• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Members views please

Guest pvcprinting

Guest Tweedledum

Thats a great price but ;--

1. No Finder, depending on what you want a used rdf about £20 or a 8*50 for £30.

2. No Eyepieces. used ep's 1.25" starguiders c £35 ea, though with having an ota like this it would be worth saving for some 2" eps.

3. If you are a newbie, THIS IS BIG!! :)

You would have £30 budget left, then you are not going to be able to use it until you have a couple of ep's and finder

Edited by Tweedledum

Hi peter, it's a BIG scope and a long way to drive! I would think maybe another £100 to get the finder and EP's?

Hang on and wait for a 200p, we will all keep an eye on Astro B&S as well!!

Cheers

Ron

As above, this is a big scope for a first one, but there's nothing wrong with that necessarily, and it is IMO at a good price. The 200p is a darned good scope to start with and those extra 2 inches make a huge difference to the size of the scope as a whole. The 200p is a lot easier to handle. 

As for the Telescope Outlet, something about it doesn't sit right with me, but please don't go on my opinion on that as I have heard some good reports about them :) it's just my own "feeling" I am basing it no experience what so ever.

i would have thought you might be able to get a 200p with a few extras, i.e. fitted with a better focuser and maybe a eyepiece or two for around £200, but for £175 i think if i was buying a dob i would go for the 250 you mentioned above, a lot of bang for buck on that scope,

a couple of second hand eyepieces and a cheap red dot finder i think could be bought for another £40 ish.

with look someone on the forum might have a cheap red dot finder they don`t want and offer it up, most people upgrade them over time.

Hi. Ive got a skywatcher 9x50 finder off my 250p you can have. I'm never going to use it again so if it helps you you can have it.

Leaves you a bit more budget to play with, and makes more room for me to buy more stuff :D

Oh and I've got a 26mm plossl (spelling) which came with my big frac. Same as above.

Edited by T A WOW

I've got a couple of meade eye pieces for sale in the sale section, they've done us proud for a year or so.

It's amazing how much 'stuff' you collect along the way. :-)

Guest pvcprinting

Again....thanks all

I am overwhellmed by the responses on here

I am unable to access the sales / wants boards as a new member

Pete - it won't be long before you can access the Sale/Want Ads - just 7 more posts and you're there. You'll get that easy with all the questions you're going to have. :)

(but don't worry - it's slow so you aren't missing anything right now)

Guest pvcprinting

Have found and secured a 200p Dob for my £200 budget, subject to inspection of it to ensure its all good

Best you lot then take a deep brreath and prepare for the barrage of questions coming your way

Nicely done, fantastic scope, I've had mine nearly 3 years and still love it.

If you need any help regarding upgrades, modding it or things you can get for it to aid in finding the allusive DSO's, just give me a shout and I can help you out.

Edited by Daz Type-R

Well done Peter, it was good to meet you yesterday. Daz is the man to ask about mods (modifying) a Dob scope. Hunt down a Wixey on Ebay if you can!  :)

Cheers

Ron

Well done Peter, it was good to meet you yesterday. Daz is the man to ask about mods (modifying) a Dob scope. Hunt down a Wixey on Ebay if you can! :)

Cheers

Ron

Mick (Doc) is a goldmine of Dob related information too Peter-helped me out a lot with modifications to my 200P when I had it on a dobsonian base.

Guest pvcprinting

Thanks folks.....

It isnt a standard Dob....here is a quick description of whats included

It has an upgraded 'Lazy Susan' Azimuth bearing which is a very popular upgrade for these instruments. This makes for much smoother and easier tracking of objects. It also has an upgraded Finder-scope which is a 9 x 50 Skywatcher, Right Angle, Correct Image. This makes finding objects so much easier. These retail at £70. Also included is a decent quality 10mm eyepiece.