not as respected as it was. Perhaps due to the reduction in manufacturing in the UK, I dont know and neither do many others in industry.There are many articles and discussions in the institute mags for IEE & ImechE about this also other countries cannot understand it. I remember being asked by a couple of Japanese engineers on secondment why the engineering profession was not respected as it was in Japan. All I could say was it used to be.

My nephew when he came out of uni asked about going in to engineering, he was a little disillusioned with his choice at the time of software developement. I recommended he stick with the path he had chosen, he did and he now runs his own business.

Yes this country needs engineers but they do not get the credit or recognition they once used to get. If I knew then what I knew now I would go into one of the service industries or something PC or tinternet related.

However back on subject fun jobs.... doing what Im doing now antiques. Since I retired from engineering 3 years ago I have been buying and selling antiques, Ive made loads of friends, had loads of laughs and the best thing is I get to own some beautiful and fascinating stuff for awhile.

• Like 1