• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Obsy time

andyboy1970

Nice one Andy, what are your plans for the roof, lift off, roll off etc?

Nice one Andy, what are your plans for the roof, lift off, roll off etc?

The roof is going to be hinged, the left side will open to just beyond vertical as this is NorthNorthWest and is my most light polluted horizon, the right side will open until it is horizontal and supported by a hinged frame which will pull out from the side of the shed.

For the ridge i'm going to make some ridge caps out of ally which extend about 6-8 inches over the other side, these ally ridge plates will be secured to one side of the roof and the felt will go over these ridge caps.

Nice.

Can't wait to see the finished obsy.

it's going to look great.

• 2 weeks later...

Very slow at the moment -

Roof is on and more or less watertight but still lots to do on the roof.

Only good day to work on it last week was Jubilee Monday and 7 hours of drinking from midday at the football club knocked that on the head.

This week the wife turns 40 so been plotting for that one.

Lastly the foreman cat in the last picture died on Wednesday, so not good...

Guest Steve

Awww. Cats are special - we have 4 - so I feel for you.

(I had to take one of ours for a one-way trip to the vets a couple of years back - I ended up blubbing like a baby!)

Awww. Cats are special - we have 4 - so I feel for you.

(I had to take one of ours for a one-way trip to the vets a couple of years back - I ended up blubbing like a baby!)

We are now down to 3 cats.

She was a pedigree British blue and was only 4 years old.

Roof closed -

001-6.jpg

Roof open -

003-5.jpg

The roof is supported by a hinged frame that pulls out at the top and locates against a beam on the roof.

I am going to make a metal ridge cap at work, when the workshop is finished being refurbished, it will be secured onto the right hand side and the felt will go over it and wrap round.

I will say one thing its damn heavy to open and close.

• 2 weeks later...

008.jpg

Roof now complete after all that rain! The ridge is made from 60 Thou (1.5mm) thick T3 Duralumin, these were cut on a power guillotine and folded to the correct angle with Hydraulic folders. The felt is bonded onto the ridge cap and goes all the way under for a good seal.

009.jpg

South half of roof open. The ridge angle can be seen in this shot.

010.jpg

North and South open. The views to the North are horrendous so the roof only opens far enough to sight Polaris and higher north side targets.

Looks the biz Andy. Roll on dark nights! (but lets have a bit of summer first, just to dry up the rain).

Sorry to hear about the sad passing of your cat.

Cheers. No leaks.

The eaves are all made from a very heavy duty tarp, a bit like what market stalls are made from, they are fitted so they are slightly puffed up and seal when the roof sits on them.

• 2 weeks later...

Latest update - Received pier adapter from Graham @ Astrotec, fantastic custom order and highly recommended, I have drilled the lower plate to fit pier top but that is as far as I have got.

Had a bad cold which decided to head south to my lungs again (Had Pneumonia 5 years ago) so I can't do anything much at the moment.

At least I'm not missing much.

The mount is now on the pier and awaiting final polar alignment.

Yesterday I ran the cables in through the conduit under the floor.

The mount is solid as a rock, I know this because I tried to lift the counterweight arm with me head as I stood up! (ouch!)

The mount is now on the pier and awaiting final polar alignment.

Yesterday I ran the cables in through the conduit under the floor.

The mount is solid as a rock, I know this because I tried to lift the counterweight arm with me head as I stood up! (ouch!)

Welcome to the 'groove in head club' Andy. :wacko:

We have all done it and it bloody hurts don't it.

The good news is you will only do it once, it tends to be engraved on the memory,, literally. :lol: :lol: :lol: