• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hexy 635mm byclops bino---final steps

Guest black eyed hexy

Guest black eyed hexy

Didn,t mean to give yer more than one parting crease in the scalp Pete , An I take it you aint got head lice --so scratching the head usually mean,s------ trying to wake some dormant cells , -----your confidence on it being comprehensive collimation control was a real cracker , I,m confident your dormant cell,s will crack -er-it ---eventually.

Been working outside today on a stability mechanism between the pier and mount , as I noticed Hexy rock,s (ever so lightly) when the winds blows .

Things are not quite what they seem.

Illusioner Dan

Guest black eyed hexy

Dealt with that one before Martyn,

I,m very adaptive and Hexy will have the optics --but amateurs trying to combine this advanced science are a long way from reality--If I thought for one minute I could achieve that level ---would I ? you damn bet I would .

It conjures up images of seven x 635mm mirrors in my head ---whaaaaaaaaaaar!

WEIGHT ?? --How hard should a five inch scope be to move in situ. in comparison to a 16 inch --balance equalled zero in my calcs.

But I know where ya coming from , Hexy is a true Behemoth---------I made and lifted all the parts myself --a bit more than a few times . I don,t do Gym.

When I first made public that Hexy will be a " Mobile" scope , I heard the sniggers and watched the rolling eyes ---you know what ?? Anyone- at all is welcome to come and push Hexy round and up and down with thier little finger without discomfort ---weight appears to be relative in the laws of physics --you could by yourself see-saw a thousand tons quite comfortably if the fulcrum was long and strong enough.

weight adapted ---Dan

Things are not quite what they seem.

Illusioner Dan

Your right there Dan. In your 648 photo, the sandwiched ply's cannot fit together quite like that. The white plastic bits with two metal pins through are not fixed to either the upper or lower sections. I just cannot work out what these pieces are, or how they can possibly fit in unless their function is just to confuse the mystery further.

I cropped a picture of just one of the white plastic bits with two pins and google image searched. You wouldn't believe what it came up with as similar images. With the flesh colour of the wood and the white of the plastic, I got, among other stuff, girls in white stockings, suspies and knickers :blush: , and that was on the recommended moderate safesearch setting. I might have to take another closer look and see if I can get to the bottom of it ;) .

I did work out (from the size of a 20p), that the overall dimensions of the ply are round about 400mm long by about 250mm wide and the box is about 250mm deep. The length will not even span between the centres of the two mirrors, so therefore it is not something to fit at the back of the mirrors to directly affect anything. So we are back to a remote type control box.

I think you are trying to throw us off course a little here, and we deserve some more clues and photo's of the missing parts for this box.

I managed to work out that the size was too small too. So knowing that it's not to fit or cap the lenses. I'm now thinking it a remote control to help with collimating the scopes and the shape it to help with orientating :)

Edited by Teslar

Guest black eyed hexy

Honest Dan say,s

no misleading here -wouldn,t dream of it . If the blind lead the blind they will both fall in the ditch but one of us ain,t blind , and Dan kinda knows what he,s trying to do ,making as many part,s possible , himself . so some mods might appear to be tricking , but that aint meant , I,m a fair feller . , can,t leave out afterthought,s ,as some are advantageous .

The sandwiched ply,s "WILL " fit together exactly as shown ,that,s the design and it,s staying put.

"Things are not quite what they seem " is a reference to your perception of what you are seeing----------the imagination can be annoyingly illusory .

that is you,re imagination is trying to fill in the missing info.

The white pieces are teflon blocks --and are FLOATING !! that,s the way they need to be --they will function exactly the way you see them , and they will do something very important. to make Hexy purr.

There was a good few involuntary chuckles about the google image search, gonna try that one . just want to see if you missed something , as you intend to take another look .

Exact size of the mystery box is =420mmx230mmx 180 deep ==just the right size for a little green man .

your,e clever idea for it being a remote control box could have been true if you had mentioned it earlier before I started the project , I really like that idea . so remote is so far remote from the actual it could be measured in distant "light waves " ????????? ----- one sometimes has to go with original ideas to to keep the uniqueness .

There are no missing part,s by the way .

Sorry you don,t have the "REMOTEST"

Lightyears away Dan

Is it to grind the mirrors with, so they are both identical and a matched pair?

Loving the thread Dan, and the work so far is amazing.

I have to agree with Martyn, in loving this thread but im at a complete loss as to what they are!

Think I will wait for the finished product.

Confused and completely baffled Daz.

Guest black eyed hexy

Yaaa--wn , had a late un" last night clouds will be moving in soon ,so I,ve trying out my ebay purchase of a lumicon 2 inch 0111 filter amazing the diff.

Stick around a little longer and Perhaps it will all twig very soon At some point --I,ll come and lead you all out of the ditch---but we all know what it,s like --fumbling around in the dark eh !

this is how it was ==

twenty six alien insects

the four legged little creatures have had some surgery to stop them scurrying away

and this is the new mod.

I made 26 more of the paralympic critters --the original 26 will now fit on top of the third ply plate -- next step will involve this little gift from a friend who own,s a wire crimping/wiring loom firm

colour scheme is blue

no remote ---how sad

cabled Dan

Guest black eyed hexy

It might have something to do with grinding -----------------------------you lot down ---haha !

but no It has no affinity with grinding procedures --it will be a permanent functioning member of Hexy,s being ---right under my "nose" ?????????????????

I,m becoming a little six sided in my thinking

Hex-dan-gon

Is the purpose of the teflon blocks for sliding or insulating?

Looks like that reel of cable will eventually form a wiring loom to operate motors and make Hexy purr. So it is a wired-in remote control box, yes?

If the 20p's are finger pads to operate switches, then it seems an odd way of doing it, but possibly a robust way. If that is the case then I'm still confused about the proper workings of the mechanisms although I can just about visualise how the spring loaded bolts move relatve to the ply. But why?

So it fits somewhere below the eyepieces where you can get your fingers to it whilst looking through it.

Does the narrow part of the box fit between Hexy's OTAs or to one side below the eyepiece position?

Why a second layer with teflon?

More clues please Dan.

Fascinated but still baffled Pete

Guest black eyed hexy

Hi Pete,

been working most of today on hexy while weather is dry ==all change soon

my son in law rides endurance motocross and while I consider the sport insanely paced , I do get the used sprockets and chains regularly

this was an attempt to stop excessive movement in wind and also to equal the front facing overhang weight on the pier and mount. there is a 16mm tensioner bolt pulling the chain taut .

The teflon blocks have a dual purpose ==

1. they insulate the keys from possible cross shortening of circuits --if electric gets up into the coin,s it will make the Queens hair stand on end-------------- twenty six times !!!

2. They are drilled/ recessed to fit on the end of the bolt,s , this is to hold the actuator,s in position .

Logic is starting to take hold now --the awakening commences ----------and bingo !! we have here a possible wired in remote control box , albeit of a very strange design-----------------------------------=did I say I was normal ?

"Quote= "if the 20 p pieces are finger pads to operate switches , then it seem,s an odd way of doing it ,but possibly a robust way,.If that is the case then I,m still confused about the proper workings of the mechanisms although I can just about visualise how the spring loaded bolt,s move relative to the ply.But why ?

well Peter =

Push switches are spring loaded either to make contact or break contact / connect circuit or disconnect .

How and why will my royal switches energise the many motors is the make or break of this part of my mysterious thread .

The control console will hang underneath between the scope tubes eyepiece zone ,right under the fat controllers nose in an horizontal position equating to a pair of binocs , excellent -Peter

I,ve worked my butt off to get this scope to an operable state so I think it would be kind on myself to then---- RELAX ---al mightily easy------having full , comprehensive control

why a second layer of teflon ?? the first layer WAS a hoard of spring loaded four footed critters ( --the third board is required to hold them in place --but it meant all the wiring would be too congested -so the mod --

don,t wish to overload you all so digest all that and tell me how the switches work--if you can . there are 14 motors and 26 switches

Switched on Dan

Hi Dan,

I would think that the royal switches will operate relays to energise the motors.

I,ve worked my butt off to get this scope to an operable state so I think it would be kind on myself to then---- RELAX ---al mightily easy------having full , comprehensive control

Switched on Dan

It certainly shows in your photos Dan and a great idea to relax and have everything controllable at your fingertips.

Wonderful job.

Guest black eyed hexy

Hi Pete,

I love puzzles myself but don,t get much chance these day,s ,but I,m into making puzzling thing,s ---get a lap full of this one = from the control console there will be only two wires to each 12 volt DC motor--just two =negative and positive making each motor spin round in one direction ===but I have to be able to reverse each motor to make each scope item move in or out/up or down ==and all from the vicinity of the console where I,ll be seated comfortably ---so the puzzle is --how do I achieve this ?????

I didn,t want loads of toggle switches with reversible contacts as well as operating switches too ,it would have looked like a ruddy cockpit--nice and simple is me . I wanted the controls to look nice , and be simple to operate in the dark if necessary .

I spent many thoughtful moment,s on "HOW"

I will make all the push switches myself from what ever is laying around in the shed . that,s the plan . No relays will be used so where the need is ,I will use a pwm =pulse width modulator . this gives variable speed but keeps the voltage at 12 v so no torque is lost .

Hope you can follow all that, --------------------the puzzle -how do I achieve reverse ??

have a think and another think , followed by another think , then I,ll reveal another clue .

reversible Dan

Interesting, the pwms sound like a good method to vary speed.

So 14 motors and 26 switches, that confuses me a little. I could possibly envisage 14 motors and 16 or 17 switches. One for each motor, a forward and reverse switch to change polarity on all 14 motors and maybe a power on/off switch for the whole remote.

hmmmmmmmm?????????

I'd like to see a list of everything the 14 motors will control. I would have thought you would need more unless you are leaving some adjustments manual.

Cheers Dan,

Full manufacturers specifications for Hexy please.

Then we can get a side-by-side comparison against all the competitors equivalent models ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest black eyed hexy

Hi everyone ,

am back to add a bit more of the mystery box --apologies for the extended delay --family probs slowed the pace --so only operating on my main forum at mo .

Any thing I can reach easily at the eyepiece will be manually operated --i.p.d. --tertiary mirrors and so ,on

Fourteen motors so far --If I need to add more it will require some deep thinking--but for now--I,ve finished the control box and tested the functions --everything works fine .

Her,s a list of what the fourteen motors will operate==

three motors on each mirror cell=collimating

one motor on each sliding focuser x2

one motor on each tube for vertical and horizontal alignment =image merging x 2

one motor for altitude motion

one motor for azimuth motion

one motor on each diagonal mirror but both will work together x 2

=14 motors

there are two switches per motor control via a pwm controller --all with a reverse polarity circuit inside the coffin box .

I will show the reverse circuit in next post

on the circuit---- Dan

Guest black eyed hexy

Yes Tom ,

as opposed to the tv remote idea- it is a wired remote format since Hexy is a simple beast , and I,m a simple thinker,-- perhaps you noticed that .

Next bigger scope will have fibre optic controls if it don,t cost too much , otherwise it will be radio frequency operated ,somehow.

Finally moving on to glass melting next, as the energy company have been and updated the overhead wires now and have removed one fat black multiwire which sailed across my dome view , but given me a fatter new pole to the east .

Thank,s Dan