• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

HEQ5 Synscan belt drive modification

glider

Quick update on these.

Have had a chat with the manufactures and they are going to sort me out a trade price in the very near future.

So I will be offering a fitting service soon after that. :2thumbsup:

Update for those people interested in a belt drive conversion for the NEQ6 that keeps the original gear ratio's.

I have been having another conversation with the company that does the belt drive conversion for the HEQ5.

They are going to push the development of the NEQ6 kit for me.

So it should be available sooner rather than later.

It's really easy to do and the guide sheet has great photos. I did it all in about 90 minutes the only adjustments required are to tension the belt. The rest is just a case of slackening a few screws and re-tighten. :D

Is it a lot quieter Tom? Obviously any backlash is taken up and I assume it would be more accurate for the Goto..

There's a video on YouTube - it just wirs along in a low pitched hum with no crunching when slewing - it really is very quiet. :)

Is it a lot quieter Tom? Obviously any backlash is taken up and I assume it would be more accurate for the Goto..

Can't you see the YouTube video in the post above?

Try this link

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PwoGhUE_O0s&feature=plpp

It definitely gets rid of the graunching noise when initiating a slew and is generally quieter. There backlash is gone in the gears replaced but not being too familiar with the rest of the innards I'm sure there will be slop else where. But any improvement is welcome right ;)

The traces if seem online show improved performance. I've yet to test mine out while imaging

Update for those people interested in a belt drive conversion for the NEQ6 that keeps the original gear ratio's.

I have been having another conversation with the company that does the belt drive conversion for the HEQ5.

They are going to push the development of the NEQ6 kit for me.

So it should be available sooner rather than later.

Fantastic, nice work graham. I am very interested in this :)

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I read it in context with post #1, implication busted. 

I could be wrong but memory thinks he followed George's guide as he posted up the initial mod where you have to drill and tap and shave gears :wacko::screwloose:

• 2 weeks later...

This is interesting, a company http://rowanastronomy.com/index.htm down near Oxford doing a kit for £89 for the HEQ5, with one for the NEQ6 coming soon.

I'm seriously tempted to get one, but not confident enough to start stripping down my HEQ5 pro  (even after reading those instructions:unsure:

Would also like to know how easy it is to get hold of replacement belts ..... I'm sure they'll wear eventually.

Anybody in the Nottingham/Loughbrough/Leicester area who knows how to fit these?

====Quick Edit====

Anybody know if these kits still allow the use of the handset.  I've seen some that do and some that only work under EQMOD once the belts are fitted.

Edited by Al.Grant

Hi Alistair.

I am not up there but I do supply and fit these kits.

You can send it down to me have the mod done and have it back for about £150.00 including the shipping by UPS both ways.

As for the belts -- No problem getting replacements.

Thanks

Graham

ps

The kits I use keep the same gear ratios so allow the use of the handset.

Edited by Graham

Hi Alistair.

I am not up there but I do supply and fit these kits.

You can send it down to me have the mod done and have it back for about £150.00 including the shipping by UPS both ways.

As for the belts -- No problem getting replacements.

Thanks

Graham

ps

The kits I use keep the same gear ratios so allow the use of the handset.

Thanks.  I'll certainly keep that option in mind.  

Looked at the instructions again and then took the cover plate off my mount to look inside, it doesn't look as bad as I thought.

Had an email from Rowan Engineering who supply the kit and they confirm that the one they supply keeps the ratio the same, so it's still OK with the handset.

Mod done (by Graham) and working very well! Goto seems a bit more accurate, tracking is good and the quietness is most welcome!