• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

samsung galaxy ace S3 and ems

cosmic dave

I'm still looking at phones to upgrade to from this old blackberry. My question is does anyone have a samsung galaxy s3 and if so do they use it on EMS? Does the site work on the phone ok? (Im talking about the full site not the mobile site) and does the shoutbox work?

I use the site on my Galaxy s2 and it is the full site with shoutbox and everything. So S3 should do the same?

Ok Mark thanks, think its a trip to the 3 store in Lincoln next week. I'm due a treat :)

The Galaxy S3 is a great phone, my wife`s brother has got one. A bigger than the S2 though, The screen is massive. He got his from 3 and got great deal with unlimited internet.

I think it has more to do with your provider. We used to have T Mobile and I couldn't get EMS to work very well at all, now I have Vodafone it works a charm.

I would of thought the full version (including shout box) was a web page just like any other, so should load as a web page regardless of what "phone" you used.

Granted Apple in their infinite wisdom don't play ball with Adobe (flash), so for me, certain things don't show (moon phase for example) but other than that, the full version is simply a web page, so should work on anything!

I would of thought the full version (including shout box) was a web page just like any other, so should load as a web page regardless of what "phone" you used.

Granted Apple in their infinite wisdom don't play ball with Adobe (flash), so for me, certain things don't show (moon phase for example) but other than that, the full version is simply a web page, so should work on anything!

I should have mentioned, when i use the forum on my phone it is on the internet.

Guest devil74

I use the Galaxy Note 2 which is very similar in specs i believe, just bigger...absolutely no problem at all, works a treat.

I can't view loads of sites with the blackberry, just get a message saying page to large to load then crashing :(

The hardware of the S3 will render this forum perfectly. You will have no issues at all. :)

Guest Steve

I use the Galaxy Note 2 which is very similar in specs i believe, just bigger...absolutely no problem at all, works a treat.

Ooh Damien - I am drooling over a Note 2 at the moment - is it as good as it looks?

I can't view loads of sites with the blackberry, just get a message saying page to large to load then crashing :(

That's RIM for you, wouldn't touch them with a barge pole!

just placed my order for the samsung galaxy s3 in white, comes tomorrow. any good astro apps ? tips would be great...

Sky Safari is on offer presently.

Sky Map is handy and free.

Satellite AR (free)

Astropanel (free)

I use the site on my Galaxy s2 and it is the full site with shoutbox and everything. So S3 should do the same?

And do you like the S2? I'm thinking of getting it, so the more opinions and views are helpful. I want/ed to buy it outright and get a 30day rolling £12/mon sim only deal from Virgin so as not tied in for 18 month or 2 years. The S3 looks bigger (too big) than the S2 to hold in the hand for me.

Sky Safari is on offer presently.

Sky Map is handy and free.

Satellite AR (free)

Astropanel (free)

where do you get these apps from, what web site?

And do you like the S2? I'm thinking of getting it, so the more opinions and views are helpful. I want/ed to buy it outright and get a 30day rolling £12/mon sim only deal from Virgin so as not tied in for 18 month or 2 years. The S3 looks bigger (too big) than the S2 to hold in the hand for me.

I wanted a bigger hand set, Im sick of trying to read posts on a little screen but didn't want to go as big as a galaxy note, they seem a little too big to be carried in your pocket..

When you get a phone on android, as the s2 and 3 are, you will have to set up a Google account (Google own android) this will then give you access to the play store where all the apps are.

S3 isn't to big to hold and the screen is a lot better its self and has much better processors and ram so copes with apps better and smoother.

The screen size is a bonus when using star charts.

I put a list of the apps I use for astronomy on here somewhere.

Guest devil74

Steve the Note 2 is excellent...no problems running 'big' apps like Mobile Observatory or Stellaruim. Would like to try Sky Safari after I seen it on Daz's iphone. 

@Tuckstar - can you post that list of apps up you use again?

I've got a s3 mini, I can drive that one handed with my little ish hands, and it's not to big in my pocket either.

I'm very pleased with it, and would recommend. :-)

Steve the Note 2 is excellent...no problems running 'big' apps like Mobile Observatory or Stellaruim. Would like to try Sky Safari after I seen it on Daz's iphone.

@Tuckstar - can you post that list of apps up you use again?

Pleasure mate,

http://www.eastmidlandsstargazers.org.uk/topic/4678-android-as-an-astro-tool/

Shipley park meeting of IDAS tonight if you fancy coming along later Damian.

Edited by tuckstar

That's a shame mate, well not that you've got the kids obviously, but you know what I mean!!

Catch you soon.