• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Sharpcap 2

red dwalf

have downloaded Sharpcap 2 and some very nice little additions, most helpfull of all is the focusing plugin, works brilliently with the Skywatcher autofoucer and my hitec dc focus unit.

anyone wanting to do some plantary imaging over the next few months i would highly recommend this software.

Edited by red dwalf

I used sharpcap 2 for the Jupiter images the other night. I focus by hand though so did not use it to its full potential.

Just downloaded it. It seems nice. It hasn't frozen yet on the laptop which is a bonus; the laptop really didn't like the old version of sharpcap for some reason (it doesn't like most software).

Had a quick play and it recognises the camera, and i like how i can move the black box around and pick which bit of the cameras sensor i want to image from when using a smaller image size.

Will try and have a go with it if the weather permits. But looks promising.

Thanks.

James

you`ll have to get one of those Skywatcher autofocusers fitted to the 2--p Felix, makes focusing so much easier when your sitting infront of the pc while focusing, and not trying to focus with cold hands shacking.

you`ll have to get one of those Skywatcher autofocusers fitted to the 2--p Felix, makes focusing so much easier when your sitting infront of the pc while focusing, and not trying to focus with cold hands shacking.

I think I am gonna do that once I have the moonlite focuser bought and installed rob. Oh man the purchase list goes on!

Do it now while you wait for the moonlight - it's not an expensive item.

Then when you get the moonlight and don't want to put a little sw focuser on it - sell the focuser to me for half price lol :)

Anyone else having trouble installing sharpcap 2 on windows 7,  says it needs microsoft. net downloading which the sharpcap download page says should already be on windows 7.

I didn't have trouble two days ago when I installed it, but I do recall having to install that previously for something else, it was easy to find.

James

I know no other operating system but I agree, it's never straight forwards, and I have conflict after conflict and my computer runs like it was made in the stone age (and it's only a year old (i7)).... :(

It's supposed to be on 7 already according to the sharpcap download page, I already had a earlier version of sharpcap so must have been ok then.

might be something to do with the version of windows 7 your running, if anyone needs to update the .net framework there`s a link to it on the hitec astro page, i needed it to use ascom 6 platform and hitec astro dc focuser, thinking about it i`m sure there`s a link to it on the ascom platform website also.

saying all this i was highly impressed with the control of the focuser in Sharpcap 2, worked a treat and when the step counter reaches 0 it shuts the motor focuser off, which is a good thing as i`m always trying to either take the focuser to far out or too far in and the motors struggling to turn.

Edited by red dwalf

It's supposed to be on 7 already according to the sharpcap download page, I already had a earlier version of sharpcap so must have been ok then.

I had the same problem Paul, I am running Windows 7 but I had to install the .net thing before I could install Sharpcap 2.

Some newer features are available looking at it. Will get a better idea next time I go out imaging.

had a go with Sharpcap 2 last night using the Atik Titan camera and the software kept crashing, most annoying

I used sharpcap 2 last night with the ZWO ASI120MC and had only one problem where the image jumped across to the left of the screen a couple of times. Most annoying as it stops the stacking process in registax as the image goes off the screen slightly. Other than that it was ok. I had a look on SGL and there are a couple of threads reporting the "image jump" with ZWO cameras and sharpcap.

Could you discard the bad frames and just work with the good ones?

Yeah of course :) I can put the avi into virtual dub and sort it no probs.

Ive been using firecapture which is a really nice intuitive program but my antivirus file scan doesn't like it so I have to switch that off 1st which I inevitably forget.

So I just downloaded sharpcap to give it a go. It looks quite straightforward and I have just had a play on the table top with my cam and it all seems to work. How do you change the frame rate byw? Cant see any sliders etc and when I did a test run I was only getting 2 - 3 FPS with my IMGOH.

from what i can gather Phil, alot of the functions depend on the camera your using, i`ve tried a philips webcam, which gives you loads of adjustments you can make, a Opticstar px-35 colour camera which works well but gives only half of the adjustments available for the philips webcam, and i`ve tried the Atik Titan, which is an ascom compatable camera but i could get on with that at all, sharpcap kept crashing and the picture looked rubbish.

I used SharpCap2 last night and I was really impressed. Mostly impressed by the fact my laptop didn't whinge at all, even with the camera at the end of a 15m active USB extension lead without being connected to the mains.

I like the new version. It seems simple to use and just works and doesn't freeze.

There was an option to alter the frame rate for me, towards the top on the very far right, but just set this to maximum and that rate appeared to depend upon the amount of the sensor I was using, and the exposure duration and gain. I managed to get to nearly 50fps with a 600x500 ish frame size and 0.02s exposure time.

So while my data was rubbish for various other issues (mostly down to me!) I did find the software easy to use and reliable.

James

A disappointment for me, as Phil says, there's not the range of adjustment for the IMG0H that's available in Firecapture, frame rate stuck at 2 fps and crashed every time I tried to adjust it.

Pity, I used to like using Sharpcap with the spc900.