• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Interweb Speeds

Perkil8r

Just wondering what sort of speeds folks are getting from their interweb.

I'm on Virgin, I have no idea what speeds I should be getting as I haven't seen a quote from them for ages, here's my results anyway:

>http://www.speedtest.net'>2382804395.png

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brantuk

• Perkil8r

• Craig

• red dwalf

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Tweedledum

Hi Mike,

I believe that VM's slowest speed is now adv at up to 30mb.. The key words are up to!!.The speed you get is dpendent on lots of parameters and the contention ratio, basically the number or folk on your lan segment logged in and using the network at any one time. I bet if you ran the speedcheck at 2am you would get 30mb.

You are still getting a great download speed!

Cheers

this is what i`m getting

2382862625.png

i`m still on 20mb broadband although they are doubling the speed for free next year

Edited by Doc

How would I go about finding out what they say I should be "upto"? Not that it makes much difference but would be interesting to know.

I think I should be on 20mb as far as I can see.

I used to be on 20mb virginmedia but they increased it to 30mb for free.

As Damian says I don't think they do 20mb anymore.

12/19/2012 7:14 PM GMT   17.44 Mb/s 1.09 Mb/s 5 ms Coventry < 50 mi Image

•  

12/19/2012 7:10 PM GMT   13.59 Mb/s 1.13 Mb/s 15 ms Studley ~ 50 mi Image

•  

That's what I got tonight - no idea how to save the posh graphics you lot got lol :)

What I can say is that I get higher speeds of money disappearing from my account with Virgin Media lol.

Pah! thats nothing, how about this for pidgeon post speed-

We regularly get offers of 12-30mb speeds out here in the sticks by various providers and all we do is say "go on then give us the speed, they do a check then backtrack.

We are 12 miles from the exchange with ali cable, honestly wet string would give us more speed.

Oh and this is a good day, when it rains the cable ducts flood and we get cut off :D  In 2010 it took 10 BT Engineers 5 months and 2 cables to come to that conclusion and we were cut off all the while. We had 2 engineers tell us that we couldnt get broadband because we were too far from the exchange, our reply " Have you moved the exchange overnight  then, cos yesterday we had 1 meg"

BT Open Reach, dontcha just luv em :angry:

:lol:

The thing is, I would trade the technology to live in the country... in a heart beat.

It has alot of advantages but also alot of disadvantages, post takes a day longer than anywhere else as well, even tho theres a flippin depot 7 miles away from us, forget driving in the ice they dont grit and as for the.................................................... :D

Not too bad a result for me, considering I am on a bog standard copper wire connection with BT....

2383150150.png

Edited by Daz Type-R

This is bugging me.

Can someone please explain how you copy that image into a post?

I can only copy the url.