• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Flock Me!

stovesy

So the focuser has arrived, and its time to disassemble the 'scope and do some drilling !! Eeek !

Is it worth flocking, while all bits are removed from the tube.......

Where to apply the flock ? (all through the tube, or just opposite the focuser)

What to use?

Cheers all.

Pete

Yes, and do the whole lot, it will help. Use black velvet effect sticky back stuff off eBay. The stuff is made by DC Fix, it's the same stuff FLO sell but on bigger rolls and much cheaper too. Search DC Fix Vinyl on eBay, I think I paid about £9.00 for 1m x 1m which did the 200p, st80 and ED 80 as well as a few smill bits left over for extension tubes etc.

Yes definitely do it-the whole tube! I did and it definitely makes a difference :)

I can second that Pete..adds quite a bit of contrast..well glad I did it.

You can get it from Wilko too.. £5 per roll. I have even flocked the inside of my finder.

I'm going to be flocking my newt soon too. I just need to go to Wilko's and think of a bribe to get AstroDamian and AstroLeigh to help me [do it for me].

JD

P.S. Poor Di

If you need a hand gimme a shout James and if I'm free (my weekends get booked up quickly!) Perhaps there is something in shift working after all..........nah!

Pete, i might make a wilko trip for flocking material either tomorrow (Hinkley) or Thursday (Nottingham); if you want me to get you some let me know.

James

James.

I've already ordered some material off the web. If there's any spare after I've used it, you're welcome to it.

Yeah the Wilko's stuff is perfect-I prefer into the feel of protostar personally. Not that the feel really matters. But it does the job perfectly. I've had no problems with slip/tearing/wear of any kind from mine.

Wayne, wilko hinkley only had two, i got them both lol. I'll look for one more.

Felix, do i go up and down, or around and around?

Jd

Wayne, wilko hinkley only had two, i got them both lol. I'll look for one more.

Felix, do i go up and down, or around and around?

Jd

I did it in two and half sections around and around if that makes sense :)

Yes. My stuff is only 450mm wide (1000mm long) and i've not measured my tube, but it's longer than 900mm, so i think i might need three rings of stuff. How far near the top to do it, and how far to the bottom? Surely it can't go all the way to the very bottom can it, or the mirror wouldn't fit back in the now much snugger hole.

Does the velor stuff produce fluff which lands on the mirror after it's installed?

Jd

Yes. My stuff is only 450mm wide (1000mm long) and i've not measured my tube, but it's longer than 900mm, so i think i might need three rings of stuff. How far near the top to do it, and how far to the bottom? Surely it can't go all the way to the very bottom can it, or the mirror wouldn't fit back in the now much snugger hole.

Does the velor stuff produce fluff which lands on the mirror after it's installed?

Jd

I removed absolutely everything so I was left with just the tube and I flocked the entire inside length of it. Everything fitted back together fine. And no it doesn't leave any fluff on the mirror that's why it's so perfect :)

Jd

J totally strip the OTA inc the collar on top end and flock the whole thing top to bottom. Don't worry about the mirror fitting as they don't fit that snug anyway..remember there has to be room for collimation movement.

And there isnt much fluff mate so dont worry about that. As I said to you before the handiest tool for me was a can of furniture polish..or anything like that, deodorant (you will need to buy that J ;) ).

Hope that helps.