• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

HELP, neq6 altitude bolts advice needed

red dwalf

morning all,

out last night to polar align the NEQ6 mount again and noticed the problem why i can`t get it spot on,

the mount has the upgraded altitude bolt and there`s no way that the mount will tilt to 52 degrees altitude, even when the bolt is fully wound in it only makes 50 degrees altitude, i had to make up a longer bolt in the garage at 10.30pm last night.

so problem is that it`s too short, so was wondering if the HEQ5 and the NEQ6 ungrade bolts are of different lengths and i`ve got the one for the HEQ5.

is there a kind sole out there that is willing to unscrew there bolt and measure the bolt thread length for me.

many thanks.

9y1a.jpg

Edited by red dwalf

did infact check that Stephen L.O.L. longer bolt with the red knob on fitted below the polar scope and fully wound in only elevates the mount to 50 degress, can`t see any other problem with the mount or bolt only that it seems to be too short.

was gonna make the same comment, did that once :facepalm:   where did you get the uprated bolts from?

maybe they supplied the wrong ones?

already fitted to the mount Sheila, bought it from Kim a few weeks back, have always struggled to get it properly polar aligned, even Nick, geezanova couldn`t get it right for me.

perhaps ask Kim or ask someone with a 6 to measure each of their bolts and compare??  Mike has one and Stephen does?

I have a spare set of the weaker bolts at home, so can measure tonight and let you know?

The short bolt should be 68mm and the long one 95mm Rob. Check the handle on the long one (with the red press button on the end) it has a spring clip so you can pull the handle outwards to turn the bolt. Is there any more thread under the sprung handle? If so you may get one or two more turns on it to get 52 degs.

I've had it perfectly polar aligned on a spirit levelled tripod many times - but not sure how that accuracy compares to your pier mounting. The pole star tracked round the larger circle perfectly though. Did you double check it on the tripod yet?

This triggered me to check my nuts and bolts box to make sure I gave you everything and I found the original bolts (just measured them) plus a second extension for the weights bar. Because I never needed to use them I totally forgot I had them when you picked it up - so I'll try and get those too you asap. The smaller bolt looks just very slightly bent though - so slight it's barely notice'able - but worth using gingerly just in case.

I got the mount from Nadeem and the upgraded bolts were already installed - and it all worked fine for me on the tripod so I never even thought about checking they were the correct length. I think he got them from Astro Developments. :)

@Sheila - I no longer have the NEQ6 Sheila - sold it to Rob lol. And the AZEQ6 GT has totally different bolts alltogether. :)

I have new NEQ6 bolts at home (not bent) :lol:  will measure tonight and if longer i can send them to you rob??

thanks guys for the help, i think i know what the problem is now after spending some time with it this afternoon, very windy out there today.

the bolts is 95mm long as i`ve measured it as below in the picture.

qc65.jpg

the mount it level as you can see.

gkie.jpg

i think the real problem is the fact that the altitude bolt has alot of movement in it.

it doesn`t matter too much about side to side but the important thing is there`s alot of movement on the up and down axis, so i think that the bolt gets the mount to about 50 degrees and then as the mount is pushing down on the bolt and it`s slipping under the lever bit at the bottom of the mount therefore it can not increase the altitude anymore no matter how far you screw it in.

tkth.jpg

Edited by red dwalf

any ideas how this can be resloved ?

if anyone sees our resident astrotec guy Graham about can they send him to this post for his thoughts please.

i know this might sound daft, but have you tried releasing the other one, then manually lifting the mount head to 52 degrees, the screwing the bolt in and letting the mount head go then to rest on it and tightening the other bolt up to it?  the bolt is not then pushing the whole weight of the head at all.  I am prob barking up the wrong tree, but that is sometimes how i did it so as not to put too much strain on screwing the bolt in???

thats how i bent the first lot of rubbish bolts :facepalm:  just kept trying to garth them.

Sheila

Edited by Sheila

i know this might sound daft, but have you tried releasing the other one, then manually lifting the mount head to 52 degrees, the screwing the bolt in and letting the mount head go then to rest on it and tightening the other bolt up to it?  the bolt is not then pushing the whole weight of the head at all.  I am prob barking up the wrong tree, but that is sometimes how i did it so as not to put too much strain on screwing the bolt in???

thats how i bent the first lot of rubbish bolts :facepalm:  just kept trying to garth them.

Sheila

Yup - this is a very sensible idea - not daft at all - I did the same thing many times when elevating the head.

Also - a longer bolt would put the handle outside of the pier diameter giving you more throw - it's just a thought - I'll bet Graham could make one up for you. :)

you have the correct bolts

a couple of things

the other bolt does need to be loose as otherwise the bolts will bend or damage the lug

you could even bend the uprated ones if you apply enough force

it could be that the lug it acts on has been chewed up and the bolt is riding off the lug and so cannot lift the mount

Edited by Ibbo

then i suggest you follow my instructions re taking weight off by loosening other bolt,  lifting head to required degrees, screwing lower bolt in and then resting it back on that bolt and tightening other bolt up....

Edited by Sheila

Sheila

i also had the same idea Sheila, unfortunatly it didn`t work, the lug seems to push the bolt down and when you tighten up the other side the same thing happens, i would think if i tightened the smaller bolt too much it could bend the larger one, if it was made of the normal monkey metal.

been on the web and have come across a few people who have had the same problem, these mounts don`t seem to be best suited for higher altitude countrys, so they are on the limits of there usefull altitudes with this kind of cam design so some have modded the cams to compensate this problem.

If the bolt moves around a lot in the thread then I'd reckon it was damaged. I'm guessing the mount is made from aluminium?

If you're feeling brave you could drill the mount and put in a wire insert thread. Much stronger.

there are some very nice looking solutions on the web to repair that lug

a simple one comes to mind if you can get adjustment up to say 50 degs

you could unlevel the mount a few degrees

the mount does not need to be level only that the polar axis points at the north celestial pole

my NJP was not designed to be used above 50ish dgs

so I put a brick under the North leg when it went on tour to Kielder and Galloway it worked prefectly

it has now been fixed

If the bolt moves around a lot in the thread then I'd reckon it was damaged. I'm guessing the mount is made from aluminium?

If you're feeling brave you could drill the mount and put in a wire insert thread. Much stronger.

i think there cast metal but i`m guessing also that the thread has been worn.

how do you go about putting a wire thread in ?

its called hellicoiling

you drill and tap it to a larger size then fit the heli and job done- not sure how you would go on as I think it needs to be a blind hole

for the heli to bottom out

And it's not something really daft like the handle of the bolt is hitting the top plate of the pier? If you take it off the pier is it any different? Might something on the pier be hindering it inside?

JD

its called hellicoiling

you drill and tap it to a larger size then fit the heli and job done- not sure how you would go on as I think it needs to be a blind hole

for the heli to bottom out

I doesn't need to be a blind hole. I do this frequently at work with fixtures when threads get stripped. The inserts have a little tang which you snap off when the insert is in position, leaving the thread clear for through holes.

heli ciol seems the way to go, will this tighten up the hole ? there is thread still in the mount, it just doesn`t seem to hold the altitude bolt very well so there is alot of slop.

anyone know what size and pitch the altitude bolts are ? and where do i buy a helicoil from ?