• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Flock Me!

stovesy

Ah, ok. Well once i've got enough flocking material, i'll throw a flocking party, and everyone can rub my tube with cans of BO spray.

Thanks guys.

Jd

Guest CodnorPaul

I often see Wilkos while I am around various towns - whats the material James if it is in short supply and I will have a look.  Will be by one tomorrow morning if you let me know I will see what they have got

If you just pick up black DC fix from Wilco's without tearing of a corner of the wrapping to check first, you may end up with the satin finish stuff, very easily done. Also, and at the risk of teaching a female grand parent to suck hen ovum, don't forget to stop or cut the flock back about an inch at the primary end of the tube or you won't get the mirror in.

Must have missed something..

What's the spray for ???

Some use a spray bottle filled with warm water-any spray really will do. You basically spray the surface that you re about to stick the flocking to so that it enables you to slide the flocking material around until you get it perfect then you smooth it down and leave it for the sprayed liquid to evaporate and hey presto it's all good.

Having said that I didn't use any spray I was just über careful :)

Flocking your orion will help alot Pete, do the whole lot as others describe, it will improve contrast.

I did mine when it was stripped completely for restoration, much easier that way. If your new focuser requires a bigger hole in the tube cut that and do any drilling etc before flocking as getting filings, swarf off the flock is a right pain.

And remember to vacuum the tube after youve flocked and before you put the mirror in. The wilko stuff is a bit dusty when new with loose flock, this will eventually get on your primary if you dont clear it 1st, i know because i didnt vacuum, then wondered what the fine bkack stuff was on my nice new recoated mirror. :-(

You must have had a odd batch Phil, or mine was a good one but I had no problems whatsoever with any loose material ending up on the mirror. I didn't Hoover my tube post flocking and have had no problems at all. It's a good suggestion though, just to be sure.

You must have had a odd batch Phil, or mine was a good one but I had no problems whatsoever with any loose material ending up on the mirror. I didn't Hoover my tube post flocking and have had no problems at all. It's a good suggestion though, just to be sure.

I have to agree with Phil, mine was in need of a hoover but as it was on my horrid f4 I didn't care much :rolleyes:

A drop, and I do mean a drop of washing up liquid in the water spray helps much more than neat water. I did mine dry but I have applied a lot of sign writting in my time so I am quite confident with this sort of thing. Use a very sharp craft knife or stanley blade to pop any stubborn bubbles, then smooth down with an old credit card or similar. I did mine in one piece bought off eBay, much cheaper and of course less joins etc.

Yes. My stuff is only 450mm wide (1000mm long) and i've not measured my tube, but it's longer than 900mm, so i think i might need three rings of stuff. How far near the top to do it, and how far to the bottom? Surely it can't go all the way to the very bottom can it, or the mirror wouldn't fit back in the now much snugger hole.Does the velor stuff produce fluff which lands on the mirror after it's installed?Jd
how much is it per pack? PS rub your what? LOL ;-)

The wilkos stuff is £5 for 45cm wide by 100cm long (i think); for my mine imve been told i need three rolls. I'm not sure how much cheaper mike's big one is.

Cost me £10 and I've done the 200p, the st80, ed80, various adapters and bits and bobs and have a few bits left. It's the exact same one, just off the big roll rather than in retail packaging.

Mikes option sounds much more economical. Also James I flocked a 200P with 2.5 rolls of the Wilko's stuff maybe get a measuring tape out and calculate how much you will need for your 10inch scope

The wilkos stuff is £5 for 45cm wide by 100cm long (i think); for my mine imve been told i need three rolls. I'm not sure how much cheaper mike's big one is.
thanks James :-)