• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

beginner

thelord2004

hi all I guess you have all been asked this question many times but which would be a good starter scope. I have seen one called a celestron astromaster 130 eq . any advice greatly appreciated.

Guest CodnorPaul

Hi Simon - the best starter scope is a trip to one of the darksites when we have a meeting to have a look at the different options.  Then it depends on personal preference, budget, and aspirations.  Dobs are popular as you pay for the optics and not the mount, go-to or not go-to is a big questions as you pay for the mount as well as the optics, and reflectors are cheaper than equivalent refractors.

EMS members are really helpful, have helped me a lot, and are more than happy for you to come along one night.

Hi Simon and a warm welcome to EMS :)

Yes - it's a popular question indeed and the Astromaster's not a bad little entry level newtonian scope although the finder is a bit "cheap and nasty" and the tripod/mount is a bit wobbly. But they are built to a price. Imho a similar size but better one to go for is the Skywatcher 130P model indicated here: http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-130p.html

It's the same size but has a parabolic mirror (which focuses better) and you'll find the mount/tripod are a tad more stable with the right adjustments. For the price it's good value for money and will show you many of the brighter deep sky objects, some planetary detail (eg Jupiters banding and Saturns rings), and cracking close ups of the moon.

The Celestron one is not bad and does similar stuff - there's not a lot in it really - the SW one just pips it at the post I think for clarity and useability. Hope that helps. :)

I second Paul's advice, and you can save up while you wait for a meet!!

Try downloading Stellarium, (it's free!) most people use it to find there way around the sky!!

Cheers

Ron

Hi and welcome.

Yes, attending a "star party" (i've yet to have any booze or dance at one of these yet) will allow you to look at a range of scopes, of different makes and prices. It gives you a better idea of what sort of things appeal. Also get there early and watch (and help) people set up their kit; you might be put off some items after seeing the sweat and frustration, while others may just get plonked on the floor and be up and running.

Where abouts are you in the east midlands? I'm sure there will be an EMSer near by who would be happy to show you their stuff if they are setting up at home; i would be and i'm just south of nottingham city centre.

Good luck and look forward to seeing you sometime.

James

wow thankyou all for your kind advice theres a lot to read through and digest. im keen on meeting up with others for advice etc. I shall also look at the sky watcher 130. I am just outside leics.

I will my biggest issue is that I work permanent nights so sat night is my only free one. :(

Hi Simon, welcome to EMS and the obsession also known as Astronomy.

I can only echo the above comments, choose wisely and spend once.

I was unfortunate not to have known any local folk when I bought my first scope, I spent weeks looking for something and got swayed by reviews, mostly from America. I got a Meade ETX80, the optics are superb, but limited, it is a cracking wide field scope, but pretty rubbish at anything that needed magnification. The Goto was absolute pants, I suspect this was manufactured by John Deere from the noise it made.

There are some excellent scopes if you get the one that suits you, as some are better than others at certain tasks, such as Lunar and Planetary and then Deep Sky objects. Both have different requirements to get the best from the view.

If you have a pair of binocular's, they are an excellent way to get going, as you can see some objects with them that are too large to get in a scope. If you have a spare tenner to spare then I can recommend the "Sky and Telescope pocket Star Atlas". This is a cracking atlas, and very good value.

We have a dark site in Wymeswold, which may not be too far from you, and next Saturday we are having a quarterly meeting at our other dark site near Belper. You would be very welcome to come and say hi, and all being well there will be a bit of clear sky to have a look at stuff. A good place to start scaring the wallet!

Pop into the welcome section and say hi, you will receive a warm welcome.

Any other questions  you might have, feel free to ask away, someone will help out.

Simon - if you want a quick look at a couple of telescopes and a bit of astro help, you'd be welcome to pop over here (NW Leicester). Just send me a pm to let me know and we can swop phone numbers and arrange it. :)

Simon only has eight posts, so won't have access to PM yet. Just shout on here. After 10 posts you get access to Private message, and the chatroom.

Kim has every scope man has made, and a collection of accessories to rival the Smithsonian, so you would be able to get a good idea of what would suit you.

thankyou baz. ive posted on two threads and dont no which one to keep up with now. ha ha.

Only two threads? I have to keep up with every thread in the forum, and the chat room, and the mod section lol. You'll soon get the hang of thread hopping Simon :lol:

Hi Simon.

Don't suppose you are free Tuesday 10th.

The topic for the Leicester astronomical society meeting

at the space centre is 'a scope is not just for Christmas'

Some members are doing a talk on buying your first scope!

Btw. Welcome.

(Just down the road from you in Cosby)

Paul

hi paul if its at night im afraid not I start work at 9pm. that is a shame too thankyou for your warm welcome. btw I was born in cosby on park road.

Hi simon. Welcome to EMS.

If you're still after an astromaster 130 my dad is looking to get rid of his (it was originally my first scope) its got a few modifications done to it to help strengthen the mount, and I also fitted a decent 8 x 50mm finder scope to it as the original was less than useless. Also going with it would be the celestron eyeopener eyepiece set. This is about 5 different eyepieces and filters to allow you to get different magnifications.

All of the extras cost me about £200. I'll be happy to let the scope & extras go for £150

Also on a note, the astromaster also has a parabolic mirror like the SW one.

Hi Simon,

Definitely visit a darksite and see all the scopes.  they are many and varied and better at different jobs.

Depends on your aspirations really, visual, imaging, planets, or deep sky.  Lots of help here though

Welcome to the asylum

Sheila

hi tawow I would be interested in getting a starter scope which I beleive is what is on offer. hi sheila I would first like to start I think with veiwing for a start and then move onto imaging and deep space.

simon

Simon, there is a quarterly meet on at our Belper dark site this Saturday night (7th), you would be more than welcome to come along.

The quarterly meets differ slightly to the adhoc quickly arranged (sometimes even quicker cancelled) meets at weekends when the weather is good, in such that the club house is open (log burner to keep warm) there are often quizzes, someone will do a talk, if any scopes need collimation etc someone will do that, loads of help, advice and if the weather is kind to us, some observing / astro photography.

A few of us bring our kit regardless of the weather so any newbies can have a look, so come along, it should be a great night.

hi daz

I will bear that in mind thankyou it would be good to get expert advice on a scope.

simon

what are peoples thoughts on this or is it just a waste of money ?

Skywatcher HERITAGE-130P FlexTubeTM 130mm (5.1") f/650 Parabolic Dobsonian Telescope

thanks simon