• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

My Dob Mods so Far...

catman161

Yep - you've got the feet mate but I was thinking more about the spirit level which needs to measure in three directions. To get horizontal all three sides of the triangle made by the feet need levelling. Maybe It's a tad picky but I didn't want you to have a d'ohhh moment first time out lol :)

I'm not sure I understand :blink:

All three feet adjust independantly of each other so that I can ensure the base is completely flat and level. Then I would level the OTA and zero the wixey. The small spirit level is not fixed to the position in the photo I would move it around the base to ensure that I was completely level before observing.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• catman161

• Doc

• Brantuk

• Daz Type-R

Yup - that's what I meant - I thought your spirit level was fixed in position Felix - that's why I mentioned it. But Daves leveller looks good - might even jump on the bandwagon and get one myself lol :)

Yup - that's what I meant - I thought your spirit level was fixed in position Felix - that's why I mentioned it. But Daves leveller looks good - might even jump on the bandwagon and get one myself lol :)

Mines already bought and paid for £2.29 and free potage and from a nottingham based seller = awesome! :D

Edited by catman161

Well I'll be copying your setting circle Felix, so you're welcome to my levelling set up! :)
It wasn't my idea dave-Full credit to Mick for this. Thanks again Mick, with my DIY history I definitely wouldn't have taken this on without your help & advice :) Edited by catman161

Errmmm..... it's an Azimuth setting circle on a dob - not an RA setting circle - just fyi :)

Spot the EQ mount user... :ph34r:

• 4 weeks later...

Felix, looking to get my setting circle sorted soon, quick question, how do you turn the setting circle if it is sandwiched between the ground board and the dob base?

Or have I missed something?

Do you not need a handle or something?

Edited by Daz Type-R

Yes you need a bracket connected to your dob sircle with a handle attached to that, also I'm going to make the handle a locking one so the circle doesn't turn.

Doing mine very soon so I'll take a few photo's.

Awesome thanks Mick, I was going to make my setting circle (at least the base) out of 3mm ply wood and then paint it black to match the black/white scheme of the Sky watcher, then stick the actual setting circle to it. Using ply wood, I was going to fashion a handle from the ply base itself, just noticed that Felix didn't appear to have one so wondered what he was going to do.

Looking forward to seeing yours complete.

I've just attached the handle to my dob circle and have decided to not lock it down, doesn't really need it, the weight of two 4mm perspex circles keeps them in place.

Hey Darren, I have two clear plastic rings. The setting circle is stuck to the bottom one, the second one is simply glued on top. The (now) single plastic ring is simply placed on the ground board and the 3 slide glides are placed in the centre of the ring 120 degrees apart. The setting circle just sits on the ground board and turns around the slide glides. As Mick said it does not need locking down really as once it's set in place it does not turn as it's own weight holds it in place. If ya have a look at the pics again, it's makes more sense!! Lol-I'm not great at explaining things!

• 3 months later...
Guest dardano

Hi Felix,

I'm new here and I saw that you put a Lazy Susan Bearing on your 8 inch dobsonian. I own the same kind of telescope and found your idea to install a Lazy Susan very nice.

However, I would like to know if you screwed both part of the dobsonian mount to the Lazy Susan or just the bottom part ?

How does it feel instead of OEM system ? Is it "too smooth" ?

Thanks !

Frederic from Quebec Canada.

Edited by dardano

Hi Frederic and welcome to EMS :)

Usually dob mods involving changes to the movement of the axes mean that you loose or gain a little "stiction" (depending on what the mod is). So you'd normally have to compensate for that to get it just at the right level for your expected use.

You may end up changing the alt runners to some sort of teflon, or adding teflon pads under the az part of the base. You may also alter the tension on the axes to get a smooth but sticky action. It's all up to how you personally want to tune it.

There's a popular technique using milk carton washers in one of the threads in this section. :)

If you can't find it here there is a good explanation with pics on this website:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/118946-just-finished-modding-my-dob-base/#entry1531393

Yes I find that too Frederic - my 300P needs a good sorting out in both axes (and gunk Chinese grease replacing) which make the motors grind now.

Guest dardano

Not sure - I've not done the lazy susan mod to mine yet - but it's begging for it :)

As far I saw on the web only the bottom part seems to be fixed to the LS. The upper part is maintained in place by the center hex bold.

Fred

Fred, I wrote the guide that Kim is talking about.

I screwed the lazy Susan bearing to the ground board (the bottom board) and then just placed the top board on top (not screwed down) as the weight of the top board and OTA and the fact it is being compressed slightly by the centre bolt means it does not move. If that is still a concern, you could always glue a bit of rubber to the lazy Susan, that will also prevent it slipping.

I have done mine over a year now and never had any issues.