• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hi all

Guest paul j

Hi all, im paul and im from scunthorpe, im fairly new to astronomy only had a set up around a year now,i sort of started my hobbie backwards and went straight into astrophotography,its a struggle but im slowly getting there,i hoping this sites members can help in times of need with my 101 questions :-) ive built a small astro shed to house my celestron c8 in, its guided by a altair 10x60 scope with a qhy5 camera and my eq5 goto mount,i have two desktops pcs in there one controlling starry night pro and the guiding and my other purely to focus on the imaging.my astro shed is nothing special but it does the job its got part roll of roof and other half flip, after crimbo im building a extenstion on the end and use that as a warm room for my pcs and extra comfort,it sure gets chilly.

Hi Paul and a warm welcome to EMS :)

Glad to have you with us and it looks like a very nice setup you have there - my other half flips as well - usually when I'm spending money on astro gear lol.

Feel free to ask any questions you like - we have a wide spread of experience amongst our members including several pretty hot imagers who'll be only to pleased to help.

Hope you enjoy our forum :)

lol, i know the feeling about the other half flipping,i tend to send my parcels now to parents or friends, the little ones come to me :-) i remember going to buy the c8 at rother valley and the mrs decided to come for a ride lol.i was trying to get the man behind the counter to understand about the price, i said how much 145 yeah ok i have it thanks, he said yeah i go get you one, i actually walked out the shop got away with it until wife found the reciept :-/ it was the focal reducer that she couldnt believe the price of.as with all astro gear its expensive

thanks

Hi Paul, welcome to EMS.

Hehe another one hiding his toys. Never mind, you nearly got away with a C8, good try. :)

It looks like your'e already a good way into this obsession, and Iam only visual, so not much use to you.

In the meantime enjoy the forum.

hi paul

welcome to EMS from fellow Darksider, onyl just started myself and the learning curve is very steep. Lots of help and assistance here

Welcome to the asylum

Sheila

Hi Paul and welcome aboard the train to loony town :) You don't have to be crazy to be here, but it helps.

You certainly have some nice kit there. I'm also new to imaging, as Sheila says, plenty of help available here. Look forward to seeing some of your images soon :)

hi Sheila lets hope we can produce some nice images soon.I managed get one of the dumbell nebula.I post it later.

look forward to seeing it :)

Sheila

Hi Paul, welcome to EMS. Your set up looks very impressive, we would love a flipping shed too, well a garden would be a good start lol. I hope you get sorted with the photography bit, I'm just visual too. :)

hi Caroline many thanks.I love this hobbie although it can get frustrating.I use to be into motorbikes but I'm been v unlucky past 3yrs with bad accidents thought why tempt fate.astronomy is perfect nice and chilling and can even escape from the Mrs ;-)