• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Stick with Mak127 or upgrade to 10" Dob?

Tangerinedream

Hi all,

For purely visual observation would I be better to stick with my Skywatcher Mak127 (stock eyes pieces only) and upgrade to Plossl eyepieces or change to a 10" dob setup or possibly 4" refractor?

I'm interested in observing both planetary and DSO's.

Currently don't have a mount for the Mak as I sold the Goto mount and would prefer a manual such as AZ5.

Budget is around £700. Thanks!

Having recently got my first Mak I would say go for the Dob if you're wanting an all rounder, the last scope I used for visual was an F5 Newtonian .The FOV will be much better and suck in a load more light. 

• Like 2

For those faint fuzzies a light bucket should surely always win and for those moments of excellent seeing that extra aperture should give better resolution of the moon and planets.

• Like 2

The  Dobs I have in mind are the Skywatcher 250px, Stellalyra 10" and Bresser messier 10".

I particularly like the look of the Bresser as it has the Teflon large altitude bearing and OTA clamp rings for balancing. However, the Stellalyra seems to come with the best accessories like RACI and Plossl eyepiece.

I asked the question to FLO customer service and they said they had experienced where the Bresser OTA came off the mount accidentally when moving the Azimuth base. Maybe the end stops weren't tightened down sufficiently? It's a shame to hear I think it is probably the best mount of the three.

I picked the Mak up 2nd hand from ENS optical, might be worth checking them out as they have some interesting stuff pass through. 

I have a 10" Dob which is excellent as Dobs go, and sucks in a lot of light, giving impressive performance on doubles, nebulae and fuzzies.

A problem which I am sensitive to (but others might not be) - it gives an inverted image whereas all my other optics are erect and right way round, like binoculars.  If you are not used to anything else, a Dob would be fine.

I was looking at getting a 12" Stellalyra Dob until I noticed its size and weight, so went for a 10".  Before selecting a Dob, make sure you can handle it and get it into the car!

• Like 1

I've been experiencing aperture fever recently I was considering a 12" dob but after seeing one in flesh tonight I will definitely not be getting one, far to cumbersome and heavy. I might look at a 10" dob and my choices would be between the Bresser and Stellalyra. There's also the Celestron StarSense Explorer 10" Dobsonian which looks pretty good. 

@bryand Which dob have you got, the Stellarlyra?

• Like 1

I'd go for a 4" refractor with good glass.

Jcs4Uwo.jpg

• Like 3

I visited Rother Valley Optics recently to have look at size comparisons. The 12" was a beast but the 10" looked more manageable. I'd have to store it in the shed though as the wife won't let me have it in the house 😅

5 hours ago, Nightspore said:

I'd go for a 4" refractor with good glass.

Jcs4Uwo.jpg

Is that an F7?  Nice looking refractor!  If I did go down that route I'd probably get an Altair ED like this or Skywatcher Evostar ED. As much a Takahashi APO would be nice, they're way out my budget.

9 minutes ago, Tangerinedream said:

Is that an F7?  Nice looking refractor!  If I did go down that route I'd probably get an Altair ED like this or Skywatcher Evostar ED. As much a Takahashi APO would be nice, they're way out my budget.

Yeah, it's f/7, 102mm. The flint is FPL-53. 

9ICu4ru.jpg

A 4" Tak' would be a bit more than the 900 quid I paid for the Altair OTA.

4 hours ago, Nightspore said:

Yeah, it's f/7, 102mm. The flint is FPL-53. 

9ICu4ru.jpg

A 4" Tak' would be a bit more than the 900 quid I paid for the Altair OTA.

Very nice setup you have there! There's just something very pleasing about a refractor. Does it resolve much detail on DSO's? 

1 hour ago, Tangerinedream said:

Very nice setup you have there! There's just something very pleasing about a refractor. Does it resolve much detail on DSO's? 

Thanks. Yes, it resolves better than any other scope I own. I was astounded how versatile a good refractor actually is. 4" is a threshold for me, as it's easy enough to pick up in one hand (I'm partially paralysed). A 5" refractor would be too much, let alone need a much bigger tripod/mount combo.

8AbYvM5.jpg

The only others close are my 80mm Evostar and Altair 60 EDF.

tfbXafU.jpg

My 72ED DS Pro is very close though.

5IpY6jH.jpg

These are smaller though.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nightspore said:

Thanks. Yes, it resolves better than any other scope I own. I was astounded how versatile a good refractor actually is. 4" is a threshold for me, as it's easy enough to pick up in one hand (I'm partially paralysed). A 5" refractor would be too much, let alone need a much bigger tripod/mount combo.

8AbYvM5.jpg

The only others close are my 80mm Evostar and Altair 60 EDF.

tfbXafU.jpg

My 72ED DS Pro is very close though.

5IpY6jH.jpg

These are smaller though.

I like the grab and go aspect of a 4" refractor.  Do you think an AZ5 would be suitable for the Altair 102ED?

I have a number of refractors and the views through the ZS61 and Esprit 100 triplet are brilliant but the views of DSOs through my 8" newt are definitely better. The extra light gathering power of the larger aperture makes the objects much brighter. The views of clusters, such as the double cluster and M13, are so much better, the double cluster looks like diamonds on black velvet - stunning. The trouble with the larger scope is that I find I don't use it as much as it is far easier to set up a smaller refractor, although I am contemplating a 10" dob at the moment. 

1 hour ago, Glafnazur said:

The trouble with the larger scope is that I find I don't use it as much as it is far easier to set up a smaller refractor, although I am contemplating a 10" dob at the moment. 

This is my worry if I decide on getting a dob... as they say the 'best scope is the one you use the most'.

Thankyou for the insight though, it definitely gives me something to ponder over.

BresserUK seller on eBay have a cracking deal on the 10" Bresser Messier-£476. Only downside is it is coming from Germany so if there is an issue with it returns might be more difficult than ordering from the likes of FLO or RVO.

Very tempting.

12 hours ago, Tangerinedream said:

I like the grab and go aspect of a 4" refractor.  Do you think an AZ5 would be suitable for the Altair 102ED?

As long as the tripod is sturdy enough.

• Thanks 1

On 20/01/2024 at 23:45, Glafnazur said:

I've been experiencing aperture fever recently I was considering a 12" dob but after seeing one in flesh tonight I will definitely not be getting one, far to cumbersome and heavy. I might look at a 10" dob and my choices would be between the Bresser and Stellalyra. There's also the Celestron StarSense Explorer 10" Dobsonian which looks pretty good. 

@bryand Which dob have you got, the Stellarlyra?

I have the 10" Celestron StarSense Explorer.  The Starsense mechanism works, but needs really dark skies (not twilight) to function. 

The rest of the scope is adequate but not brilliant - the 10" StellaLyra would be a better bet, I think (better bearings, finder etc).

58 minutes ago, bryand said:

I have the 10" Celestron StarSense Explorer.  The Starsense mechanism works, but needs really dark skies (not twilight) to function. 

The rest of the scope is adequate but not brilliant - the 10" StellaLyra would be a better bet, I think (better bearings, finder etc).

Thanks Bryan 👍

18 hours ago, Tangerinedream said:

BresserUK seller on eBay have a cracking deal on the 10" Bresser Messier-£476. Only downside is it is coming from Germany so if there is an issue with it returns might be more difficult than ordering from the likes of FLO or RVO.

Very tempting.

I was tempted but none left...................

Stellalyra / Stellarmira are big sellers for FLO Dave, with a high turnover,

so it won't be very long at all before they are back in stock, i'm sure.

1 hour ago, Bino-viewer said:

Stellalyra / Stellarmira are big sellers for FLO Dave, with a high turnover,

so it won't be very long at all before they are back in stock, i'm sure.

Didn't you have a big dob/newt Rob? Can you remind me what it was (I think it may have been an Orion Optices) and how you got on with it?

I think 10" Stellalyra will be my choice. Is it best to go for the Hotec laser collimator and concentre eyepiece for the secondary?