• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Vixen to Losmandy adapter

Stu

I'm on the lookout for the above-mentioned item so I can mount a Losmandy style plate on my Vixen style saddle. The ones I've found are quite pricey so if anyone has a spare knocking around then let me know 👍

Have you got that mixed up Stu ?

A Losmandy plate is too wide to fit onto a Vixen Saddle.

Do you mean instead a Losmandy to Vixen adapter ?

So your Vixen mounting bar sits into the adapter which attaches normally in the Losmandy saddle ?

If so, yes, i'm sure i have one sitting about somewhere. Although it may take some hunting down.

You don't say what mount this is for.  If you have a scope or other kit which needs a Losmandy rail, it might be too hefty for your existing Vixen saddle and you'll need to upgrade the saddle, probably to a dual Vixen/Losmandy type.

It's a SW AZ-EQ5. ADM do an adapter with a vixen dovetail underneath a Losmandy clamp that will sit in my saddle, around about £150. Or a dual saddle for that mount is just under £200. I'm selling my 150PDS, hub and PC are mounted on the extended dovetail bar on top of it, with the Scopos TL805 being much smaller I was thinking about mounting it on riser blocks on a wider plate so I can mount them underneath the scope. William Optics do a wide vixen plate but it's not as big as the Losmandy types available. 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adm-vixen-type-v-series/adm-vixen-to-losmandy-adapter.html 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-mount-accessories/adm-dual-saddle-upgrade-for-heq5-neq6-avx-zeq-ioptron.html

Edited by Stu

I've a 6" dual Vixen/Losmandy clamp from my iOptron AZ Mount pro which you are welcome to try (going cheap).  Dunno if any of the holes will fit the pattern for your mount though.

large.clamp.JPG.ecc82c5ce4ab85c8475318902b006797.JPG

10 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

Arr, I understand what you mean now Stu.

Sorry, I don't have one of those.

Thanks for checking 👍

9 hours ago, bryand said:

I've a 6" dual Vixen/Losmandy clamp from my iOptron AZ Mount pro which you are welcome to try (going cheap).  Dunno if any of the holes will fit the pattern for your mount though.

large.clamp.JPG.ecc82c5ce4ab85c8475318902b006797.JPG

Nice one, thanks. 

Mine is as below

large.Screenshot_20230317_082426_Gallery.jpg.ce4cd8b383040856a04969139fe5334b.jpg

That would've been a very happy coincidence. Cheers for having a look 👍

I've grumbled about this before, but why can't there be some sort of standardisation in this hobby ??  😧

Look at how many different tripod to mount connection variations there are, and two different saddle plate

options, with fitting holes that are hardly ever the same from mount to mount. It can be infuriating and makes it overly hard work for vendors and amateurs alike ☹️

The hobby is expensive enough already......isn't it  ??

(Grumble over 😉)

8 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

The hobby is expensive enough already......isn't it  ??

Definitely! I'm going to have a rethink, the wide vixen plate is half the price of the adapter, then I've still got to buy a plate to go in it. It doesn't come in gold though ☹️

Are either of these any use?  e.g. bolting underneath a plain Losmandy clamp to make your adapter:

large.dovetailz.JPG.703355873b8fd745b521c936643a2860.JPG

11 hours ago, bryand said:

Are either of these any use?  e.g. bolting underneath a plain Losmandy clamp to make your adapter:

large.dovetailz.JPG.703355873b8fd745b521c936643a2860.JPG

That's an idea. I guess I could do that with your dual saddle if you're still ok to let it go?

1 hour ago, Stu said:

That's an idea. I guess I could do that with your dual saddle if you're still ok to let it go?

I hadn't thought that far ahead.  Like this, you mean?

large.assembly.JPG.ef3c25bf28a3a77ffdd96ae51a0f8b6e.JPG

Just the saddle and dovetail, not the Redcat.  Message me for details.

Bryan

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

Not sure if you are still chasing one of these, but i spotted this one for sale on ABS

All sorted but thanks for the heads up

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.