• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Nick's Pier Build

Geezanova

The wife says with less than 10 posts to my name on the forum, I must do more so here goes:

A project long time in the making I've decided to build a garden pier. Over the next few nights I will be posting pictures of the build and a brief description of the tasks in hand so by the end of it I should of at least doubled my post count. :D

The first task was to decide where to position my pier, after careful thought a position was decided taking into concideration 240v power and USB data that will be routed to my warm room (the conservatory)

Then over the next couple of nights I started the big dig, 1m x 1m x 1m with a little help from my youngest, Freya.

Edited by Geezanova

Hello Nick, and i look forward the seeing the images, they've not displayed on my phone but that might be my issue, not yours.

James

Hi James, yes there's a problem from my end, your phone's ok :)

Guest Eddy

Looking forward to seeing some pics once you get them fixed, maybe drop Craig a PM if your struggling :)

Edit: Wow that's a big hole, gonna take a lot of concrete to fill that :lol: and I see your daughter is in appropriate footwear for digging :D:lol:

Edited by Eddy

A cubic metre of concrete for a pier? Crikey, my hole in the ground that size holds a 60' wind up/tilt over antenna tower.

That pier is going nowhere  ;)

Regards.

Blimey!!!!!!! That's a foundation and a half. I hadn't realised you'd purchased that £48,000 refractor at the astronomy show :)

I'm not sure i could even dig a pit that deep in my garden as the house seems to be built on top of an indistrial dumping ground, i dread to think what i'd find.

Really cracking start, i am looking forward to seeing the progress. I'd offer to help but my back is giggered this weekend.

James

Is that some roman pottery you found in the bottom? You'll have to call Time Team

Yeah the ground in my garden is very soft which is why I went for a metre cube. Had taken delivery of two tonne of ballast and ten bags of cement for the whole project.

My next step was to set out for the pier itself and construct a stable platform to mount the pier at a suitable height.

Looking good :) I'm still in the planning stages myself but one thing I already know is the ground is full of boulders :( looks like the builder just crushed the debris and turfed it over :(

Nick that looks like a real professional job, well done. You'll have caught the sun even if the pier is wonky at the end of it all :)

James

P.S. Teslar, my garden is the same.

looking great Nick,

keep the pictures coming, glad you got the posting problem sorted

Guest peepshow

That's a great hole you have there. 

I too dug a hole once for a Seismometer and filled it with concrete.

About half the size of yours.

I do still wonder if it would ever effect our house price if I ever moved, having a

huge lump of concrete stuck in my garden with 3/4 inch bolts protruding from it !

Most viewing my house if for sale, would  look for a new kitchen etc. and not lumps of concrete

in our garden. :)

Just a thought.

Nice hole

if you sell the house stick a bit of turf over it -sorted

the base to my pier is not as big as yours

pier to be poured when the temp drops a bit

steve

Nice hole

if you sell the house stick a bit of turf over it -sorted

the base to my pier is not as big as yours

pier to be poured when the temp drops a bit

steve

Hi Steve, just to let you know my pier was completed a couple of weeks ago. I'm releasing the

build pictures over the next few evenings. :)

The next pic shows the base almost full, the string running across the lawn is my polar north alignment marker

The next two show the base complete with added reinforcing bars ready for the pillar

The final pic shows the damage to the garden so far. :)

Looks fab Nick. If you don't ever need it, (doubtful) just stick a nice sundial on it, hidden in plain view.

Good luck with the pier. I built one last year and wouldn't be without it now.

Dave

The next step was to remove the framework, whilst the concrete is still green chase out for the cables.

The next step was to give the metal tube a good couple of coats of mould oil which is a release

agent to aid the removal of the tube when the concrete had set.

When all in position the concrete was poured.

I have some mould oil spare if anyone is doing a similar project F.O.C,

can collect at a meet. PM me.

You are such a tease! I want to see more!

Looks very sturdy so far.

James

The removal of the steel tube was a lot harder than first thought, when it was eventually removed the pier was left to harden

and then I set about planing for the base. 

The turf was removed and the leveling pegs set ready for more concrete.

Nick that is a mammoth project. You must have moved several tons of earth. Where have you been dumping it all?

James

Nick that is a mammoth project. You must have moved several tons of earth. Where have you been dumping it all?

James

James

Hi James, yes luckily I have ground to be made up at the bottom of my garden. ;)

What did you do with the turf Nick? If it's any good I'm looking for some lol :)

Hi Kim, yes you are more than welcome to have the turf, I'd better get some water on it. :)

The next step was to lay the concrete foundation and lay the block pavers.

And the following day start to lay the stone circle.

At the end of the day the stone circle complete.

Oh cool - I'll pm you Nick. :)

Luvin the patio - you've got a natural sun dial there - you could engrave some cardinal points and a North/South line for polar alignment - or do it in brass plate to flash it up a bit. :)