• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

cant decide !

Guest flames UK

Guest flames UK

im going to add a few bits to my set up this weekend and any thoughts would be much appreciated

telrad or errect image 90 9x50 ?????? cant decide on a finder

also going to purchase a nebula filter but unsure what to get , is there a best all round filter ?

i have an 8" skywatcher dob

any input would be great help

I personally prefer the telrad.

Very easy to use and there are charts that help with star hopping.

Not sure about the filter so will leave that to someone more knowledgeable.

Guest flames UK

Cheers mate , im pretty new to this and just finding my way . Would it be a good idea to have telrad and finder ? Or would it make the dob top heavy , they look quite beefy

There are people who use both.

You would require a balance weight i would think.

The telrad is quite chunky but is very light.

There will be many more answers for you as more members log in.

Welcome to EMS, the friendly bunch :)

Guest flames UK

Thanks John , I do like the look of telrad . The forum is great , some people on here have amazing knowledge and are most friendly , thanks for the info 😃

I'm sure you can have both. But if you start adding big heavy eyepieces into the equation and cameras etc then you're looking at getting some sort of fairly large magnet to put on bottom of OTA to counterbalance.

Daz type R has both telrad and RACI 9x50 finder scope and uses a Hyperion mark 3 zoom lense (fairly heavy) he's worth asking if he needs to use counterweight. Same scope as us 200P.

Have you flocked yours yet? That's definitely worth doing.

Felix

Cheers felix , was lookin at the flocking material , does it make a good difference ? I do have a bit of pollution from street lights

I didn't think it would, but it definitely does. Use the black velour stuff from wilkos. That's what I and many others on here used-worked a treat. Don't forget to the inside of your focuser tube too :)

Guest flames UK

Ah dint even think of doin inside of focus tube , thanks for the info felix , il get on it at the weekend 😃

Ah dint even think of doin inside of focus tube , thanks for the info felix , il get on it at the weekend 😃

after struggling for weeks with new newt, the telrad saved me from going mad. Telrad all the way without a doubt

sheila

Yep as Felix said above, I run a Telrad, a 9x50 raci, a Baader zoom ep, wixey digital angle gauge, an electric focuser motor and more dew heater straps than you can shake a stick at, the result, an OTA that is so easy to use but is very, very front end heavy, no matter how much I tighten the handles on the dob, the OTA still drops down to the floor, the answer, big counter weight stuck on the OTA, wrapped in tape and then wrapped in an old bike inner tube to stop it sliding off when the OTA gets wet with dew.

Works an absolute treat, the OTA is now perfectly balanced to the point I don't need the handles on the dob to hold it!!!!!

What ever angle I leave the OTA at, it stays!

Edited by Daz type-r

Telrad for me as well.

If you are into star hopping and use CduC they come with telrad 4 degree circles so you can match the view via the telrad to view on your laptop.

I use both telrad and raci and heavy eyepieces too - trouble is the scope now nosedives and I need a 3 kilo weight on the mirror box to counterbalance it and the motors grind lol. Can't beat a telrad for star hopping though :)

Guest flames UK

Cheers guys . Telrads a defo ! Found a place near brum that stocks them, called sherwoods - on the phone the guy says they keep a good range of scopes n accessories in a showroom ! Il let ya'l know what its like as I've found it's almost impossible to find an actual shop for this stuff

I am sure Telrad do a chart for that. lol

On the subject of Telead charts, check out the guides and tutorials section in the beginners section, I have uploaded some Telrad charts listing every Messier object by constalation.

After reading this thread I've just bought some sticky flock material from first light optics. Keen to see what a difference it makes. Not to pricey either which is nice. I love modding stuff

That flocking material is best applied after a very light spray of water on the inside surface of the tube first. This will enable you to move it slightly into position if you don't get it right first time. On a dry surface that impact adhesive sticks instantly and is a bugger to get off.

You then need to give it 48hrs in a dry warm room to evaporated the spray leaving the adhesive and material firmly fixed in place. This is advice that I ignored and regretted it lol :)

Also thinking of eyepieces , with a 200p dob what would be best size eyepiece for say Orion nebula ?

Get thé Hyperion zoom mark III lens 8-24mm then your covered for all the in between. Scan sky in 24 mm and then when you have found ya target simple turn of the click wheel to zoom in :)