• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Fun jobs, do they even exist?

M.

What area of Engineering did you work in?

I used to work in a PFP sector, attended college and then went into mechanical engineering as a service engineer.

I don't know many that have a strong background in mech prin, any down talking and I'm soon to attack;)

I like the idea of collecting antiques, I think searching for treasure at a carboot ect sounds like good fun :)

Edited by M__

Heavy power industry Martin, turbo generators and boiler gear. Old technology now, not many powerstations left.

Its not a matter of dissing engineering, its the slow degrading over the decades of the importance of engineering. When I can go out and get a job changing the cups in coffee machines with little to no qualifications and be called an Engineer then something has gone wrong.

I very rarely do car boots, one has to get up too early for those :-)

I think it's the reason I started this thread, I don't have my degree yet, but can't say I'm overly joyous to what I will be doing if I had.

Never did a degree, Hnc plus 5 endorsements and a student apprenticeship in the CEGB (no longer with us sadly) were my qualifications plus time in the heavy engineering environment. Degrees and uni were for them posh types in those days :-)

I have a  City and Guilds in Mechanical Engineering and did a 4 year apprenticeship with London Transport as a Fitter/Turner. Then went on and did a Hnc in Mechanical Engineering. As Phil says in those days degrees were for the posh people, we didn't even get offered a position.

I then went on to be a fitter at a quarry, looking after the plant, belts, crusher and welding the hoppers on the barges. Then went on to be a technician at Imperial Tobacco looking after the cigarette and packing machines.

That was until I had to retire through ill health, now I don't do much at all.

A few engineers on here it seems :)

I think degrees are the norm these days, it's almost like every employer just expects you to have one and because lots do, competition is high and subsequently they can offer less pay for a given position.

I'm doing this out of pure interest and personal reasons, I have a score to settle with my younger self lol

Edited by M__

I'm helping my daughter financially to get her degree and then I in a few years time I'll be doing the same for my son, so even if I wanted to get a degree in a subject I enjoy I wouldn't be able to afford the high fees at the moment.

I'm helping my daughter financially to get her degree and then I in a few years time I'll be doing the same for my son, so even if I wanted to get a degree in a subject I enjoy I wouldn't be able to afford the high fees at the moment.

I went the SFE route, they essential loan the money and I pay it back when I'm earning a wage befitting the degree.

Some degrees are fully funded, my missus just completed her BA degree in nursing at Sheffield Hallam Uni and they even cover costs and pay student bursaries.

I did pay for my BTEC cert which cost me £600 and I also payed for a 30 credit uni module T173 engineering the future, which was £450 back in 2010. I think 30 credits is about £1,250 now!

Which degrees are they considering/doing?

Edited by M__

My daughter Francesca is taking Psychology at Derby and is has just finished her second year, and James my son wants to do Sports Journalism, but his still at school in his last year.

Youd be lucky to get in to an engineering institute without a degree these days. That's why I did the endorsements on my HNC. Couldn't afford uni so did HNC plus endorsements to get in to the institutes not sure if they've closed the door on that way in now.

I got lucky, then went to work for the family business which serviced emergency braking systems.

I'd doubt even with a degree in engineering I'd get a job, I've had a taste of the good life and working for others isn't in my nature lol

The problem with the engineering sector in Britain, is the lack of skilled labour. This went down the pan when they turned to YTS rather than proper apprenticeships. The yoofs then just became Government sponsored cheap labour, and were not taught any skills. 

Manufacturing then went off shore and we lost major industries such as the Coal and steel industries, so the need to train people became more of a financial burden and was side lined.

Now we have industries, such as Bombardier who are finding it impossible to recruit folks with even the basic grasp of what is needed.

We are looking to recruit another engineer, but finding one who is at the skill level we need is again really difficult. 

What company is that Martyn?

Have to agree on the apprenticeships, yts sounds like asbo material.

Don't get me thinking about jobs yet, I haven't planned my life past starting uni yet :P

Not sure I'd like to go into research though, too little pay and too much crap to deal with from the stuff I've heard. Couldn't be a school tech either (sorry Mike :P).

Don't get me thinking about jobs yet, I haven't planned my life past starting uni yet :P

Not sure I'd like to go into research though, too little pay and too much crap to deal with from the stuff I've heard. Couldn't be a school tech either (sorry Mike :P).

I thought I was the youngest here by at least 20 years lol

I bet that tipped the balance for average forum user age to be just under 100 lol

I feel old again :(

Edited by M__

Nope - Eddy's held the record for youngest member at least 2-3 yrs lol :lol:

I don't think Eddy is quite as young or dumb as me :P

I don't think Eddy is quite as young or dumb as me :P

Are you like still at college/uni then?

What are you studying, if you don't mind me asking?

Are you like still at college/uni then?

What are you studying, if you don't mind me asking?

I've just finished my A Levels :P

(Hopefully) off to Uni of Nottingham to study a Physics masters :)