• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Not another newbie :-)

Guest acezak

I'm on a very slow phone so links are tricky, but if you google astroboot it should show up.

It's part of scopes and skies website, astroboot is like their rummage sale section, you never know whats going to be in there. But there was another mount when I last looked, good luck. :-)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• catman161

• Cazz

• Craig

• Tweedledee

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm on a very slow phone so links are tricky, but if you google astroboot it should show up.

It's part of scopes and skies website, astroboot is like their rummage sale section, you never know whats going to be in there. But there was another mount when I last looked, good luck. :-)

thanks buddy,,, the site is down just now so will keep checking.... need some filters too

Hi Nick and a warm welcome to EMS. :)

The 130 is a very nice starter scope that will show you a lot of stuff - mostly the brighter objects due to the limited aperture size - but nontheless will keep you going a good many months. The tracking motors are usually pretty good on those mounts - but you do have to be polar aligned to use it. Start a question thread in the beginners section if you're not familiar with PA and someone will be along with an answer soon.

Sounds like you were looking at Jupiter - congrats if that's your first object. Download Stellarium (free planetaria) it will show you everything in the sky at your location in real time. Enjoy the forum :)

Hi Nick, a warm welcome to EMS.

By the time you have got setting this scope up, you will have mastered Polar alignment, and that's half way there for setting up a goto as well, so good experience.

In the meantime, enjoy your new scope and the forum.

Hi nick what regt was you ? Or are ?

Pat

Ex Para Pat,,,, many years ago,,,, I enjoyed the time so now I belong to a Professional Air team,,, you sad thing this the kit I have now is better than I was issued back in the day,,,, feel sorry for our boys out there.....

If you chuck yourself out of perfectly good aircraft, you need to have a chat with Felix, aka Catman. He sky dives, and I think he's recently bought a wing suit.

Think of the scope he could have got for that money!

If you chuck yourself out of perfectly good aircraft, you need to have a chat with Felix, aka Catman. He sky dives, and I think he's recently bought a wing suit.

Ha ha close Martyn but no cigar. It's a Freefly suit. My goal is to wingsuit, out of perfectly good aircraft-none of this BASE jumping wingsuit flying that seems so popular at the moment. I like altitude and plenty of it. Gives me time to sort any errors that could possibly occur :)

i'd love to do a skydive but you can't unless to you some tandom jumps first and that isn't my thing at all lol.... the trouble is you only know if an air craft is any good if it lands ok so might as well jump plus its more fun lol

i'd love to do a skydive but you can't unless to you some tandom jumps first and that isn't my thing at all lol.... the trouble is you only know if an air craft is any good if it lands ok so might as well jump plus its more fun lol

Not quite right. It's costs £230 to do a tandem at my club but only £380 for a level one AFF jump. So you jump out with your own parachute on and an AFF instructor holding an arm and a leg each when its time to throw your chute thy let go of you and you fly the chute in yourself :) may aswell pay the extra if you want to fly the canopy in yourself :)

I done a sky dive for my 40th birthday and it was the best thing I've done, awesome experience and one I'll never forget.

I thoroughly agree Mick :) Best thing I have ever done. So I kept doing it :D I have done it 143 times now and plan on many more.

I do think it's something everybody should do at least once in their life.

I had it recorded as well and put onto a disc.

I think recording it is a must! I never understand the people that turn up at my club and don't have it videoed?!

Here's a video of one of my more fun jumps recently. I am the guy in the blue jumpsuit and blue rig. Watch with sound up and hear what my friend says after the first guy jumps out at 5,000ft!

http://youtu.be/l3e08oe04vs

Edited by catman161

Amazing Felix - can't believe I've just watched you plummeting towards certain death with only a bed sheet on strings to save you - very exciting but totally nuts lol :)

(maybe if I was younger haha!)