• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

HEQ5 Synscan belt drive modification

glider

Has anybody tried one of these kits?

http://www.teleskop-shop.at/shop/index.php?m=2&kod=sbau-bor-das-5p&lng=eng&tab=1

A good selling point seems to be that the gear ratio isn't changed so it works with the original controller.

Other kits seem to require use of EQDIR/EQMOD because the ratio changes but you can tweak it in this software unlike in the controller.

I very much like the looking those indeed. I like the idea of h ing a belt mod but still keeping the handset.

What are the advantages of a belt driven system? Are these advantages still there if one uses a guide-camera?

James

Nice find, the other kit I saw changed the ratio so it could only be used with eqmod. I'd be interested to know if this works as well without changing the ratio

Edited by Teslar

What are the advantages of a belt driven system? Are these advantages still there if one uses a guide-camera?

James

Have a read of the link to the discussion Kim put up James. It discusses how the belt drive helped reduce PE, improves tracking accuracy and of course the horrible crunching sound when the mount starts/finishes skewing is gone too.

James

Main advantage of a belt drive over gears is there is no backlash with a belt drive.

Yes, mine is belt driven, but I just wondered what the advantages of a belt driven system were, especially given "everyone" (I don't) does guided imaging these days. And for visual it probably doesn't matter if you are belt or cogs I'd have thought.

James

Me too but I am not confident in the slightest in fitting them!! So they would likely sit in a box for a year or so until I found someone who would fit them for me lol!

Me too but I am not confident in the slightest in fitting them!! So they would likely sit in a box for a year or so until I found someone who would fit them for me lol!

Felix I would be more than happy to fit it for you :)

Felix I would be more than happy to fit it for you :)

That's very kind of you graham thanks :) I may very well take you up on that, cheers

No problem Felix.

I am gearing up (forgive the pun) to the relaunch of Astrotec.

If these kits are any good it will be just one of the many services that will be on offer. :)

Hmmm, interesting, Ive thought about this mod for awhile now, good for ts selling em, I feel a chrissy pressie idea coming on

No problem Felix.

I am gearing up (forgive the pun) to the relaunch of Astrotec.

If these kits are any good it will be just one of the many services that will be on offer. :)

Awesome News Graham. Glad to hear, all the best with the re-launch :)

• 1 month later...

Brilliant link Noel.

I have emailed them to see if I can do a deal on these units along with the EQ6 one once they come online.