• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

New member hello

JonW

Hi guys, 

Jon here - based in central Leicester and getting ready to start diving neck deep into this hobby.

Having had limited success over the years with both a Reflector, and a Refractor, I've decided this is the year to gear up and go for it.  I picked up a Celestron NexStar 6SE at new year, and have now added; 7mm & 9mm X-Cel LX EPs, a BST StarGuider 15mm and a Meade 4000 32mm Plossl, to compliment the supplied 25mm Plossl.  Hopefully a decent enough spread to start viewing some planets and DSO's - having spent a lot of time over Xmas messing around on astronomy.tools,  trying different EP's and targets for size!

I've added a Celestron Powertank, so I'm not burning through AA batteries, and also an Astro-Gadget Aux-Fi dongle which I've been successful in connecting to SkySafari 7 Plus on my iPhone.  Although I've got the handset with the Nexster, I wanted the Wi-fi to avoid having to input date, time & GPS.  (and as I'd read very mixed reports on the success of Wi-fi dongle stability, I also figured the wired SkyAlign handset would be a good fallback if Wi-fi failed when I'm camping out in a dark field)

So - got all the gear... but no idea! 😄 

My objective was to make it as 'grab & go' as possible, as garden viewing is a no go (small court yard garden, with a 3 story house's brick wall obscuring 80% of the rear-view sky!).   I've not managed yet to get the red-dot finder scope set up.  I was going to do it at home, but I can't leave the scope up due to the kids, and have no suitable targets visible out the back.

My thoughts are ill have to try it when I actually get out somewhere, and hope everything else works, but with the current freezing conditions, and cloudy skies,that hasn't happened yet.

Hopefully the next few weeks might see some better look and I can get my head around set up - I'm keen to attend this sites dark skies site once I'm more fluent with the mechanics!

If there is anyone local to me who knows this scope/set-up, and is up for a buddy set up, please let me know (whether WhatsApp, or some joint viewing out!) that would be great!

Cheers all,

Jon 

Hi Jon, welcome aboard. Im from Leicester myself, although I reside in Ilkeston now. Our site at Wymeswold isn't far to travel from there. What mount is your scope on?

4 minutes ago, tuckstar said:

Hi Jon, welcome aboard. Im from Leicester myself, although I reside in Ilkeston now. Our site at Wymeswold isn't far to travel from there. What mount is your scope on?

Hi Tuckstar, thanks! and good to meet you. 🙂 

Wymeswold is definitely on my 'to do' list!  Is there a sensible time of year to start considering it for best views & temperatures combinations at all?  Do people tend to go solo, or are there group get togethers?

The 6SE came with a go-to mount supplied - not sure on its name, but its as per this URL:  https://www.celestron.com/products/nexstar-6se-computerized-telescope

Thanks 

Sensible time of year, ha ha, its best when its clear and cold. Any time between August and May are best. I'm fact I know people who pack up for the summer. Its always a balance between darkness, temperature, weather and work for me.

When/ if you become a darksite member, you are free to visit as you wish. You will be able to see a meeting thread where people will shout if they are heading to dark site or you can just go unannounced if you want a solo section. You will also have access to our Belper site, which is a bit farther out for you but noticeably darker. We do have key holders for the Wymeswold site, but only for the building which we don't access to at present anyway, but the site is always available with the exception of the cricket club or scouts having something on. 

Hi Jon

Welcome EMS.  There is a possibility of a few meeting up at Wymeswold on Wednesday.  Unfortunately I can't make it.  Don't worry about aligning your RDF before coming along I'm sure there will be assistance whenever you can make it..

Hi Jon, and welcome to the forum. If you have any questions then just ask away, I'm sure someone here will have the answer or will know where to find it.

14 hours ago, tuckstar said:

Sensible time of year, ha ha, its best when its clear and cold. Any time between August and May are best. I'm fact I know people who pack up for the summer. Its always a balance between darkness, temperature, weather and work for me.

When/ if you become a darksite member, you are free to visit as you wish. You will be able to see a meeting thread where people will shout if they are heading to dark site or you can just go unannounced if you want a solo section. You will also have access to our Belper site, which is a bit farther out for you but noticeably darker. We do have key holders for the Wymeswold site, but only for the building which we don't access to at present anyway, but the site is always available with the exception of the cricket club or scouts having something on. 

Thanks Tuckstar - I suspect I need to quickly invest in a good coat, gloves & flask then!

14 hours ago, Streetbob said:

Hi Jon

Welcome EMS.  There is a possibility of a few meeting up at Wymeswold on Wednesday.  Unfortunately I can't make it.  Don't worry about aligning your RDF before coming along I'm sure there will be assistance whenever you can make it..

Thanks Bob - Weds might be a challenge, but great news on the RDF - thanks!  I'll get registered for dark site today anyway, so will be ready to roll.  What time would the meet commence if I can get free?  thx

49 minutes ago, Glafnazur said:

Hi Jon, and welcome to the forum. If you have any questions then just ask away, I'm sure someone here will have the answer or will know where to find it.

Thanks Glafnazur - I'm sure I'll be taking you up on that!  😄 

Welcome Jon. Yep, warm coat, gloves, hat and more importantly socks are a must for astro at this time of year.

Welcome to EMS Jon, really needed some warm clothing last night!!

1 hour ago, RonC said:

Welcome to EMS Jon, really needed some warm clothing last night!!

I've just seen its due to be -3 quite early on in the evenings this week too!  

I might have to defer my first proper night a week or so - I was braced for '0' degrees, but for a first night proper, I want to concentrate on my scope - not staying alive!!!  😄 

2 hours ago, philjay said:

Welcome Jon. Yep, warm coat, gloves, hat and more importantly socks are a must for astro at this time of year.

Cheers Phil - yep, definitely going to check layers.  I think I'm good for padded coat, hat, thermal/fleece top and leggings + boots.  I reckon I need to sort better socks and a flask out.

Guessing a blanket too - either to; unpack on, rest my accessories on, sit on, or wrap around me to prevent death :-d 

Quick Q - what does everyone recommend or use for: -

1. Torch/lighting:  I have a head lamp with red light option, but conscious its got 2 white light LED settings which are easily selected when you have to rotate selections to turn off.
  2. Dew shield and/or dew heater:  Necessary?  Ive got the Celestron Nexus 6SE which I believe could be quite susceptible to dew?
  3. Storage/carrying accessories: I've got 5 EP's in their original packaging (then odds & ends like a moon filter, wi-fi aux-in, battery pack, diagonal...)

Does anyone on here have the Celestron 6SE 9or 8SE even)?

Thanks in advance

17 hours ago, tuckstar said:

Hi Andy - fyi, I've now joined the Darksite membership..  will start perusing and see when is best to tag on for a maiden visit! 🙂 

3 hours ago, JonW said:

1. Torch/lighting:  I have a head lamp with red light option, but conscious its got 2 white light LED settings which are easily selected when you have to rotate selections to turn off.
  2. Dew shield and/or dew heater:  Necessary?  Ive got the Celestron Nexus 6SE which I believe could be quite susceptible to dew?
  3. Storage/carrying accessories: I've got 5 EP's in their original packaging (then odds & ends like a moon filter, wi-fi aux-in, battery pack, diagonal...)

Thanks in advance

Hi Jon, welcome to the madhouse, or rather, welcome to EMS.

Your questions....

1. The red light option is good. This is the one i use, which i can recommend highly. The white bit and the red bit are independent from each other and its tilt-able.

https://www.torchdirect.co.uk/products/coast-hl4-led-head-torch?_pos=1&_psq=coast+hl4&_ss=e&_v=1.0

2. With a catadioptric type scope ie SCT / Mak etc, yes absolutely. The corrector plates are 'dew magnets'

Go for the wrap around shield, and look into heater options. Celestron also do a 'heated ring' This is what they look like

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dew-prevention/celestron-dew-heater-ring-for-sct.html

3. Storage / carrying accessories. 

All  sorts of options here. Look for 'flight cases' with pullout foam pieces. So you basically 'customise' the interior for what you need.

Heres one of mine i recently picked up.

Plenty of food for thought.

Regarding your scope, i'm a 'refractor guy' so only use and observe with those now (Cooldown and collimation are a thing of the past !! 😀)

I have used Newtonians and have some experience there, but with SCTs etc, not so much and there are people on here who can help you better than me.

Hope to meet you up at one of our meets. ATB 🙂

14 minutes ago, Bino-viewer said:

Hi Jon, welcome to the madhouse, or rather, welcome to EMS.

Your questions....

1. The red light option is good. This is the one i use, which i can recommend highly. The white bit and the red bit are independent from each other and its tilt-able.

https://www.torchdirect.co.uk/products/coast-hl4-led-head-torch?_pos=1&_psq=coast+hl4&_ss=e&_v=1.0

2. With a catadioptric type scope ie SCT / Mak etc, yes absolutely. The corrector plates are 'dew magnets'

Go for the wrap around shield, and look into heater options. Celestron also do a 'heated ring' This is what they look like

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dew-prevention/celestron-dew-heater-ring-for-sct.html

3. Storage / carrying accessories. 

All  sorts of options here. Look for 'flight cases' with pullout foam pieces. So you basically 'customise' the interior for what you need.

Heres one of mine i recently picked up.

Plenty of food for thought.

Regarding your scope, i'm a 'refractor guy' so only use and observe with those now (Cooldown and collimation are a thing of the past !! 😀)

I have used Newtonians and have some experience there, but with SCTs etc, not so much and there are people on here who can help you better than me.

Hope to meet you up at one of our meets. ATB 🙂

Thanks Rob, good to meet you!

I've just ordered the Celestron heat ring and the matching dew shield from Rother Valley (and a cheap and hopefully cheerful £5 12v DC splitter off Amazon, just to get me going for the moment!)

I've bookmarked the torch light, ready for when funds have restocked again - it's been an expensive few weeks, and I can tell that isn't going to stop with this hobby!  😄  I'll fudge by using my head torch for the moment and just be careful to cover up and not 'white-light' anyone when I switch off.

Thanks for confirming on the case/pull-put foam plan - I've seen loads on amazon so will get something measured up and ordered from there in due course.  Love your flight case - is that the Baader Hyperion (modded) one by any chance?

5 hours ago, JonW said:

Thanks in advance

If you're worried about the white light coming on and you don't use otherwise then put some red nail varnish/paint over them!

29 minutes ago, RonC said:

If you're worried about the white light coming on and you don't use otherwise then put some red nail varnish/paint over them!

It's my go-to DIY torch, so it is used... however, you've got my thinking - I'll investigate whether or not some skilfully positioned masking/insulation tape might be a suitable short-term fix!  

Thanks Ron! 🙂 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Glafnazur said:

I use Oklop padded bags for my eyepieces, diagonals and filters. I prefer them to the hard cases.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/telescope-bags-cases-storage/oklop-padded-bag-for-eyepieces-and-accessories.html

20240115_174630

20240115_174533

thanks Dave, that looks a strong contender actually 👍

4 hours ago, JonW said:

Thanks for confirming on the case/pull-put foam plan - I've seen loads on amazon so will get something measured up and ordered from there in due course.  Love your flight case - is that the Baader Hyperion (modded) one by any chance?

Yes, well spotted. It is indeed a Baader Hyperion case. They sell them at Rother Valley. 
I wanted it for the ‘pre cut foam’ because this eyepiece set (Vixen LVWs) are almost identical in size, so ideal. 
Also with the the foam pluckout diy cases, i often make a bit of a hash of it if i’m honest. 
Personally, i prefer a good sturdy hard case for my eyepieces. I’m clumsy and would end up treading on a soft case. That said eyepieces are pretty robust things. 

33 minutes ago, Bino-viewer said:

Yes, well spotted. It is indeed a Baader Hyperion case. They sell them at Rother Valley. 
I wanted it for the ‘pre cut foam’ because this eyepiece set (Vixen LVWs) are almost identical in size, so ideal. 
Also with the the foam pluckout diy cases, i often make a bit of a hash of it if i’m honest. 
Personally, i prefer a good sturdy hard case for my eyepieces. I’m clumsy and would end up treading on a soft case. That said eyepieces are pretty robust things. 

Id been looking at it earlier and it really stood out - 1 day for me maybe, when/if I get better EP's (got to see something with the one's Ive got first though!). 😄

I've just ordered the soft Oklop case @Glafnazur linked though - none of these have got shoulder straps, so I reckon with the scope/mount & tripod to cart from the car, I'll pick up a large rucksack somewhere, then can drop the Oklop case inside, as well as the copious amount of gloves, hats, thermals (+cake/biscuits/tea) I'm going to need to attempt to keep blood pumping around my poor-circulation aging body!!

Another expensive day in Astonomy land.... still not seen anything, but thank god for the PayPal 'pay over 3 months' option - its taking an absolute hammering...

Does anyone happen to know why I can't create a post in the 'For Sale' forum at all?  Not sure if there's a new member quarantine period perhaps!

Secondly, I've got my Skywatcher Explorer 130 EQ2 which I need to move on - but not sure if it's even worth putting on here, or if this forum is well past that sort of level.  If not, any recommendations of where/how to find a home for it?  I'm not looking for a lot - as it's heavy and takes up a lot of space (pun not intended), so would just be nice to find a good home for it, and make room for all the extra kit I've been buying this week!  🫣

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skywatcher-explorer-130-eq2-telescope.html