• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Star Party/ Darksite Mobile Warmroom Van Conversion.

Perkil8r

Looking good Mike, we totally get where you're coming from, it's quite normal :-D Good luck with the next phase. :-)

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Perkil8r

• Cazz

• philjay

• RonC

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday I made the two parts for the seat, today I made the main supports and fitted them in the van.

1460222_10151973931393917_1700607682_n.j

I will need to trim a small amount off the seat top and fold out bed as I forgot to allow for carpet :facepalm: Fingers crossed I should get the seat in tomorrow. Then I can start on the roof lining. Once I've made that I can take it apart again and insulate and cover panels in carpet etc. Still not figured out exactly what to do with the B post trims yet, nor exctly what to do about lights. I have some ideas, just got to choose one and get going.

Nice work mike. Dont bother with swapping your interior festoon bulbs for red leds like I did, they are pretty dim. Ive decided against carpeting as my van is still a working van and the carpet starts to look tatty after a very short time. Im going to put new full length headlining in though to smarten it up a bit.

The lights will be LED's just not quite sure on the format yet, there are so man of them! I have a smallish Baz Battery that I will use. it's ony for the lights and to power the Laptop for a single night. If I'm at a star party I'll be on mains anyway ;)

The seat is in and it works! :D

581261_10151976114133917_812150974_n.jpg

Sorry for poor picture quality!

It seems very solid and has a slight rake on it which wasn't intended. Somewhere my maths or measuring is slightly out but it actually feels a bit better for it I think. I've ordered the foam for the seat pads, hopefully that will be here this week. Next job is to make the supports for the bed when folded out. Just typing this I have figured out the error in my calculations! I may alter it just so it fits as I intended. Hmmmm...... Any way, the seat is in and easily takes my weight and SWMBO as well which means it is plenty strong enough.

The error comes where I didn't take into account the thickness of the board on the front, this means the front edge hits the floor first. I had calculated it without taking this into account meaning the back edge is correct. All I need to do is chamfer the edge of the board and it will sit flush on the bearers.

You're making good progress there.

We have some spare foam - enough for a campervan double bed & single seat, there's 5 pieces in all, and some beigh headlining carpet if you, Phil or anyone else can use them. :-)

Hope youve got a good mattress for that bef, looks a bit unforgiving on the old back mate :-)

I have some foam on order now for it. Hopefully it will be enough.... we shall see!

You're making good progress there.

We have some spare foam - enough for a campervan double bed & single seat, there's 5 pieces in all, and some beigh headlining carpet if you, Phil or anyone else can use them. :-)

Now you tell me :facepalm: I've ordered it now :lol: but thanks for the offer. As for headlining, I am going to use the same grey cord carpet I am using for the walls. I'm using black for the floor and black cord cloth for the cushions / mattress :) I'm trying to go colour coded :lol:

I did read the bit where you said "have ordered" but for some reason my brain thought it was for another seat, I don't know why I thought that :-/ there really is no help for me!!!

I'll do better next time, can you trigger my memory before hand next time please. ;-)

all sounds very posh

best get some door mats

:lol: Slippers only in the van after it's finished! :lol:

So far I have spent:

Ply for rear bulkhead £22

Sound deadening £14.95

Bag of screws £1.75

total spend to date £38.70

The rest of the wood, hinges and screws etc have either been re-used from the van fittings from before or from either mine or my dad's shed, we both hoard bits and bobs as we come across them :D

:lol: Slippers only in the van after it's finished! :lol:

So far I have spent:

Ply for rear bulkhead £22

Sound deadening £14.95

Bag of screws £1.75

total spend to date £38.70

The rest of the wood, hinges and screws etc have either been re-used from the van fittings from before or from either mine or my dad's shed, we both hoard bits and bobs as we come across them :D

size 9 for me

• 2 weeks later...

Been a few days but here's a bit more. Managed to get the headlining made and fitted today. Void filled with plenty of insulation for sound and cold proofing :brr:

1472958_10152008851363917_316653192_n.jp

Fingers crossed I might get to the carpet shop tomorrow and then I can start some of the trimming. Only major job left for now is a door panel for the sliding door, then I can insulate that too and it should be a bit warmer in there. Then it's just a few trim pieces to make to cover gaps here and there and a table of course. The foam is arriving on Tuesday so the cushions won't be too much longer now.

I'd like to point out that the white light will not be used at star parties etc and it won't be wedged with scraps of hardboard once the carpet is applied! There is also a bit of sag in the long edge near the front end, this will be sorted at the same time as the carpet ;)

What a palaver :facepalm: I went to get carpet, they only had black or beige, I didn't want to go that colour so decided to go to the other carpet shop which turned into a rage incident due to folks who can't park meaning I couldn't get the van in so I took a trip over to Spondon Carpets and found a nice chap there who was nice and helpful. Settled on dark grey for all of it rather than 2 different colours. They had a roll end 4.1m x 4.0m and it was 33% cheaper than the previous store, but he still gave me some more off on top! :rockon: 

Then to B&Q for some spray glue and so it began. I never planned originally to carpet the roof lining in situation but that's what I did :facepalm: I've also painted the speaker screws while they were out. So this is as far as I have got so far. I now have a huge headache partly from stopping in bed too long this morning, and partly down to breathing in glue all afternoon at a guess.

734170_10152011200468917_1901166261_n.jp

See, I told you the light would fit better with carpet :D