• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

HELP, neq6 altitude bolts advice needed

red dwalf

cheers Phil, looks just what i need, will this tighten up a sloppy screw hole ? having looked at the threaded hole in the mount again it does look alittle egg shaped,

fingers crossed it`s a cheap repair

Edited by red dwalf

It'd likely be M8 or M10. Best just find another bolt of those sizes and check them against the alt bolt. Fitting a coil will tighten up the thread (provided you drill and tap it correctly) also see if you can get some longer inserts as the standard ones may not fill all the thread.

This is possibly making sense now - I wonder if Nadeem bent the original bolts slightly, and replaced them with the upgrades, before he sold the mount on to me. He could have told me about it if that's what happened. I'll get the original bolts to you Rob (with the extension bar) and you can tell me what you think.

No worries kim, not to urgent,  I'll see you next Saturday anyway if you want to bring them with you then. 

Thanks Steve have cleared some room,

I found the first link yesterday which look to be a great mod for higher altitude countrys, have already e-mailed the guy and he sells them for about 28 pounds plus p&p,

If your going to the meet at belper tommorrow steve I'll bring my dojgle with that tiff of m27 for you, just bring your pc

just been round to my nieghbour to check the size of the bolts and they are M10 1.25 pitch, will order a heli coil kit today.

fingers crossed for a succesfull repair.

Rob,

They are M10 x 1.5 pitch,

These Hex Bolts are fitted to my NEQ6, I didn't pay the £30 for the posh ones :) I just

Keep a 17mm spanner in my kit.

All for £3 :)

took the mount off the pier today and my suspicions are correct, the latitude bolt is deffinantly slipping under the cam, not the best design in the world.

also a correction on the bolt sizes, it`s a M10 1.5 pitch bolt not 1.25 as i said earlier.

i`ve had to slope the pier plates back from north to south to compensate for the missing 2 degrees, looks a bit weird but hopefully should work out ok until i can get the mount fixed properly.

upbx.jpg

Edited by red dwalf

i belive it is Phil, the thread where the bolt goes into the mount is more of an egg shape so being an ali metal has caused it to ware over time i guess with the constant weight being pushed down on it hasn`t helped, there is also a guy on SGL that makes an adapter that screws onto the cam and has a recess for the bolt to go into which looks a good mod to do as it secures the bolt on the cam also.

another £30 spend.

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/161907-neq6-tuning-kit/?hl=neq6

Edited by red dwalf

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE,

having had the helicoil kit for a week but being to afraid to use it and knacker up the mount even more, i thought i`d better have a go at fixing this problem, went round to the neighbours to borrow his bench drill and looks like he`s gone away for the week, typical, didn`t quite know how it would have fitted under the drill bench anyway as the mount is a big thing and a funny shape, so took it off the obsy mount and got the big SDS drill out and had a go myself, having read the helicoil kit instructions a few times i drilled out the Ali mount hole which was very easy with a SDS drill, then tapped a new thread into the latitude mount hole and then fitted the new helicoil, and i`m pleased to report that it works a treat, had the mount up to 56 degrees with no problems before i thought i don`t want to push my luck, brought the mount altitude back down to 52 degrees and locked the bolts, took it off the mount to see how it looked on the cam and there is still plenty of room left before the bolt gets to the bottom of the cam.

highly delighted and thanks Phil for the e bay link to the helicoil kits, £9 well spent and a big relief to me, fingers crossed for clear sky tommorrow night.

I'm relieved Rob - glad it's sorted mate :)

thanks Kim, you're not the only one who's relieved, been putting off doing this for days, but once I started it only took me 20 minutes to finish.