• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hi

Sheila

Tom, had to do it loads of times all ready, people need help to find the dark sites etc, as we don't know who is turning up, I can't really Im everybody, also, when they are on route (like last time) if I did not give people my number some of them could not find it!

Same sort of thing above, until Sheila hits 10 posts, I have no other way of getting in contact with her, can't really have here putting her address on an open forum.

The one downside to being helpfull!

Yes sorry about that, there is now explanation about the private message stuff and the 10 posts until it appeared on some of the messages here. Did not mean to put anyone to any hassle. Suppose this counts as another posts so I should soon be there!

Sheila

not a bad idea although it might look a little strange

Welcome I see your finding the right kind of help.

Daz, not a good idea to post your mobile in an open forum ;)

I think Daz was just saving me posting my personal details on this forum as I am very new

I see that you have details of your scopes etc under your posts. How do I put all that stuff on the bottom of my posts? Still trying to get to 10 posts so that I become a real person in here :)

Sheila

Ahhhh... I see the problem now - keep posting Sheila you're only three away - pop a question in the help section or leave a comment in the imaging section if you see an image you like. Or join in any of the interesting conversations in Astro General chat or Martyns Coffe shop. :)

Sheila, just reply to this another 5 times to get to 10 - I'm sure no-one would mind!

I hope this is the last time I have to post for no reason to be a proper member of the group

Looks like you made it!

Don't know what I made it to. Can't see anything different or any PM buttons?

If you look to the left of where this message appears you will see my profile and some related info, my post count is there. Yours will be next to any messages that you post on the forum.

To send private messages, look in the top left hand side of the screen and there should be a little envolope, that is the private messager system. All pretty self explanitory, if still in doubt, I will show you tommorow.

Sheila,

I had problems setting my equatorial mount up but the guys on the forum are really helpful. My advice is to take your time and do it properly as gotos learn over time and minor errors in alignment can soon compound errors and before you know it you can't find anything. I ended up buying a polar scope and an illuminated reticule eye piece to help me align properly. Also never guess the alignment stars, ALWAYS check that the goto is pointing at the named star and use a star atlas to confirm this until you know your way around.

Firstly before you do anything else make sure that the finder scope points to what you are looking at through the OTA. This can be done in day light by centering a distant object (something easily identifiable eg a church spire or arial etc and as far away as possible at least a mile or two) in an eye piece and then adjusting the finder scope so that the cross hair centres on the target.

On my CGEM mount there is a square pin on top of the tripod and this has to point towards North (I use a compass) then once you have lifted the mount on to the tripod you have to set the latitude. For this part of the country 52 degrees should be ok but this can be checked on google. Next you have to check that you are polar aligned, the simplest way to do this is to take the large plastic screw cap off where the polar scope fits and the small plastic cap off the opposite side of the mount.. I then have to rotate my OTA until it is parallel to the ground and then you should have a hole to sight through. You then need to adjust the mount using the latitude and screw knobs on either side of the sqaure pin to get the mount aligned on Polaris. If you are just sighting through the hole, get polaris in the centre of the hole. This is accurate enough for visual observing but can be done more accurately with a polar scope and this is necessary for astrophotography. Once you have done this then you can start the alignment process. The more stars and calibration stars that you use the more accurate the alignment will be. As said earlier don't guess at this. use a star atlas to confirm the alignment star and when you are sure then you have it centred in the finder and eye piece then press the alignment key on the key pad. Once you have done this process for 2 or 3 alignment stars and 2-4 calibration stars then your mount should be spot on and items that you have requested the mount to goto should be very close to the centre of the eye piece.

Hope this helps

Dave

Hello Sheila, welcome to ems, Have you ever been to a starparty ? you will pick loads of tips there.

Oh and we have one in Lincolnshire in oct ;)

Sheila,

I had problems setting my equatorial mount up but the guys on the forum are really helpful. My advice is to take your time and do it properly as gotos learn over time and minor errors in alignment can soon compound errors and before you know it you can't find anything. I ended up buying a polar scope and an illuminated reticule eye piece to help me align properly. Also never guess the alignment stars, ALWAYS check that the goto is pointing at the named star and use a star atlas to confirm this until you know your way around.

Firstly before you do anything else make sure that the finder scope points to what you are looking at through the OTA. This can be done in day light by centering a distant object (something easily identifiable eg a church spire or arial etc and as far away as possible at least a mile or two) in an eye piece and then adjusting the finder scope so that the cross hair centres on the target.

On my CGEM mount there is a square pin on top of the tripod and this has to point towards North (I use a compass) then once you have lifted the mount on to the tripod you have to set the latitude. For this part of the country 52 degrees should be ok but this can be checked on google. Next you have to check that you are polar aligned, the simplest way to do this is to take the large plastic screw cap off where the polar scope fits and the small plastic cap off the opposite side of the mount.. I then have to rotate my OTA until it is parallel to the ground and then you should have a hole to sight through. You then need to adjust the mount using the latitude and screw knobs on either side of the sqaure pin to get the mount aligned on Polaris. If you are just sighting through the hole, get polaris in the centre of the hole. This is accurate enough for visual observing but can be done more accurately with a polar scope and this is necessary for astrophotography. Once you have done this then you can start the alignment process. The more stars and calibration stars that you use the more accurate the alignment will be. As said earlier don't guess at this. use a star atlas to confirm the alignment star and when you are sure then you have it centred in the finder and eye piece then press the alignment key on the key pad. Once you have done this process for 2 or 3 alignment stars and 2-4 calibration stars then your mount should be spot on and items that you have requested the mount to goto should be very close to the centre of the eye piece.

Hope this helps

Dave

Thanks Dave

I have 2 of your experts coming to help me tonight so hopefully everything will go well and I can get started, providing the clouds disappear and I make it out of my speed awareness course this afternoon :-(

Hello Sheila, welcome to ems, Have you ever been to a starparty ? you will pick loads of tips there.

Oh and we have one in Lincolnshire in oct ;)

I have seen the star party stuff and would love to go, but I am in cornwall that weekend, so unless I just turn up for a few hours on the friday night and then haul all my scope etc down to Cornwall it doesn't look likely, although not impossible!

Sheila

Hi Sheila

http://www.eastmidla...lper-dark-site/

This is here on EMS and will tell you how to get there you may wish to pm a mod to gt the date but am sure it is the 20th July and take the scope any issues you have with said scope mount will be cleared up in no time and a great way to meet the very helpfully and freindly group

Hi

Sorry it's says I do not have permission to view the link you gave me, do I have to do something or register first?

Sheila

Guest telesto

Where is Belper site? and what time, i will see if i can make it. Scope will fit in transport and i can just about pick it up!

Sheila

Hi Shelia

The address of the Belper site is

The Packhorse ground (cricket club)

Sandyford lane

Alderwasley

Belper

Derbyshire

DE56 2DP

If you look in the section, Information & Announcements under Cricket club meeting 2012 there's a map, don't no what time they meeting yet

Cheers Clive

Hi Shelia

The address of the Belper site is

The Packhorse ground (cricket club)

Sandyford lane

Alderwasley

Belper

Derbyshire

DE56 2DP

If you look in the section, Information & Announcements under Cricket club meeting 2012 there's a map, don't no what time they meeting yet

Cheers Clive

Thank you :)

Guest Steve

Crazily you have to be a Dark Site member (subsribed) to find the details - even thugh you do not have to subscribe on your first visit - which is when you need the directions!!!!

Crazily you have to be a Dark Site member (subsribed) to find the details - even thugh you do not have to subscribe on your first visit - which is when you need the directions!!!!

Met Martyn and Daz tonight and got explanation. Have joined now so I should be able to see everything now :ph34r:

Sheila

Yep met Sheila tonight and her lovely if not slightly howling dogs - lol, loved them to bits, they were lovely!

Cracking 1st scope you have there, that will keep you going for ages with no need to upgrade.

Set up, added the dovetail, fixed the very, very, very loose focuser, balanced, collimated and a brief explination of how to polar align and set up the goto and we were done.

Nice to meet you, looking forward to getting you sorted for your first nights viewing (in about 3 months - lol)

Great to meet you Sheila, that is definitely a excellent set up you have.

I'll bet the Dyson gets a thrashing with all those Dog hairs, after we have been round, we have enough fluff to knit another cat!

Look forward to meeting you under darker (and clearer) skies.

Great to meet you Sheila, that is definitely a excellent set up you have.

I'll bet the Dyson gets a thrashing with all those Dog hairs, after we have been round, we have enough fluff to knit another cat!

Look forward to meeting you under darker (and clearer) skies.

Yep met Sheila tonight and her lovely if not slightly howling dogs - lol, loved them to bits, they were lovely!

Cracking 1st scope you have there, that will keep you going for ages with no need to upgrade.

Set up, added the dovetail, fixed the very, very, very loose focuser, balanced, collimated and a brief explination of how to polar align and set up the goto and we were done.

Nice to meet you, looking forward to getting you sorted for your first nights viewing (in about 3 months - lol)

Hi Martyrn and Daz

Many thanks for your help and not making me feel slightly stupid! Have joined the Dark Sites bit but cannot see anything extra on the screen here to look at? I assume stuff will appear if there is anything I need to know. Should be able to make Belper on the 20th, I assume soneone will let me know what time etc.

Dogs were very disappointed that they didn't make you honorary huskies, that would have meant a complete tongue face wash and obligatory complete covering of fur :lol:

Thanks again to you both

Regards

Sheila

Hi Sheila

I'll be posting meeting times etc. nearer the date. I've not had a response from the cricket club secretary yet so plans may change if the club are going to be there. If it's clear :lol: , then it shouldn't be a problem as they won't be playing cricket in the dark.