• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Kelling 2020 12th - 19th October

Sheila

32 minutes ago, RonC said:

That doesn't sound good, is the whole site in that state Allan??

Not as bad as mine but muddy 

2 hours ago, RonC said:

Trial set up for Kelling, just to check I've got everything!

Think I need to tidy the wiring up!

large.IMG_6614Wires.jpg.02451fb44ffae09d456311a6427aca17.jpg

A pair of wire cutters would soon sort that out 😆

1 hour ago, Allan the Plumber said:

Wellies very wet muddy here Ron got stuck and had to be pulled off the pitch 

Are you still there Allan?

We just have to put the heavy vehicles on the better pitches. It’s not too bad but pitches have been heavily used by the muggles so quite a few bare patches. Just don’t shoot the folks sorting out when you get here 😱😳

• Like 1

My caravan (and others?) is being delivered and set up on the allocated pitches, but if there's a problem we will try to arrive before they do!!

3 hours ago, RonC said:

My caravan (and others?) is being delivered and set up on the allocated pitches, but if there's a problem we will try to arrive before they do!!

It’s better up the top end Ron is down near the loo block that’s boggy 

3 minutes ago, RonC said:

I'm next to Martyn up the top end so hope it's OK there!

As mentioned Ron it’s okay top-end of field

3 hours ago, Allan the Plumber said:

As mentioned Ron it’s okay top-end of field

I'm on my usual pitch across the road.. is it OK over there Allan?

1 hour ago, Derbyshire Dave said:

I'm on my usual pitch across the road.. is it OK over there Allan?

Seems to be i think it was more my pitch and Graham’s that was boggy

• Thanks 1

With everything that is going on with the weather, social distancing ect 

I have decided that it is just not worth stripping the obs down to go sit in the middle of a muddy field in a tent for a week.

Couple that with what will amount to be isolation in a tent in the cold and rain and it just doesn't appeal.

I only do Kelling to meet up and spend the week with the good folks of EMS and this year with Covid it is just not going to happen.

So after much soul searching I have decided to pass on this year.

I sincerely hope you all have a great time and hope to see you next year.

Hi Graham,

Certainly makes sense, I have been having the exact same debate, if its raining, you cant go sit inside other peoples tents, caravans, motor homes etc, and I certainly am not going in the pub!

Still tempted to go though as sitting in a cold, wet muddy field on my own is certainly more appealing than having to put up with all the crap that im currently dealing with at work 🤣

Sorry to hear graham. But will see you next year. Please don’t forget to book with Kelling by phone so you def get your pitch for next year. 

Daz you can sit in awning although it’s a smaller one as distance can be maintained. Also have bought a heater to put in awning. Only there to Saturday morning but I am ok with that if you want 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cheers Sheila, like I say, probably still going to turn up but I`m only there until Sunday morning, got a holiday clash so go on another holiday on Monday!

I too have decided not to attend this year for almost the same reasons as Graham as well as the later than planned arrival.

Have a good time those that do decide to go.

2 hours ago, Daz Type-R said:

Hi Graham,

Certainly makes sense, I have been having the exact same debate, if its raining, you cant go sit inside other peoples tents, caravans, motor homes etc, and I certainly am not going in the pub!

Still tempted to go though as sitting in a cold, wet muddy field on my own is certainly more appealing than having to put up with all the crap that im currently dealing with at work 🤣

Sounds like work is not going too well Darren.

At least you are having the next couple of weeks away from it.

Enjoy your time away.

I had already booked the week off so I will be sat at home on my own but at least it will be warm and dry 😀

2 hours ago, Sheila said:

Sorry to hear graham. But will see you next year. Please don’t forget to book with Kelling by phone so you def get your pitch for next year. 

Daz you can sit in awning although it’s a smaller one as distance can be maintained. Also have bought a heater to put in awning. Only there to Saturday morning but I am ok with that if you want 

Thanks Sheila.

I will ring them although I have still not had an email from them.

3 hours ago, Graham said:

With everything that is going on with the weather, social distancing ect 

I have decided that it is just not worth stripping the obs down to go sit in the middle of a muddy field in a tent for a week.

Couple that with what will amount to be isolation in a tent in the cold and rain and it just doesn't appeal.

I only do Kelling to meet up and spend the week with the good folks of EMS and this year with Covid it is just not going to happen.

So after much soul searching I have decided to pass on this year.

I sincerely hope you all have a great time and hope to see you next year.

Not surprise either Graham, we'll miss you . Stay safe

Travelling down tomorrow. Do I remember that there was some issue with the A17? Any advice on route would be handy..

4 minutes ago, Derbyshire Dave said:

Travelling down tomorrow. Do I remember that there was some issue with the A17? Any advice on route would be handy..

Haven’t heard or seen any Dave was okay on the way down 

Sheila, Allan, Martyn,

As most people who are coming are on their way Thursday / Friday, is there any pitch swaps that we need to be aware of or are we all on the same pitch as normal (unless already agreed)?

Think Daz it’s take your pick as they’re are a few spare but yours is still okay (condition rather than swapped )

Cheers, bringing plenty of pop as I dont think I will stargazing much, hopefully will get at least 1 night, never had a bad Kelling yet (that's done it).

See you all tomorrow afternoon.