• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Takahashi scopes

Speed

So not wanting to open a can of worms here but   Takahashi  scopes  very expensive ( especially the add ons )   are they worth it  ? 

• Like 1

They are but having said that there is now more high end kit available than there used to be.

When I got my 102 20 plus years ago it was better than anything I had looked through at the time.

Disclaimer you still need decent mount and seeing for it to work and only you can decide if the extra £'s is worth the improvement.

• Like 1

I can only speak of my experience with a baby tak, not really looked through other sizes (have imaged remotely with sky99 and fsq 10 something) and I would say yes. 

Ive had many different types and makes of scopes over the years and I have never been so impressed optically and buildwise. Some come close but the tak is up there

I must confess, i've never looked through one, of any sort, or even seen one out in the field.

I would like to see if i'm missing out on anything...!

In all seriousness, i'm sure you get what you pay for. 

I can't really add anything more.

• Like 1

I've no doubt that they are excellent, but I'm not sure my ageing eyes would be able to tell the difference between a Tak and something 2/3rds the price.  The weak link is often the eyeball and its associated brain, not the hardware.

• Like 2

I am with you there Bryan, I can see the detritus floating about in my eyeballs, particularly the one I shot myself in with a Gat gun in my early teens. I guess the resolution drops off with age too.

12 hours ago, bryand said:

I've no doubt that they are excellent, but I'm not sure my ageing eyes would be able to tell the difference between a Tak and something 2/3rds the price.  The weak link is often the eyeball and its associated brain, not the hardware.

Exactly that Bryan.

34 minutes ago, BAZ said:

I am with you there Bryan, I can see the detritus floating about in my eyeballs, particularly the one I shot myself in with a Gat gun in my early teens. I guess the resolution drops off with age too.

This is why binoviewing is so good.

Issues like 'floaters' and other imperfections you collect as you age become non issues.

Your brain combines the images from both eyes and does a miraculous job, presenting you with an optimal view.

Now there`s a thought  my right eye is the dominant one  so maybe this may be the way to go in the future   

• Like 1

We are a growing fraternity here, with our binoviewers.

Next time we have a meet, pop along (first one is free) and take a look.

We arrange ad hoc meets these days, rather than pre arranged meets. That way its generally clear skys, as we meet when the weather is good, rather than bad.

We meet at Wymeswold CC and Tannenbaum campsite near Belper.

Mostly WW, as it has a clubhouse we supposedly have access to, and it more sheltered.

Belper gets very cold in the winter ; its high up and badly exposed to wind.

Both sites are Bortle Class 5 generally.

• 4 weeks later...

Did you say you were getting a used one Dave....?

Or are you getting it new from Flo or RVO ?

Only thing i can say is it will be well worth the wait ☺️

And it will be summer....😀

Pros and cons there....

They rarely appear in the 'for sale sections' from what i can see, so sourcing one that way is unlikely.

Which can only mean they must be that good that no-one wants to part with them !!

HI yes I have contacted the owner a few weeks ago  being so new I hoped the warranty was transferable  but unfortunately Takahashi  do not allow this    to be honest I would like a warranty for piece of mind    unless I know the owner   

I've never seen a one let alone look through one but all this talk of Tak's is making me feel like I'm missing something 😕 

Edited by Glafnazur
missed word
  • Haha 1