• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Optics Cleaning

Sheila

OK, the focuser on my Tak has been on and off soooo many times thatn the lens now

has dust, few dogs hairs etc and on finger mark :)

Whats the best way to clean this when i finaly get the right bits and fasten up again.

I have the alcohol wipes you can use on glasses, or those cleaning cloths for the same

purpose but am reluctant to use. I usually get things wrong. LOL

I also have those blow/puffer things for camera lenses and the fluid for that too.

Sheila

Puff/blower is good cos it doesn't touch the glass. I would imagine the spectacles fluid works but I prefer to use Baader Wonder Fluid which is made for scope optics. About a tenner from FLO iirc. Keep your eye on the dogs and don't let them take the focuser off again lol :)

Guest Tweedledum

Hi Sheila,

Best way to ruin the coatings is to use C2H5OH!!.

As you have some superb optics, invest in a bottle of Baader wonderfluid and cloth, about £14 from rvo. And don't clean until you have to!!. I had a dog hair on the inside of the corrector plate on my LX200, still there now unless someone else has cleaned it!!.

Cheers

DONT TOUCH IT!!!!!!

Air blower at best (not compressed air)

:)

yes but does not get rid of finger mark does it???

Guest Kheldar

yes but does not get rid of finger mark does it???

Which will be invisible in your images :)

Any other scope, I'd be tempted to suggest Baader Wonder Fluid and a new microfibre cloth ...

The Tak, sorry no. Leave it, it's not going to be a problem at all.

Blow the dust off, then if there are any persistant grease / muck marks, determine how big they are and if you can live with them. If you cant, use the wonder fluid as Stephen suggests but just be careful dont scrub it, use soft microfibre cloth very carefully.

Dont be scared of it though

Im not quite sure why there is so much fear about cleaning objectives, modern coatings are far superior to the early coatings from the 60s, I suppose thats where the fear came about.

I have cleaned lots of different objectives of different vintages and qualities,( including an early Takahashi which had black mould in between the elements),so long as you are sensible then there is no need to be scared just follow the instructions with the wonder fluid.

I've also cleaned many optics and as Phil says, I don't know what all the fuss is about, just be as careful as you can and don't rub hard.

Baader wonderfluid is best and for the money is worth every penny.

thanks you lot, ordered some wonder fluid and will make decision when I examine

after blowwing all the crap out

Sheila

The inside obj lens of my Meg 72 is very dusty, how can I clean that without taking it to bits please?

Guest Kheldar
The inside obj lens of my Meg 72 is very dusty, how can I clean that without taking it to bits please?

You take it to pieces :) The objective unscrews if I recall correctly

You can allways get a small child to put his hands up the focuser tube like the Germans did manufactring shells in the war.

Don't mention the war - I did once but I think I got away with it lol :)

Don't use spec wipes, they do remove coatings. I know..... :angry:

Tried to get some greasy marks off a second hand eyepiece, which it did, and some of the coating. It doesn't affect it visually, but is apparent.

Oh that's worth knowing Martyn (about scpecs wipes) - I presume the same applies to specs fluid too - great advice. :)

You can allways get a small child to put his hands up the focuser tube like the Germans did manufactring shells in the war.

Don't mention the war - I did once but I think I got away with it lol :)

Ha ha ha that's the one if my favourite episodes! That and the Greek chef that gets drunk and tries to kiss Manuel!

Considering the quality of the scope, I would get it professionally cleaned or serviced. It's gotta be a worthwhile investment considering the value of it.

Mmmm yes we sent the Meades to be professionally serviced and cleaned, 1st job when they came back was to clean the the corrector plates and secondary mirrors of fingerprints and adjust the backlash and collimate them

they never got paid

and it is very difficult to get a telescope insured through the mail system

Steve

Edited by Ibbo

Hi Sheila,

Best way to ruin the coatings is to use C2H5OH!!.

As you have some superb optics, invest in a bottle of Baader wonderfluid and cloth, about £14 from rvo. And don't clean until you have to!!. I had a dog hair on the inside of the corrector plate on my LX200, still there now unless someone else has cleaned it!!.

Cheers

confused now, have reveived the cloth and wonder fluid from FLO, guess what the wonder fluid is you guessed it Alcohol(C2H5OH)

not sure it's ethanol but def alcohol???

Sheila

Guest Tweedledum

Hi Sheila,

Its probably in a buffered solution at the correct strength. The other solvent commonly used is isopropyl alcohol, at the right dilution. PDF guide here for the wonderfluid... http://www.firstligh...Wonder-engl.pdf

If you are troubled try it on a spare of specs if you have em!...

Cheers

ps,

Just checked the eu datasheet for the wonderfluid 25% ethanol in a 35% solution of propan -1 ol (the one simply designates the position of the OH on the molcule in this case its the first carbon atom. Though strictly this is an isomer of isopropyl alcohol)

Edited by Tweedledum

Hi Sheila,

Its probably in a buffered solution at the correct strength. The other solvent commonly used is isopropyl alcohol, at the right dilution. PDF guide here for the wonderfluid... http://www.firstligh...Wonder-engl.pdf

If you are troubled try it on a spare of specs if you have em!...

Cheers

ps,

Just checked the eu datasheet for the wonderfluid 25% ethanol in a 35% solution of propan -1 ol (the one simply designates the position of the OH on the molcule in this case its the first carbon atom. Though strictly this is an isomer of isopropyl alcohol)

nope not really don't think they would sell it if was not right \lol