• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

New boy here!

Guest Adz_88

Guest Adz_88

Hello and good evening to all. I have just signed up just wanted to say hello, I am in the Hinckley area and was wondering if there is any one close to me who wants to chat and advise a beginner

Hope to hear from u all

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dawson

• Al.Grant

• BAZ

• RonC

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Adam, welcome to EMS, I'm sure there are folk local to you!  :)

Guest devil74

Yes as far as I know Adam. It should be good...it will be my first one this year but I think there will be quite a few newcomers. You would of course be made most welcome as you would to any of our meets.

Just so you know, the first visit to one of our dark sky sites is free (just bring a mug and £1 for tea/coffee) and if you decide to join as a full member then its only £20 a year for access to both dark sites...one in Belper and one in Wymeswold. Its well worth Adam...best 20 quid I ever spent.

Hope this helps a little.

hi and welcome :)

Have a look on the members map (top right on the webpage), there may be people near you. I think you need to have made 5 or 10 postings before you can use the private message function.

There is a website called astrobuysell sell ad there are sometimes items for sale on there from hinckley and nuneaton so there must be some astro-geeks there and not just you. In fact one of our regulars lives near atherstone (my home town).

There is a meeting in belper in early july (someone can tell you the exact date). We also have a dark site we use near loughborough which will be bearer you; come up next time we are there, you will be more than welcome to look through peoples scopes and watch them how they set it up and use it, and you can make your own comparisons to help you decide what sort of kit you want to aspire to getting.

I keep thinking we should have a social event sometime where we just take over a pub and a catch up while the summer days just make observing too difficult if you've got a normal job.

Leicester has an active astronomical society, as does nottingham, and probably coventry and other cities around you. Pluck up the courage to contact them, find out when their meetings are and go along. We've probably got members on here who will be also members of any other local society there is, and they would probably be happy to meet you there and show you the ropes.

Post any questions you've got in he beginners area, or other appropriate area and you'll get lots of replies.

A warm welcome and i hope you enjoy the hobby as much as the rest of us.

James

Hi Adam and welcome to EMS :)

If you fancy a get together sometime you'd be welcome to drop round my place for a chat, or if it's clear, a bit of observing. I'd be happy to help with any questions or setting up equipment etc. We also have regular observing sessions at our dark sites (as above) and your first visit is free to see if you like the site and enjoy the company - group observing is a load of fun.

Meantime enjoy the forum and feel free to ask questions and/or contribute to conversations. Send me a pm when you're free and well arrange meeting up. :)

And i you ever get to an observing session, you'll know which one damian is; he's the one with a white BBQ on hinges, and a retina burning red triangle which illuminates half the county ;)

Guest Adz_88

Did someone say there was a meet n July it sound perfect scopes sky's other enthusiasts and BBQ I fancy some of that action what was the date

New boys (and girls) have to wear their underwear on the outside of the clothes so we know who they are :)

Jd

You are going to fit in so well! Don't forget to bring some bangers to put on damo's-astro-barbie :)

Hi welcome aboard, nice to see everyone's made you welcome, and even managed to squezze a few insults in.

i am joking about the bbq in case you do turn up with uncooked meat! I think all dobsonian telescopes look like barbies; in fact i got a second hand one i bought in a moment of madness and which i've not yet used (ever) and if i never use it i'm just going to fill it with charcoal and invite you all round ;)

Welcome to EMS Adam. I live in leicester which isn't too far away. Kim (BrantUK) is a fountain of knowledge and has helped me no end with my astro pursuits. If you wanted w could all meet up and have a chat? Is good to get an experienced (BrantUK) an an amateur (me) opinion when starting out. Hope you enjoy the forum :)