• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Dardano's dobson mount modified

Guest dardano

Guest dardano

Hi guys,

I've made few modifications to my dobson base this weekend.

1. 2 rubber door stop to protect the tube from hitting the wood base.
  2. Lazy Susan bearing
  3. Setting circle (azimuthal) 19" diameter and fully plastified
  4. 2¼" viewing hole to see where I'm pointing.
  5. 360° level.

Here are some shots and the link to the full album.

DSCN2027_zpsa802e6a2.jpg

DSCN2028_zps3f840103.jpg

DSCN2013_zpsb9bfa44f.jpg

DSCN2014_zps2540ef3f.jpg

DSCN2035_zps2572ff1d.jpg

DSCN2025_zps20ac13a1.jpg

For the needle, I bought a cheap plastic clock for 5 $ and took the clock needles

Here the link if you want to view more : http://s327.beta.photobucket.com/user/dardano12/library/SkyWatcher%20Dobson%208/Dobson%20Base%20Mod

For now I didn't put slide glides and just adjust the tightening of the center bold to make the rotation less "free roller".

Fred

Very nice, had a look through the whole album, that's a lot of mods you've done in one weekend, looks brilliant :)

Edited by Eddy

Very professional looking job there Fred-well done. Do you have adjustable feet on the Dob too so that you can level the base?

That is very good. I like the pointer, it is really suits the scale. You have been busy, but that will really pay off when you get it out under a clear sky. 

Top job Fred, thanks for sharing.  :)

Guest dardano

Very professional looking job there Fred-well done. Do you have adjustable feet on the Dob too so that you can level the base?

Hi there ! thanks !

About the feet, I will try to find something that look like these :http://www.opticsmart.com/leveling-feet-for-dobsonian-telescopes-canada.html

If not, I will buy online. They are a bit pricey but they look really cool !

I may also build a 6-8 inches stand to rise the dobson to cause less bending when observing. And those adjustable feets.

If you have any other ideas, tell me :)

Fred

I have mine stood on a small 2 foot high (ish) plain white coffee table from IKEA, (do you get IKEA up there???)

At zenith the ep is just at my eye height, every other angle is just a slight bend of the back, nothing that I notice causes me any grief.

Guest dardano

I have mine stood on a small 2 foot high (ish) plain white coffee table from IKEA, (do you get IKEA up there???)

At zenith the ep is just at my eye height, every other angle is just a slight bend of the back, nothing that I notice causes me any grief.

Yes I get IKEA in Montreal City (3hours drive from quebec) I'll have a look on the IKEA website. Thanks for the tip

Edited by dardano

That is what I use on mine. (or something very similar)

Remember to calibrate it accurately otherwise you will be out, I use a good old trusty spirit level with magnetic base to calibrate the Wixey (what they are called over here) at the start of the session.

Those leveling feet are a bit pricey, $72 for three bit's of bent metal and some posh bolts!  :o

Over here, we can get some plastic leveling feet for sheds, which are around $8 each.

I don't know if this will work, but have a look and see if it gives you any idea's.

http://www.diy.com/nav/garden/garden-buildings/sheds-garden-storage-workshops/wooden_sheds/Shedmate-Black-Adjustable-Shed-Base-System-75633-11027510

Guest dardano

Smashing mods Frederic - really looks the business :)

Thanks Kim !

Those leveling feet are a bit pricey, $72 for three bit's of bent metal and some posh bolts!  :o

Over here, we can get some plastic leveling feet for sheds, which are around $8 each.

I don't know if this will work, but have a look and see if it gives you any idea's.

http://www.diy.com/nav/garden/garden-buildings/sheds-garden-storage-workshops/wooden_sheds/Shedmate-Black-Adjustable-Shed-Base-System-75633-11027510

Those look nice and cheaper. I may give them a try.

Thanks

Fred

Guest dardano

But those are 19cm wide,..

They are, and they aren't good to look at, but they aren't $72 either.  :)

Maybe you could find something that could be made to fit, maybe from a caravan place, truck store and so on.

Guest dardano

I agree with you BAZ, I will have a look this week at some local Hardware Store and see what I can do. But I don't wanna pay 72$ for those brackets.

Guest dardano

These LED's are awesome, they open so many possibilities.

Sky is the limit :D

They do look good, I feel I need some just to have "Just in case".

Please order them, they aren't expensives and plus, they're waterproof.

It cost me $12.97 (shipping included) for 2 LEDs. Order them yesterday and just got the mail with the shipping info and tracking number.

Fred