• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Penny for ur thoughts

AstroHobbyman

I had eqmod running my AZ eq6gt mount on a Astronomiser http://www.astronomiser.co.uk/eqdir.htm FTDI cable with windows 8.1 which I got because the serial/usb cable that came with the scope did not work , now I have tryed to use  a 30 day trail of  align master software  but no joy and no communication  now that I am using windows 10 build 10586

I tried  another forum for ideas but old drivers are not helping, I could get  http://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/hitecastro-eqdir-adapter.html but could I be too cutting edge on my operating system and need to wait a while?  Computer is happy with the cable , but mount not talking.

Is it something as simple as with the change in operating system a new com port has been assigned?

Have you checked by opening device manager and checking which port has been assigned to the cable and then opened eqmod and checked if the assigned com port in eqmod matches the one listed in Windows device manager?

• Like 1

When you first try to connect to eqmod what happens ????

Does the eqmod window open and then disappear ???

• Like 1

Usually if EQMOD opens and closes(normally does this twice - depending on the retry setting) straight away  because it can't talk to the mount via whatever route you use. As Felix says check that the port checked in the eqmod set up is the same as the port created by FTDI are the same - this includes the speed (normally 9600),Parity,stop bits etc. If you have Stellarium Scope or CDC does this drive the mount ok using the same FDTI set up? - if so then the Alignmaster should work if the settings are the same - if not recheck the settings. Windows 8 and 10 are too close in build to have problems(famous last words) with the same FDTI. I have/am using EQMOD 6.1(not tried 6.2 yet) on Windows 8.1 and windows 10 no problem. It should not need to install drivers from any where other than the std microsoft set as FDTI support is built in as std BUT if its not a fake then use this site http://www.ftdichip.com/FTDrivers.htm.

• Like 1

Just remindered myself the set up when using alignmaster :-

1. Load Alignmaster

2. Set up Ascom settings via "setup" button. This will ask for the mount and then click properties for the com port

3. Use the Test button to see if it works as the setup doesn't test the link to the port/mount

4. if the port is wrong ,r doesn't exist  or it cant connect to the mount you get "Error: Ascom can't connect"

As a test if you select "Ascom Simulator" in the Alignmaster setup does the simulation work(EQMOD window should appear) and Alignmaster works when you choose a star and press "next" ? If it does then its the port/Mount - if this fails Ascom is not installed correctly at a guess

And by "Fake" I mean it uses a Prolific chip not a FDTI chip - the former gave lots of problems on later Windows and after a nice update from Windows to stop "fakes".

Edited by stash

5 hours ago, catman161 said:

Is it something as simple as with the change in operating system a new com port has been assigned?

Have you checked by opening device manager and checking which port has been assigned to the cable and then opened eqmod and checked if the assigned com port in eqmod matches the one listed in Windows device manager?

Thanks for the reply, the assigned com port does not match the one listed in Windows device manager but when then correct match is selected it does not help

5 hours ago, Graham said:

When you first try to connect to eqmod what happens ????

Does the eqmod window open and then disappear ???

yes it does

5 hours ago, xanthic said:

Hi

Have a look at this post and let us know how you get on

https://www.eastmidlandsstargazers.org.uk/topic/10610-windows-10-and-eqmod/#comment-115651

The driver did not help but it could be the prolific using cable that came with the telescope is not up for the job so I may end up with this http://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/hitecastro-eqdir-adapter.html

Hi Neil.

If the box opens and then disappears it is as said above.

You do not have the correct port opened.

Go into eqmod tool box and select find port.

or open the device manager and see what port is assigned to the eqdirect lead. in the toolbox select the correct port number and then test connection -- it should work

5 hours ago, stash said:

Usually if EQMOD opens and closes(normally does this twice - depending on the retry setting) straight away  because it can't talk to the mount via whatever route you use. As Felix says check that the port checked in the eqmod set up is the same as the port created by FTDI are the same - this includes the speed (normally 9600),Parity,stop bits etc. If you have Stellarium Scope or CDC does this drive the mount ok using the same FDTI set up? - if so then the Alignmaster should work if the settings are the same - if not recheck the settings. Windows 8 and 10 are too close in build to have problems(famous last words) with the same FDTI. I have/am using EQMOD 6.1(not tried 6.2 yet) on Windows 8.1 and windows 10 no problem. It should not need to install drivers from any where other than the std microsoft set as FDTI support is built in as std BUT if its not a fake then use this site http://www.ftdichip.com/FTDrivers.htm.

CDC= port not found  eqmod set up is the same as the port created by FTDI  ie port 6 + port setting  correct  I give up thanks for you time!!