• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

New member hello

JonW

Yes, you need to be vary of me, i'm good at assisting others in spending lots of £££ 🫣

I'm sure Doug and Bryan can vouch for that 😉

Seriously though, i believe you need a minimum of 50 posts before you can sell stuff on here, so you are nearly halfway there. ( i think SGL is probably the same)

UKABS is the main 'market place' for selling astro gear in the UK, and you only need to register and you're good to go.

Facebook market place is another option. I actually brought my Planet tripod on there at a bargain price.

HTH, Rob. ABS link below.

https://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/

12 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

Yes, you need to be vary of me, i'm good at assisting others in spending lots of £££ 🫣

I'm sure Doug and Bryan can vouch for that 😉

Seriously though, i believe you need a minimum of 50 posts before you can sell stuff on here, so you are nearly halfway there. ( i think SGL is probably the same)

UKABS is the main 'market place' for selling astro gear in the UK, and you only need to register and you're good to go.

Facebook market place is another option. I actually brought my Planet tripod on there at a bargain price.

HTH, Rob. ABS link below.

https://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/

Thanks Rob, that makes sense... need to avoid the bandits! 

Facebook is a dark place I do not like to go to -- I'll give ABS a go for the minute and see how that pans out.  Thanks for the link and advice. 🙂 

Hi Jon, a warm welcome to the group. Well it looks like you have hit the ground running. Enjoy your new scope and I hope it gives you some amazing views.

6 hours ago, BAZ said:

Hi Jon, a warm welcome to the group. Well it looks like you have hit the ground running. Enjoy your new scope and I hope it gives you some amazing views.

Thanks Martyn, good to meet you and thanks for the welcome! 🙂 

So today, I am mostly; unboxing the Dew Shield, & the Dew Heater ring, trying on my new astro-gloves (too snug, darn!), and awaiting the Oklop accessories bag arriving! 

Whilst we enjoy this wonderful storm weather, it reminded me to ask - what does everyone use for the most trustworthy weather/viewing predications?  Is there a decent app or website that's a 'go to'?

I've had one app on my phone for 2 years, that regardless of weather and sky conditions, has consistently proclaimed it 'unsuitable to stargaze' for 100% of the days it's been in situ! 😂

I use the met Office app, metcheck website, clear outside, windy and astropanel. They can all say something different, think metcheck has been the most accurate for me.

Sat24 is a must for on the night. Shows you where the clouds actually are and which way they are going. 

Edited by tuckstar

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/01/2024 at 21:06, tuckstar said:

I use the met Office app, metcheck website, clear outside, windy and astropanel. They can all say something different, think metcheck has been the most accurate for me.

Sat24 is a must for on the night. Shows you where the clouds actually are and which way they are going. 

Thanks Andy - sorry I missed this!  Very useful, and all bookmarked.  Haven't seemed to find a single decent evening where I've been home in weeks now!

• 1 month later...

Tonight looking clear!

i took delivery yesterday of a star pointer pro red dot finder, a dew heater ring, a 2x dew heater controller, and a StarSense autoalign camera - so today is all about getting them set up and tested and hopefully can see something from my back garden. 

We’re down to Cornwall next Saturday - and going to be on the boundary of Bortle 3 & 4, so I’m praying this kit all works and that we get some clear nights! I’ve booked a lodge with a fenced off balcony so optimistic i can get set up conveniently while I bodge my way through! 😂

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/03/2024 at 10:24, JonW said:

Tonight looking clear!

i took delivery yesterday of a star pointer pro red dot finder, a dew heater ring, a 2x dew heater controller, and a StarSense autoalign camera - so today is all about getting them set up and tested and hopefully can see something from my back garden. 

We’re down to Cornwall next Saturday - and going to be on the boundary of Bortle 3 & 4, so I’m praying this kit all works and that we get some clear nights! I’ve booked a lodge with a fenced off balcony so optimistic i can get set up conveniently while I bodge my way through! 😂

So, now on evening number 4 of rain and constant cloud cover 😢 And the forecast looks worse for the remaining 3 days. 

i’ve had my kit all set up by the patio doors ready to go since about an hour after I arrived. 

There was a 20 minute break in the cloud on Sunday night/Monday morning, and the sky view was spectacular. So I’m going to be absolutely gutted if I don't at least get one session in this week.