• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Fitness Thread.

M.

Around town I can sometimes manage to do the mile in as little as 2 minutes, and find it less strenuous if I use the cruise control :)

• Like 2

I drive in km, with my van being a German import. ;-)

And they put your steering wheel on the wrong side :rolleyes:

I did athletics at school and clocked:

100yds 11.8 secs

1/5 mile (yes, really!) 54 secs

440 yds 63 secs

880 yds 2 mins 38 secs

mile 5 mins 52 secs

These days I just walk lunchtimes and with my dog but then I'm 6!. I recently did 17 283 steps in a day while away on holiday.

Biggest barrier to exercise is time. It has to be balanced with work, family activities and astronomy.

• 1 month later...

It's diet time, no more messing!

Im logging in the high mileage but ain't eating healthy, need motivation :(

Used to do 200 miles a week on push bike, touring and commuting not too many years ago. Century rides were common place and I was a keen off roader. 2013 saw the end to all that after consultant telling me I was almost the fittest guy in the cemetery.

• 4 weeks later...

I used to be able to run 3 miles twice in 45 seconds lol :lol: :lol:

Edited by Brantuk

And they put your steering wheel on the wrong side :rolleyes:

Lol, and the pedals ;-)

Well, it's a good job they did both... :facepalm:

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

I've been doing that for the last 6 weeks, lost 11 lbs so far, got another stone to loose to get to my ideal weight.

Anybody else looking to shed a few lbs before the year is up?

Me!

We're doing the Santa Fun Run (5K) at the beginning of December as a family and so have started training. Got worried at the start as my weight was 16 st and at 5'10" I think I need to shed a few pounds!

Finding it hard pounding the streets....

Me!

We're doing the Santa Fun Run (5K) at the beginning of December as a family and so have started training. Got worried at the start as my weight was 16 st and at 5'10" I think I need to shed a few pounds!

A few years back I was touching 18 stone at your height, now I'm a tad over 13st, I found the cross trainer was a good start to shifting the timber lol

Try running on grass, I run a lot of road and its started to take its toll on my knees.

Good luck with the run :)

I've been doing that for the last 6 weeks, lost 11 lbs so far, got another stone to loose to get to my ideal weight.

You hitting the gym or just dieting?

You hitting the gym or just dieting?

Both, but as other members on here will tell you, I do like my food, i`m eating a proper sized portion of food per meal now (i.e, not enough for 2 or 3 people) and also doing cardio at the gym (in about 90 minutes I burn 600 calories doing cardio alone, the rest of the time is weights), so now im eating properly and exercising, the weights falling off.

I`m also contemplating taking my kickboxing up again, had to stop fighting in the ring for health reasons but may take up the training again, just don't do the competitions ETC?

Edited by Daz Type-R

And me, but it's a long slow road with the battle of taking different medications, one that not only increase my appetite, but one that also takes my energy away.  But it's all going in the right direction!  :whew:

• 1 month later...
On ‎05‎/‎11‎/‎2015 at 22:28, parklife2uk said:

On ‎05‎/‎11‎/‎2015 at 22:28, parklife2uk said:

Me!

Managed to complete the Santa Fun Run in Loughborough and here's the proof:

Check out 1m 48s

I have to be realistic about things like weight loss and exercise. Since getting my new job, I am working harder and I just don't have as much spare time. More exercise would mean less sleep, less family time and, worst of all, less astronomy.

I'm just hoping to lose the weight I gained this year, maintain my walking level and cut down a bit more on sugar. I will be monitoring things like sleep, depression and stress levels.

I have to be realistic about things like weight loss and exercise. Since getting my new job, I am working harder and I just don't have as much spare time. More exercise would mean less sleep, less family time and, worst of all, less astronomy.

I'm just hoping to lose the weight I gained this year, maintain my walking level and cut down a bit more on sugar. I will be monitoring things like sleep, depression and stress levels.

Regular exercise when done safely has only positive benefits Phil. The literature is very supportive of regular exercise reducing levels of stress and supporting the alleviation of depression (as an adjunct to other therapy) and improves sleep cycle.