• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Nick's Pier Build

Geezanova

Nick, it just gets better and better! It look brilliant. You are going to have to start sweet talking the wife so she allows you to have an 'open evening' so we can come and see it, and christen it with a beer :)

James

Nick, it just gets better and better! It look brilliant. You are going to have to start sweet talking the wife so she allows you to have an 'open evening' so we can come and see it, and christen it with a beer :)

James

Sounds a good idea James :)

I've now renderd the pier to fill in all the air holes, done with a coat of PVA and a thin coat of

1:1 mix of sand and cement.

Almost complete, the pier now painted and Freya helped to brush in the kiln dried sand in

the joints.

All now ready for the electrician and the decorative stone.

Nick it looks wonderful, and will be superbly functional.

All you need to do now is build a wooden four sided structure around the brick edging, put a roof on and you are done :) Or would result in the wife kicking you out hahaha

It looks really smashing, I'm really pleased for you.

Great work.

James

P.S. Have you stacked those images of M81 from Wymeswold yet? If not, why not they are amazing.

Ok...these will be my last pics for the pier build. It's been a good project

and I'm pleased with the outcome. Can't wait now untill we get the dark skies back

and we're all ready to go !

Decorative stone down but a bag short !

Had to see what it would look like with my gear on.

The job complete :P

That is a pretty impressive pier you have there but a question if i may?

Since there is no "obsy", do you have to keep taking the mount off each time you are done?

I thought the whole point of pier / obsys was so that you did not have to keep setting up, polar align etc?

Just a question, I still think that is one of the best piers I have seen, awesome job!!!!

Nick, it looks even better with the stone around the edges. And the kit on it looks really impressive; I hadn't realised you had so much kit!

Let us know when the Pimms is being made :)

James

Di and I saw this pier over the weekend and it's better than the photos make it look. Thanks for the smashing day Nick and have you processed those sun pics yet? I'm dying to see what job the Lunt made of them lol. :)

Guest peepshow

Since there is no "obsy", do you have to keep taking the mount off each time you are done?

I thought the whole point of pier / obsys was so that you did not have to keep setting up, polar align etc?

Just a question, I still think that is one of the best piers I have seen, awesome job!!!!

Could one bolt two lasers onto ones gear and align their beams up to  predetermined tiny spots on a far wall each time say?

That is a pretty impressive pier you have there but a question if i may?

Hi Darren,

Thanks for the compliment. Yes I do remove my mount when done,

but I do not have to polar align every time as my pier is polar aligned.

I have a half / locking nut on the right hand side of my azimuth adjustment bolt

on my NEQ6, this is adjusted once and locked into position, when the mount is

set up again I use my left azimuth adjustment bolt to tighten up against my adaptor plate pin

which in turn finds polar north.

Nick, it looks even better with the stone around the edges. And the kit on it looks really impressive; I hadn't realised you had so much kit!

Let us know when the Pimms is being made :)

James

Hi James,

Thanks for the good feedback and yes you'll be one of the first to have a glass, cheers

Di and I saw this pier over the weekend and it's better than the photos make it look. Thanks for the smashing day Nick and have you processed those sun pics yet? I'm dying to see what job the Lunt made of them lol. :)

Hi Kim and Di,

Glad you enjoyed yourselves and yes I'm working on the pics,

will post later.

Polar aligning a pier - you learn something every day!

Well impressed now.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dardano

Wow ! that's amazing. If someday I build a pier, it'll be something like you did.

Great work !

Fred