• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

EQ6 and USB issues

Allan the Plumber

Hi can anyone advise

I have a 7 port powered USB2.0 hub which is connected via a 15M “active†USB cable into summerhouse and then into laptop that I control “EQ6 pro†mount, cameras both DSLR and web cam and focuser.

I’m having a few issues with the latest Steallariumscope and EQMOD (has happened with older versions too) as if I try to complete a 3 star alignment I either crash EQmod and Stellariumscope stops working and the mount stops in that position so I have to manual park scope and start again.

Or in some occasions the whole lap top freaks out (technical term) :huh:

I’m not running anything else at the same time, the laptop is top speck with a Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-3630QM (2.40GHz) 6MB and 12GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (3 x 4GB)

I was wondering if the power cord to the mount can move and breaking the connection from the power source. Has anyone else had this issue with the EQ6 if the power fluctuates? It also can happen if I add the web cam or DSLR to the hub at a later point in my evening. Is this a power surge? A problem with the hub? Or maybe the length of active USB cable (good quality too)

The power issue seems to be my main thought as I tend to loose Stellariumscope when I’m slewing the scope around the sky to get a better alignment by using stars in different section of the sky

Sorry to be vague can anyone advise

Allan :(

I had this issue without the hub in the chain though at EMS2. It was actually caused by the power cable into the NEQ6. It was just breaking connection for a split second which was enough to crash CDC and EQMOD. I would suggest checking that before getting to worried about the hub, although I am not a fan of hubs as Stephen, Sheila and Steve will testify, I just don't like the idea of them full stop.

I had this issue without the hub in the chain though at EMS2. It was actually caused by the power cable into the NEQ6. It was just breaking connection for a split second which was enough to crash CDC and EQMOD. I would suggest checking that before getting to worried about the hub, although I am not a fan of hubs as Stephen, Sheila and Steve will testify, I just don't like the idea of them full stop.

Any idea how to make power connection better? Why don't you like hubs? and how do you get around them ? :)

Would love to know if better solution

Oh yes congrats on becoming a Mod for EMS :D

Oh yes congrats on becoming a Mod for EMS :D

I have had some trouble with a particularly errant hub,  but i would actually not choose to use anything else.  I am very happy with

the performance of the hub when it works.  Stephen had a failure with his but it was replaced and he has had no issues with his.

I am about to pick up a replacement for mine as mine had an intermittent error.

Personally i would not really use anything else.  It does what it says on the tin.  Its a hub and power supply and dew heater control for all

my various bits of kit in one small box and allows full computer control.  I use Hitec Astro mount hub pro and so does Stephen.  Its all a matter of personal choice really.

I would suggest the same as Mike, the 6 is noted for power cable issues.  Take a look at Stephen modded power cables on his 6

they are a bit more robust connection

Sheila

Edited by Sheila

I'm just not a fan of sending so many signals down the one USB cable, but that's just me. Power cable mod, as Sheila says, see Stephens mod in the DIY section, I'm soon going to butcher erm.... modify Sheila's NEQ6 to use the same method.

Link Note: Images were hosted on the now deleted Gallery I think. I'm sure if you PM Stephen he may still have them for you to look at.

Thanks for that Shelia and Mike,

looks like it could be a power issue then

:unsure:  err can I ask what Stephen's EMS name I'm a little slow when it comes to members sorry :facepalm:

Thanks for that Shelia and Mike,

looks like it could be a power issue then

:unsure:  err can I ask what Stephen's EMS name I'm a little slow when it comes to members sorry :facepalm:

Its okay work out it Kheldar :facepalm:

Here's the link for the mod Allan

http://bendun.net/Images/STARFEST2011/EQ6%20Power%20Plug%20Modification.pdf

I am sure Stephen can help with any hints or tips having actually completed the mod. I am planning to do this mod also as the power cable can sometimes pull out/flicker and lose connection momentarily on my NEQ6 too.

Here's the link for the mod Allan

http://bendun.net/Images/STARFEST2011/EQ6%20Power%20Plug%20Modification.pdf

I am sure Stephen can help with any hints or tips having actually completed the mod. I am planning to do this mod also as the power cable can sometimes pull out/flicker and lose connection momentarily on my NEQ6 too.

Thanks for that Felix

Probably wouldn’t do anything major like that to mount till warranty out as if anything else went wrong I could kiss any repair or refund goodbye, will probably try the good old duck tape till early next year then get my mate to do the electronic soldering etc. and I’ll drill the hole

I hope it’s the power issue rather than hub was even thinking as laptop has USB3.0 as main inputs getting USB3.0 cables and hub as all USB3 are back compatible to run USB 1 and 2 and the better USB 3 cable might allow more data traffic but I’ll stick with the power option first :D

I've used duct tape and cable tied it to the control cable as well for now, it seems to have done the trick. I would suggest maybe one of the sticky back cable tidy pads? I didn't have any to hand and it was at EMS2 when the "fix" had to be carried out. If I get chance before Kelling I will prob get some cable tidy pads to effect a better fix for the time being.

i belive my problems at EMS2 were due to power cable problems, iafter a few slews and after tracking for a while the mount just stopped, i had now control in stellarium, anything i clicked on the mount wouldn`t move and the same with eqmod, i thought that eqmod might have a time out function or something, very strange as it`s never happened before ever and while at EMS2 i had it twice in one night.

i`ve ordered a plug and socket, i think there called "MIC" plugs from e bay, only a couple of qiud or so.

fingers crossed that will be the problem solved.

Edited by red dwalf

You would think that Skywatcher would fit a better plug really. £1,000 odd worth of mount and they fit a 10p plug and socket, what difference would an extra 50p make I ask myself.

Have ordered some too

you don't think its an issue with EQmod ? or the latest versions of Stellariumscope ?

Have ordered some too

you don't think its an issue with EQmod ? or the latest versions of Stellariumscope ?

I very much doubt it, but obviously can't rule it out. When my power wobbled it crashed CDC, EQMod, ASCOM and PHD. I thought it was EQMod being grumpy but on the 3rd occasion I spotted the issue and after that it was fine. My £1 is on the power cable.

You would think that Skywatcher would fit a better plug really. £1,000 odd worth of mount and they fit a 10p plug and socket, what difference would an extra 50p make I ask myself.

you should see the things celestron use inside the cge mounts, an observatory class mount with 10cent radio shack connectors inside, all the big names seem to do it

Thanks for all info and feed back :lol:

So we are all in agreement they spend far too little on the power attachments on these mounts ( whichever make) :screwloose:

A change and modded power attachment is best ( but after warranty is out) :huh:

So the time being duct tape and sticky Velcro cable ties is Okay :)

Thanks for that glad its not EQMOD etc :rolleyes: