• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Stick with Mak127 or upgrade to 10" Dob?

Tangerinedream

On 21/01/2024 at 11:53, Tangerinedream said:

Is that an F7?  Nice looking refractor!  If I did go down that route I'd probably get an Altair ED like this or Skywatcher Evostar ED. As much a Takahashi APO would be nice, they're way out my budget.

Looks like a KUO one. Excellent fpl53 glass probably. Come under a ton of different badges. FLO sell them as Starfield. The best value for money 4 inch refractor on the market IMHO. A big step up from SW as far as build quality is concerned. 

Tangerine Dream. I saw them once in Manchester at end of the 70’s. They played the first part of the set behind a net in case anyone threw anything at them! Obviously had a bad experience in the past…

• Like 1

Me, I am a refractor buff. Common sense says buy a dob I guess, although it is years since I had one. 

• Like 1

On 03/02/2024 at 19:49, Caldwell 14 said:

Looks like a KUO one. Excellent fpl53 glass probably. Come under a ton of different badges. FLO sell them as Starfield. The best value for money 4 inch refractor on the market IMHO. A big step up from SW as far as build quality is concerned. 

Tangerine Dream. I saw them once in Manchester at end of the 70’s. They played the first part of the set behind a net in case anyone threw anything at them! Obviously had a bad experience in the past…

Wish I could have gone to a gig that had the original members from the 70's and early 80's. I have most of their early stuff on vinyl.

• Like 1

I saw them at Liverpool Anglican Cathedral in 1975, excellent acoustics.

• Like 2

I saw them in Derby in the early 80s, they were great. I like the earlier stuff best.

Rubycon was my first Tangerine Dream album. It was the cover that grabbed me. Every Saturday I'd go to the record shop and buy an album, and quite often if I hadn't got a particular album in mind I'd quite often just go by the cover. 

I used to play Rubycon and Phaedra whilst watching the great silent film Metropolis. Ah those were the days.

• Like 1

On 04/02/2024 at 23:51, Glafnazur said:

I used to play Rubycon and Phaedra whilst watching the great silent film Metropolis. Ah those were the days.

You can't beat a bit of German Expressionism. I've heard Metropolis described as a 1920's Blade Runner. It must have influenced Ridley Scott.