• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

LRGB data, Jupiter 13/11

oldfruit

Having got over the initial "excitement" of managing to produce my first RGB image, I thought I should look a little more at the processing as the initial effort was left a little wanting IMO.

This has been done again from scratch. Stacked in Autostakkert, wavelets and RGB combine done in Registax and then tweaked in Photoshop.

Hope you like? I think the colours look a lot more natural in this one.

NEWJUP_zps55bad144.jpg

Getting to grips with this method of imaging is gonna keep me occupied for a while yet. :)

NEWJUP_zps552373cd.jpg

Another re-process.

Edited by oldfruit

Great work Mark, there seems to be a greater contrast in the colours than with a colour camera

Thanks Paul, as you know I am a bit of a novice to mono imaging so I am still feeling my way around with this set up at the moment. In all honesty the seeing was pretty poor on the morning these were taken so I am actually quite pleased at how they have come out. I think with some more practice and some good seeing I should be able to get better resolution in the images. It is an interesting learning curve and one that I am just beginning.

I have seen some excellent images taken with similar set ups to mine so hopes are high as we enter this Jupiter season. :thumbsup:

Guest foundaplanet

Are you on a 2x barlow with extender.. Reason I ask is that I have been reading a bit as I have considered a 5x but it seems that a 3x with extender seems to be optimal for most conditions in the uk..

I had a 3x before and I stupidly sold it, I used it with an extender, and I do the same with my 2x that I currently use plus the filter wheel.

You should Col, Lukebl on SGL did an interesting review as he did the same and then compared the replacements. After a lot of trial and error he ended up with a 5x tv imagemate I think. But his conclusion was that he should have stuck with his 3x tv barlow.

How long/frame rate did you give each sub, im intereste as I hope to give colour a go with my imgoh cam. I know you have to keep everything to within 3 minutes to avoid rotation blurr but it seems to me to be an awful lot to do in 3 minutes

Nice one Mark, how long/frame rate did you use etc as above?

I edited my post with the question above after you had posted your reply so you maybe missed it.

Nice one Mark, how long/frame rate did you use etc as above?

I edited my post with the question above after you had posted your reply so you maybe missed it.

Thanks Phil, there was a little rotation blur but I used the moon shadow as the main align point and it seems to have come out ok.

I have a long way to go yet with this and as you say, it is a lot to do in 3 minutes, but that said it is doable. My captures took a little longer than that as they were my first runs with the RGB filters. I think I could easily do it in less time with a little practice, problem was I was also (possibly needlessly) re-checking the focus between the captures with each filter. I will try to do the images without this next time to see how they come out.

I was imaging at about 30fps and adjusted the exposure until the image was bright enough but not too bright. To be honest I would need to check on my imaging laptop as I believe it saves the settings for each individual capture. If it does then I will post them on here tomorrow.

Guest foundaplanet

I'd been thinking about how much of a faff it might be changing wheels and the thought of refocusing on different colour filters sounds like a bit of a mission.

That's great Mark. Im just wondering about doing RGB so far. I haven't got many monos under my belt with the IMGOH yet but at some stage I shall try with Jup this apparition. I still have my old colour toucam pro somewhere I shall try that first though if I can find my old wind up PC.

I'd been thinking about how much of a faff it might be changing wheels and the thought of refocusing on different colour filters sounds like a bit of a mission.

Not too much faff at all Col. This was my first real attempt so I hope to get better each session.

Edited by oldfruit

I still have my lrgb filter set I used on dso and once in the wheel they are parfocal and dont require refocusing after swapping, however I do check focus after just to make sure

I still have my lrgb filter set I used on dso and once in the wheel they are parfocal and dont require refocusing after swapping, however I do check focus after just to make sure

I was just worried that by swapping filters i may have moved the focus, though i probably did not. I think i was being over cautious. I shall just swap filters next time and keep my fingers crossed. ;)

The capture settings in Sharpcap were as follows,

Frame divisor 1

Resolution 640x480

Framerate maximum, this can be up to 55 0r more fps.

Exposure 0.004863

Brightness 5

Gamma 50

Gain 75.

I hope this is of some use?

Nice one Mark. Thanks for posting settings is always helpful when you're having a tough night to have a a set of settings as a "go to" if everything you're trying is not yielding old results :)