• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

New versions of Windows

glider

How about this as a top tip for MS.

When you launch a new version of Windows have a feature that the first time it installs, or you buy a new PC and turn it on for the first time it asks you how old you are.

Then it installs the software for your age.

I'd still be on XP but AT LEAST I COULD DRIVE IT.

Rant over.

Guest Tweedledum

Windows, don't get me started...But have any of you had the misfortune of supporting an enterprise buit around OS2, and then throttling the damn units with pc3270---and have your IT Director calling them dumb terminals,then the ejet went and bought 1200 ps2 56's after asking IBM if they would work with 8Mb ram...After buying them and finding out that only the OS would run in 8 meg and the ram had to be doubled, 25% PSU failure ---- they saw him coming....

Rant Over, back to Dr Noel...

Guest Tweedledum

I am with Rusty, xp bar NT for enterprise stuff has probably had the longest legs of em all...xp on netbook and old laptop (W2000 pro on spare HD) for serial port control. W7 on desktop & laptop.

Windows 3.1, now that's where I started!! Running Win 7 now though a bit better and faster!!

Windows 7 is actually a very good OS and will, in most cases, stand up to others when used in day to day computing. The tragedy that was Windows Vista damaged the credibility of the Windows franchise, and rightly so, especially after failing to learn from the mistakes of Windows 98 and Windows ME.

The big issue with windows is that it caters, more and more, for the inept. Input methods designed for the novice are counter intuitive and are all enabled by default.

I have Windows 7 with Ubuntu 11.10 on VMWare. Great combination.

Craig me and my Dad were just talking about that today, how theres so much stuff thats made it easy for the novice that it just consumes more and more power.

Guest Tweedledum

Windows just gobbles up resource, however no one in the industry has challenged that fact to any great length - Most of the desktop sw is MS based unless you have a free thinker as your cio.

A lot of industry comes from the execs homes hence the growth of Blackberry as a standard device for remote email(HATE HATE HATE)..Next is the proliferation of Ipads / touch pads because they were once exec toys.

And you see a lot of application development using a web interface as a desktop interface to your apps. So full circle, big remote mainframes low bandwidth and terminals, distributed pcs with file store & forward, email becomes a critical application when there is a phone on your desk, storage becomes king, back to thin client / citrix. Lock the desktop, stalkerbook takes over the world, curse of friends re-united ...100Mb to home service and the whole financial industry reliant on a 20p patch cable, unless it has a Meade badge when its 10 quid to you sir. :D

But thats why I have a quad processor barely ticking over with 8gb ram and 2.5Tb of storage. The hardware has to be one step ahead. Love it!.

(Oh yes, CP/m and editing paper tape comes pretty close....)

I've had a computer since the days of my Commodore 64 and then the Amiga and then a PC with Windows 3.11 and having to mess aroundwith EMS and XMS in the auto exec.bat files to get some games to work. I've progressed through Windows to 7 which I installed on a computer I built a couple of years ago but think the next computer I buy will be a Mac. Everyone I know who has one, including my brother-in-law who works in IT in the city swears by them. The OS is targetted less by hackers the system is more stable, even to xp and 7, and boot up in a few seconds......nuff said!

I won't join in the debate about Windows - I allways wind up saying all the horrid things I'd do to Bill Gates. He said he was giving away 94 billion quid and so far I ain't seen a penny of it lol :)

Guest Kheldar

If it wasn't for Bill, you'd all be using IBM mainframes in your living rooms.

Hail to the chief ;)

PS FYI I learned to cut code on a ZX81 like a good programmer :) I miss those days ...

I've had a computer since the days of my Commodore 64 and then the Amiga and then a PC with Windows 3.11 and having to mess aroundwith EMS and XMS in the auto exec.bat files to get some games to work. I've progressed through Windows to 7 which I installed on a computer I built a couple of years ago but think the next computer I buy will be a Mac. Everyone I know who has one, including my brother-in-law who works in IT in the city swears by them. The OS is targetted less by hackers the system is more stable, even to xp and 7, and boot up in a few seconds......nuff said!

I've followed a similar path to you David, only starting with a ZX Spectrum 48k instead.

I built my own desktops for a few years and finally took the leap of faith to Mac 2 years ago with an iMac 27". It's the best computer I've ever used, and it looks like a piece of modern art! Try a Mac and you'll never look back :)

Guest Kheldar

oh no not zx81's, we used to set the mboards of those & speccy's in epoxy resin & use as paperweights at Imagine.

You evil, evil person ....

I've followed a similar path to you David, only starting with a ZX Spectrum 48k instead.

I built my own desktops for a few years and finally took the leap of faith to Mac 2 years ago with an iMac 27". It's the best computer I've ever used, and it looks like a piece of modern art! Try a Mac and you'll never look back :)

Not entirely sure I agree. I moved to a Mac three years ago, and I still find I have use for both my Mac and PC in almost every thing I do on a daily basis.

"I learned to cut code on a ZX81"

Pah!! That's nothing - my first code was put directly into registers and memory locations using two state keys - one painstaking instruction after the next - then you entered a start address and flicked the run button to get the "Executive program" to execute it lol :)

(and that was using magnetic core)

Beat this I used to punch holes for binary code in tape and feed them in to the reels by hand!

.........I can't back that up! I just wanted to join in!!! Ha ha ha! Lol :)

Windows 7 is great. I rolled it acrross the firm last year and we have been so much better than crappy xp.

I tried appleos and think its pants, ubuntu is good for netbooks but i am not a linux expert.

We have the new generation blackberrys and they are getting better, i had the new torch for a week for bug testing and it has lots. Had a 9900 for a few months and love it.

I also have a home server 2011 which is marvelous and good value too

You aren't missing anything Mick - after 30yrs it's ...yawwwnnnnn....... not like in the good old days when there was something new every 6mths :)