• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

My Dob Mods so Far...

catman161

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• catman161

• Doc

• Brantuk

• Daz Type-R

Hi Fred, I followed Darren's guide but chose to secure both parts of the lazy Susan to the ground board and the top board. I do this by first screwing the bottom of the bearing to the ground board an ten turning it over and drilling an access hole and then placing the top board onto the lazy Susan then screwing it in place via the access hole :)

I no longer have my 200P on a Dob base I have it mounted on an NEQ6 Pro but the lazy Susan made things so much easier and to adjust the "Sticktion" I used the milk bottle washer method as in Darren's guide.

Welcome to the forum :)

Guest dardano

Hi Fred, I followed Darren's guide but chose to secure both parts of the lazy Susan to the ground board and the top board. I do this by first screwing the bottom of the bearing to the ground board an ten turning it over and drilling an access hole and then placing the top board onto the lazy Susan then screwing it in place via the access hole :) I no longer have my 200P on a Dob base I have it mounted on an NEQ6 Pro but the lazy Susan made things so much easier and to adjust the "Sticktion" I used the milk bottle washer method as in Darren's guide. Welcome to the forum :)

Thanks for the info !

About mounting you 200P on a NEQ6, isn't it too high for viewing ? I may in the future follow the same path and buy a NEQ6 for astro-imaging. But for now I'm only on visual observations.

And thanks everyone for the welcomes ! :)

Fred

Hi Fred, I followed Darren's guide but chose to secure both parts of the lazy Susan to the ground board and the top board. I do this by first screwing the bottom of the bearing to the ground board an ten turning it over and drilling an access hole and then placing the top board onto the lazy Susan then screwing it in place via the access hole :) I no longer have my 200P on a Dob base I have it mounted on an NEQ6 Pro but the lazy Susan made things so much easier and to adjust the "Sticktion" I used the milk bottle washer method as in Darren's guide. Welcome to the forum :)

Thanks for the info !

About mounting you 200P on a NEQ6, isn't it too high for viewing ? I may in the future follow the same path and buy a NEQ6 for astro-imaging. But for now I'm only on visual observations.

And thanks everyone for the welcomes ! :)

Fred

It can be a little high but nothing a small step and an extra tube ring (so I can rotate the OTA) doesn't cure :)

Guest dardano

Hi Kim.

That's my guide.

Link also in my signature below.

:)

Excellent guide Daz.

I will need to put a setting circle so I will not be able to put the slide glides near the border. They will need to be put near the LS.

I will give a try and see how it works.

Fred

Excellent guide Daz.

I will need to put a setting circle so I will not be able to put the slide glides near the border. They will need to be put near the LS.

Fred

I'm fitting a setting circle too over the next few weeks (waiting for it to get printed) , I now have to move my slide glides closer to the lazy Susan bearing, just as you describe. Another thing you will have to do is to counter sink the screws that hold the OTA arms on, as the slide guides will fowl the screws if left as they are, meaning you can not turn the base.

Excellent guide Daz.

Fred

Hi Fred,

You may encounter "wobble" if you don't have the glides towards the outside of the groundboard.

Guest dardano

First try (without slide glides) and just by tightening the center bolt I can't that smooth rolling but not too loose.

I will work with this a few time and see if I need the glides.

I took some pictures of my setup today and I will post them later.

Fred