• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

cant decide !

Guest flames UK

Guest flames UK

I see the clickstop zoom can also be purchased with a Barlow as a whole kit , that could be good , one eyepiece could even go up to planetary mag . I know the zoom itself is parfocal , does the same apply when used with the Barlow ? At £240 it seems expensive but actually cheaper than buying individual eyepieces

You won't be disappointed Carl, it is a great eyepiece, without going into the same debt as Greece.

For the Orion Nebula I would suggest a low magnification, as it is a vast object. I don't go above around 50x, unless you want to see the trapezium stars in the middle. Then it's a challenge to see how many you can get.

As for filters, I have a OIII, and a UHC, which bring out different amounts of detail in various objects.

The Veil is better with the OIII, but visible in the UHC. But this is also down to personal choice, since we all perceive the views differently.

It can also be a bit of a challenge to find the objects, as with the OIII most of the stars disappear, this isn't so bad with the UHC.

See if you can have a look through some before you buy, that way you will be happy with what you get.

Guest flames UK

You won't be disappointed Carl, it is a great eyepiece, without going into the same debt as Greece.

For the Orion Nebula I would suggest a low magnification, as it is a vast object. I don't go above around 50x, unless you want to see the trapezium stars in the middle. Then it's a challenge to see how many you can get.

As for filters, I have a OIII, and a UHC, which bring out different amounts of detail in various objects.

The Veil is better with the OIII, but visible in the UHC. But this is also down to personal choice, since we all perceive the views differently.

It can also be a bit of a challenge to find the objects, as with the OIII most of the stars disappear, this isn't so bad with the UHC.

See if you can have a look through some before you buy, that way you will be happy with what you get.

thanks martyn , think il go for a UHC but will wait to get clickstop zoom as then can get a 2' filter , only have 1.25 eyepieces at mo :)

thanks martyn , think il go for a UHC but will wait to get clickstop zoom as then can get a 2' filter , only have 1.25 eyepieces at mo :)

The Clickstop is a 1.25 inch eye piece so theres no points with a 2 inch filter; it does have an adapter to make it fit in a 2 inch hole though, you'd be wasting your money buying a 2 inch filter though

The Baader click stop zoom is a great way to get an instant collection of 5 eyepieces in one and is several significant steps up in quality from supplied eyepieces. It will make any of the mass produced scopes from 130mm upwards into a proper instrument. It's great for general observing and very flexible allowing dslr's to be attached for afocal imaging on a driven mount).

It's very useful for refining accuracy in polar alignment (eq mounts), and has adjustable eye relief, but the fov narrows a little at the low power end, and the grease in some models can stiffen on very cold nights (easilly resolved with adequate dew heating).

Most folks like this eyepiece - some don't get on so well with it - so I recommend you borrow one at a meeting and try it out for yourself before buying. I wouldn't be without mine - but don't see a great benefit in the barlow.

Up against some focusers it can be a tight squeeze to lock in place - so I use the 2" barrel to make it easier and prevent any lateral slippage. HTH :)

Guest flames UK

well i came back from sherwoods with a bit of a selection yesterday ,they have a pretty good stock !!!!

BAADER HYPERION ZOOM mark111

TELRAD FINDER

UHC FILTER 1.25

LRP FILTER 1.25

+tripod for the wifes canon dslr

following the great advice , going to print off the telrad maps today

had a quick go with the hyperion [even though its was cloudy]last night and its a big old beast !!!

,just need a good night to have a play :D also flocking material arrived from flo , will be busy and skint for a while :blink: