• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hello from Sandiacre!

Guest Philmarriott

Guest Philmarriott

Hi guys just looking at getting into a little star gazing. As you can gather im in Sandiacre and was introduced by a work colleague, Rob Slack. I currently have no equiptment so any recommendations are welcome ;)

Guest CodnorPaul

Hi Phil - welcome to EMS.  You will be in good hands with Rob so my only advice is think carefully about what you want, ask lots of questions, and try to get to a meet to consider the various options and look at/through the kit there before making any decisions.

Enjoy!

Hello from me.

Take plenty of time choosing your first scope. It can be an expensive mistake if you don't get what is best for you first time around.

Get yourself to a meet when you can to look through other members scopes so you can get a feel for what you prefer. There is usually a large variety of set ups at our meets.

Hi and welcome to EMS.

Rob will help point you in the right direction!

Hope you enjoy the forum.

Guest devil74

Hi Phil and welcome aboard EMS.

There is a wealth of info and advice on here so even if you think you have a silly question just ask it..we all do it..I still do lol.

Rob is a top geezer and gazer so he'll point you in the right direction.

Damian

Guest Tweedledum

Hi There,

Warm welcome to EMS. You don't need much more than the mark one eyeball!! Try getting a copy of 'turn left at orion' and 'sky & telescope pocket star atlas', these will help guide your way round the sky. Also download a planetarium program, lots out there but try stellarium its easy to use and free, to be found here :-- http://www.stellarium.org/  ..

Hi Phil and welcome.

Talk a lot to Rob and decide if you just want to observe or you want to image, then go from there

Sheila

Yes welcome.

We all want an observatory like rob's, so you won't be alone in being envious.

Looking forward to meeting you sometime.

James

Hi Phil, a warm welcome to EMS.

Just get a pair of binoculars to start with, they will show you some nice stuff that's around, in particular the Andromeda galaxy. This from a dark site in bino's is a lovely sight. There are a good few nice star clusters, which really do well in bino's as the field of view in a scope is too small to get them all in.

This, and while you are having a look, you are learning your way round the sky.

There is a whole bunch of great things to see in the winter sky, when it's not cloudy of course, and then you get the galaxy clusters in the spring.

Ask Rob when the next meet is and come along and say hello. Even with no kit, Iam sure you would be more than welcome to have a look through some scopes, and help you on the way to getting your own. 

As Damian says download Stellarium, this is a great free program, which has recently been upgraded. It is a cracking bit of software now.

Guest Philmarriott

Morning everyone. Looking at getting some binoculars. I have seen the celestron skymaster 15x75. Would these be ok do you think to get started and see some interesting things?

Cheers! Phil.

I have the celestron sky master 15x70's and would highly recommend them. Good at pulling in open and globular clusters and some of the brighter DSO's. Not too heavy when used laying on a sun lounger (best binocular observing position in my opinion) if using them standing up a tripod is a good buy also as they can become heavy after a while. Nice smooth focusing action. My only grumble with them is the dual eyepiece cover-would have preferred individual eyepiece covers. Overall a good set of bins :)

Hi Phil welcome to EMS helpful group Robs helped me with my set up knows his stuff he won't agree with me there

If you two work together are you going to set up EMA stargazers (airport/ travel agent joke) :-)

Guest peepshow

Yes just to reiterate, get a pair of binoculars as a starter.  

As I am a beginner too it's the best way to start and help you decide what kind of

astronomy you would like to pursue and so what equipment to buy.

I have an inflatable bed that I lay on in the garden, using my 15/70's Bins  :)

So far I haven't persuaded the wife to lay down with me in the cold  :D

Guest Philmarriott

Ok guys got myself some celestron 15x70 binoculars today and a tripod to get started so hopefully get to test them out on something other than the neighbours tonight.