• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Sir Patrick Moore RIP

Guest wisewoman

Guest wisewoman

Sad news that Sir Patrick Moore has passed away.

I wrote to him when I was 11 and he sent me encouraging letters back, which I still have.  I feel he really was responsive for sparking young minds and popularising Asteonomy as a hobby.

He will be missed.

Melissa

Edited by wisewoman

This a sad day for astronomy though his wonderful lifetime contribution must be fully celebrated. All on my birthday too. Sigh - RIP Sir P.

Terrible news. Was watching sky at night on Friday and he said net time he will be going through setting up scopes for beginners :( Such a shame-great man. RIP

Guest BigTfromNotts

R.I.P. Sir Patrick.  Now you are part of the heavens that you so enthusiastically observed for the majority of your life.

Farewell Sir Patrick, there has seldom been a more inspirational man. He didn't just want to tell you about the subject, he wanted you to go out and discover it for yourself.

Really sad news.

I was watching the recording of the latest S@N this morning and wondered how long he would be with us.

A sad loss indeed. As many have said already, he is the reason I have a telescope.

RIP Sir Patrick.

Must admit the last couple of years he has been looking frail.

Hope the National trust get his house.

Hope the National trust get his house.

Agree. It should be preserved as a tribute to the man.

A great Man never to be replaced, I have lucky to have known him for just over 20 years

Stephen

A sad day and a great loss to the Astronomy comunity, he will be greatly missed by all.

Same as you Rusty, I watched the last episode yesterday and remember thinking just that, a sad day indeed. This man inspired generations of folk, including me, into practical astronomy, I dont think anyone can repkace him. He will be sorely missed indeed

A sad loss indeed. He inspired both amateurs and professionals alike. His legacy will live on, like Carl Sagan and many others. Nice also to know that he had an asteroid named after him in his lifetime.

I just finished watching the S@N on sky plus, then just come onto the site to see this sad news.Hopefully the BBC will pay tribute to his life soon on our screens.

RIP Sir Patrick.