• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Star Party lights

Cazz

We're just getting - or at least trying to - get equipment organised for Kelling, our first ever star party.

Now we know that we need red lights in our campervan and trailer tent, I had the splendid thought that I have some old dark room safe lights - which are red, well so I thought - one of them is an orangy colour.

Now it's a proper dark room light, suitable for doing black and white photography, but is it suitable for a star party? Or is it best to bring it for an assessment? I don't want to upset or get moaned at by others. :unsure:

Hi

someone told me just red lights and said get cheap inspection light and replace bulb with very low wattage red light. B & Q had inspection lights about £3.00 plus got low power red bulb

Hope this helps but I am sure some more experienced will answer as well

Cheers

Sheila

Those dark room lights serve a similar purpose to astronomy red lights - so I can't see it being a problem - but you'll soon know if it is cos everyone around you will let you know in no uncertain terms lol.

You can allways put a red sweet wrapper over a torch to achieve the same effect. We use a mains plug in light socket on a portable dimmer switch in the awning and caravan - very effective - you can get them on ebay for a fiver each or less :)

Cheers guys, I'll bring it along and test the water, I'll bring a tin hat too, lol.

I've been on the look out for some red stuff to put over out strip light, but as yet I've not landed lucky. At least we already have these lights, 2 red and this orangy one, the newest one is 20 years old and the older ones are - well I've no idea but the cable is like a thick version of fairy lights wire. :ph34r:

What's the red light rule if it's cloudy or even raining?

Hobby craft sell red acetate sheets if you need any.

I've not looked there, I will now though, thank you. Are they suitable to go over a laptop or netbook screen? So many things I didn't know I could worry about, lol.

You can also use red fingernail varnish on regular torches. And at Kelling the trade stands often have low power bayonet type light bulbs for normal sockets. But of course the traders don't turn up till Saturday. Here's a couple of links to the items I mentioned above:

http://compare.ebay....sbar&adtype=pla

http://www.amazon.co...E/dp/B004V9A7IQ

http://www.bltdirect...ight-bulbs/4735

The red pygmy bulbs are good, I had some years ago in my obsy working from dimmers. They are the deepest red colour whereas most of the other red bulbs available are more orangey and too bright.

Thanks for those links Kim.

I might be wrong, but I think the clip on fittings in your post are 22mm large bayonet cap, but the pigmy bulb is 15mm small bayonet cap, so may not work together.

I'd like to rig up a couple of these lights on dimmers in my garage, but after a quick search, could not find any bulb holders that actually state they are 15mm SBC.

Perhaps Kim or someone could confirm whether the bulb and fitting are compatible or recommend another fitting or adaptor.

Cheers.

They have 1 large bayonet pygmy 15w left on Amazon, (I bought the other, and a clip on light fitting!) :)

Good point Pete - I didn't check the sizes - the clip on filters are standard household ligthbulb bayonet fittings so make sure you get the correct size if choosing a pigmy bulb.

I have both a pigmy and a standard household sized red bulb which are just as effective. They're a bit brighter than the pigmies but if using a dimmer then you can set it to an acceptable level with no problem. Actually my pigmy bulb is quite bright so it does need turning down quite a bit too lol :)

Cheers all, sorted now.

Just ordered these off ebay, possibly a tad cheaper than Kims links.

/>http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160836088678?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2648

/>http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110932963588?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2648

/>http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120711444568?var=420028983799&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

The bulb and fitting are the larger bayonet cap.

Cheers Kim,

I previously had the 15 watt, and the more you got dark adapted the more they needed dimming, so I went for 15w again.

Got a dimmer switch and also a couple of red 'fire' bulbs 40w for electric fires, again a dimmer if I need it, I'm sorted I hope!!

Ron,

With 40 watt fire bulbs, I reckon you'll need some red film, and a light shade as well as the dimmer :D .

Especially if you plan to see anything other than the full moon :) .

I tried them first :P .

Oh...lol I bought the fireglow bulbs too! Oh dear seems I made a booboo there haha.....so what IS the choice red tent/van light and the type for outside? I was thinking of some red glowsticks around the legs of the mount so I could see where they were....or is that a nono? I also bought a bike light, the back red one for use on the table so I can see bits.....again is that another nono? seems i'm gonna get shouted at!

I have to stick my hand up and say I use fire glow bulbs, but with a dimmer.

I haven't had any problems using them, even at Kelling no one threatened my life.

They did abuse an ambulance on an emergency call out though. So it shows the level of venom coming your way if you don't get it right.

I bought one of these, £3.99 free post...

/>http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170614642756?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

It is rather bright, so I covered it with red electrical tape and it is now just a dim soft light ideal for hanging on a tripod.

Cazz could clip one on the dogs collar. Could be useful to have a bit of warning if he's about to wee on one of the scopes :D .

Red lights are fun at Star Parties but it's worth remembering;

...I bright red light is still a bright light.

...Red might be good for human eye night vision but an imager still sees red (infact we modify our DSLR's for that very reason).

So if you see someone imaging and wander up to them with a red light stuck on your forehead like a Dalek and shine it down his telescope he might still ask you to politely leave.

So if you see someone imaging and wander up to them with a red light stuck on your forehead like a Dalek and shine it down his telescope he might still ask you to politely leave.

You imagers must be extremely mild mannered people :lol: .

By the way, Daleks use blue headlights :D .

Thanks for the tips, pointers and links everyone, I seem to have started something here. We're already fairly dark adapted, before when camping a friend approached our light with a torch to see if it was on or not, lol. He took pity on us and offered us his torch - which we didn't need, it was bright enough for us.

Our dark room lights are infact 15w pygmy bulbs with a coloured dome cover over them, so I'm very pleased I've hung onto these for many years - I knew they would come in handy one day.

I like the dog light comment - you know him so well lol. He has a massive big bell and a strobe light to wear, :P . As for the venom coming my way - I'll set the dog on them, he can cock his leg that way :blush:

Next question :ph34r: What's the thoughts on the little 12 volt car marker or trailer lights type of thing. We have a couple we bought from a bargain bin for another project - which hasn't happened yet. :huh: