• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

beginner

thelord2004

Hmmmm,depends on your budget, at £130 your not getting much for your cash, where if you look to get second hand (as long as it is in good nick etc) then you can get more for your cash.

For an extra £70 you could get a Skywatcher Skyliner 200P on a dob mount (so in essence the same scope as yours (solid tube not flexi) but is much bigger meaning you will see more....

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=75779

The above is just an example, brand new they are £275 I think.

For reflectors (Newtonian) telescopes, bigger is better, but then the cash ramps up.

With a dob base you are paying for the optics and not for any computer gizmos, but you do have to find everything yourself by hand, that requires knowing the sky (can be learned, it's not that hard).

With regards to your questions, it all depends on what you expect to see, how much you want to spend etc, as for "seeing" objects, it will be difficult with that scope, but not impossible.

The 200P mirrors are 8" across where as the 130 are just over 5" across, bigger mirror = more light grasp = more cash!

The Heritage is a nice scope with a decent mirror and gives as good views as any other 130 in the entry level bracket. But it's unsuitable for photography being alt/az mounted (altitude and azimuth). The base is a rocker box on a turntable so it moves up/down, left, and right - pretty simple and straightforward.

For imaging though you'd need an eq (equatorial) mount with a motorised RA (right ascension) and Dec (declination) axes. These enable it to track the sky as the Earth moves in a single plane (essential for photography). I personally don't like the helical focuser, and find it overall a bit flimsy and fragile - but nontheless it's a good observing instrument if carefully handled. It does pack down to a small size making it easy to store and transport - it would need to sit on a small table.

It's great that you are looking round Simon - there's a heck of a lot to become familiar with before choosing a scope. Things to research include: mount types, optical arrangement, and, glass or mirror based. :)

hi thanks for your input. I think I will forget that idea . my budget will be about £200.

simon

hi thanks for your input. I think I will forget that idea . my budget will be about £200.

simon

then if you are just wanting visual you get more for your money with a Dob.  But this would not be any good for imaging.

Imaging is a whole new ball park for bidgets :o

Sheila

hi sheila

yes its just observing im after for now imaging to come at a very much later date.

simon

another daft question the skywatcher skyliner 200p cannot be mounted onto a tripod ? it has to be table mounted.

The 200P dob is floor standing - it can be remounted on an equatorial mount if needed - I have 200P eq that I can show you. One of our members did exactly this remounting exercise recently. :)

(Most dobs are floor standing except the very small ones like the 130 you mentioned earlier)

The skyliner is a dobsonian, so its a reflector on a dob mount. There's no reason why you can't attach it to a mount but the mount is the expensive thing!! Unless you want to track/guide for AP stick with a dob and for £200 you'll get a lot of scope , as opposed to a cheap mount.

now im really lost lol. ive found this but a bit out of budget for now. Sky-Watcher Explorer-200P (EQ5) Parabolic Newtonian Reflector Telescope

now im really lost lol. ive found this but a bit out of budget for now. Sky-Watcher Explorer-200P (EQ5) Parabolic Newtonian Reflector Telescope

would it be possible in time to connect a nikon 3100d to one of these ? Skywatcher Explorer 130P (EQ-2)

Guest CodnorPaul

If it were me I would go with the 2nd hand option - a 200P dobsonian will be a great choice, and the OTA will serve you well if you decide to upgrade the mount at any point, or just stick with the dob base for pure simplicity and ease of visual use.

Astro Buy and Sell is a good source of 2nd hand kit

Totally agree with Paul's post. If you have limited budget but want to get a scope that will keep you interested a second hand 200P is a great option. I started with a 200P on a dobsonian style mount and when I had learnt the sky with it an fancied having a go at se planetary imaging I bought an NEQ6 pro goto mount and tripod and put the 200P on that and have been using it ever since. It's a lovely scope as it gives very pleasing views of lots of deep sky objects and planets too. The one thing I will say is that any scope is amplified by good eyepieces. The better the eyepiece the better your view will be through most scopes in my opinion.

I've got a 130p heritage flex tube, it's a lovely little scope, but very restrictive.  I use mine when I need a quick grab and go or when we don't have much room in the car for the bigger ones.  It's also nice to look at lol.

I will agree with the advice about starting with an 8" or 200, it is a good size to see loads with and it should keep aperture fever away for a while.  :D

Hey Simon. Let me know if you're interested in going Belper.

I could give you a lift... save a bit of petrol money  :)

I'll be taking my first scope, a SW130, which I still love and my ED80 which I purchased to get into imaging.

You could have a poke around both and there's plenty of helpful people to offer advice.

PM me if you can make it.

Best thing you can do is stop looking!!! Come along to the next meet with Paul, he's a good lad, and see what's about, ask lots of questions (remembering the only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask) get a look and feel then you can make a more informed judgement of what you want.

Good luck.

I was looking and researching telescopes and mounts for three months before I got my first scope - so a few days is nothing in this game. You need a hands on visual look at some kit, and one to one guidance from someone who can explain stuff. The offers still there if you want to drop by my place sometime. :)

When I first got into this I went and saw Kim. He got me on the right track and let me have a look and get my hands on various scopes and mounts he owns and his eyepiece collection-well I am still working towards that! One day! It really was beneficial to actually get a feel or the size of the different types of scopes and mounts and Kim has lots of them! Definitely take him up on his offer and you will realise why you want.