• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Info on Skywatcher 200p with HEQ5 pro

Guest VikN46

Hi,

I am thinking I may have to admit defeat and that for viewing and astrophotography I may have to go for the above scope and mount, along with a rechargeable battery/power pack.

Before I go ahead and buy could anyone answer any of my probably silly questions?  Thank you sooo much in advance!

1. How heavy is the whole set up scope and mount to move?

2. How high is the eyepiece to view through at the lowest tripod height ( I'm 5 ft so I may need a special step to reach!)?

3. Would it be ok to keep it covered up in a metal shed outside? If not I will have to move my other half into the shed instead!

4. Could anyone tell me what the footprint of the tripod is, so I can check it will fit in the shed or maybe under the stairs.

5. Will this then give me a good all-round set up for both visual and AP?

6. How long to set up for viewing?

To some up it all boils down to weight, height and storage!! I don't want to get it wrong and have to fork out more money.

And any other info on this would be really helpful.

Thank you!! : :)

Vicky

Hi Vicky and a warm welcome to EMS :)

It's a fabulous combination for a first set up - you've chosen well :) Here's the mount stats you're asking for:

Carrying capacity 13.6kg (30lbs) (not including counterweights)
    Tripod Weight 5.6kg (12.3lbs)
    Mount Weight 10kg (22lbs)
    Counterweights 2 x 5.1kg (11lbs) = 10.2kg (22lbs)
    Total Weight: 25.8kg (56.3lbs)
    Mount Height 35cm (14")
    Tripod Height 97-121cm (38-47")
    Tripod Legs Outside Diameter 44.55mm (1.75") and 32mm (1.25")

Welcome to EMS :)

I use a 200P on an NEQ6 and I am 5'7" tall and I have to use a step with the tripod at its lowest setting.

As far as the weight is concerned my setup is much heavier as it's the NEQ6 but I always take the scope off the mount before moving anything as I am bound I hot the scope on something if I didn't and also it's jut extremely awkward and heavy!

I'll measure my 200P later and give you an approx overall height - but it will be approx because it's variable depending where you mount the dovetail or slide the scope along in it's rings.

A small caravan step is enough to get to the max height it reaches.

But at 5ft high you'll have no probs with it - just don't extend the legs. :)

(Ignore Felix - he's got a different 200P to the one you're looking at - it's longer lol)

Ok the scope is 3ft high - so 1ft 6" above the mount assuming you fit half way along the dovetail. Add 38" for the tripod and 14" for the mount and you have 70 inches at it's lowest (or 5ft 10"). Hmmm....  You only  need a single caravan step at the highest. But don't forget you won't always be looking at the zenith - most observing is done on the rising and setting of objects. :)

(I was joking about Felix - he's a spiffing chap - but he does have the longer ota cos it came from a dob. Your tube is the f-5 one and is 200mm shorter than his.) :)

Edit - just corrected my maths - I was out by a foot so you'll be fine - my partner is about your height and she has no probs with it.

Hi, thanks for the really helpful replies, its a complete inconvenience sometimes being small!! :D

So I need to grow about 2ft! Will look into a solution on the height side.

Thanks again!!

Even better just a single caravan step then!

Do you know if it would it be ok to keep in a metal shed or would it need to kept inside?

Sorry for all the questions!! Thanks again.

If you want to view one Vicky we live in Groby. I have a similar height mount (recently sold the HEQ5) - but I have the exact tripod and scope so you can check it out. I also have a choice of two caravan steps lol. You and your partner would be very welcome to drop by whenever convenient. :)

So long as it's kept dry and safe it would be fine in a wooden or metal shed. One of my scopes lives in the garage. :)

if you have a problem with weight and your height would a small refractor be better for you and would take less storage???  Also you dont need step ladders :D

Sheila

"the 200p is quite large i am 5 feet 4 ins and it is quite a large OTA." 

Says the lady with the Tak 130 bazuka! :lol:

A warm welcome to EMS.

The only issue you will get with a metal shed is condensation. You really don't want things dripping into the electric bits, and the humidity may encourage corrosion.

You are investing a lot of money in the scope, so it has to sleep on your partners side of the bed! :lol:  

No, seriously, just keep it dry, the cold won't affect it. I would make sure your security is good on any outside buildings, just to be safe.

"the 200p is quite large i am 5 feet 4 ins and it is quite a large OTA." 

Says the lady with the Tak 130 bazuka! :lol:

yes but i am a bit 'special'  :wacko:  :lol:  i found refractor (smaller one) much easier to handle and no step ladders :P

Thanks everyone!

Opted for a Reflector at this is what I have experience of but open to suggestions of alternatives too, been looking for past two weeks and my mind is now well and truly boggled :lol:

Opted for a Reflector at this is what I have experience of, I will be using a Canon dslr and/or webcam spc900nc which I have had for ages and never got round to using before it all had to take a step back afew years back.

Speaking to the other half, he thinks storage will be a bit of a problem, for the size of the 200p scope  :( its just no good we will have to move or extend!

Anyone recommend any shops to go to for a look round,  there isn't much in the midlands that I can see, hubby said he will drive me wherever I need to go. 

Thanks again :)

There is Rother Valley Optics up at J30/31 of the M1 at Kiveton. But whether they will have one set up is another matter.

FLO have a good reputation, and a lot of members on here have used them.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/

Edit: Pop over to Kim's and have a look at how big they are, saves on fuel.

Get him to drive you over here first Vicky - most astro retailers are at least an hour to 90 mins away minimum - there's one in Warwickshire called Sherwoods.

But I have several different examples of scopes/mounts and I can help you make a good decision. If 200P on HEQ5 was a random choice then you're either incredibly lucky or incredibly insightful - cos that's a very good starter outfit - not really beginner kit at all.

Let me know if you'd like to come over for a cuppa and astro chat and I'll send you a message with my phone number so we can arrange it. :)

I will  do that, unfortunately it won't be for about 3 or 4 weeks as he works abroad, but I'm not looking to rush into anything, I will message you when he is back to arrange it if that is ok.

Thanks for helping :)  

Vicky

I went around to Kim's when I first started a couple of years ago and the array of kit he has is like being in an astro shop anyway! He's a top bloke and very helpful :) I'm not sure I would have carried on with astro had it not been for him i was getting that frustrated! Kim have me a cuppa and showed me what I was doing wrong and the rest is history :)

Kim is a bad influence; i started out with a pair of binoculars from a charity shop, and now i've got enough astro junk to start my own recycling facility :)

You'll certainly get sound advice from Kim. And the tea isn't bad either!

James

Thanks Felix you're too kind :)

You've long since superseded me at this lark - especially with imaging - I guess my strength is showing the way for beginners - well someone has to lol :)

Awwww thanks James - I just figured you had way too much money lying round doing nothing and needed to spend it on something - so I just hinted here, tipped there, planted the ideas, tweaked the memory - and you fell for it all lol. :lol:

When I sunk my metal pier into the ground for a similar sized f5.6, FL 51 inches 8.75" reflector, I think I made the pipe too tall. I got a pair of steps (in the profile photo) which only has 2 steps and they were helpful, light weight and easily stored.

The members of the ems are very helpful. Kim is an encyclopedia of useful knowledge and very helpful.

Like Kim refers,it's not often you have the scope pointing vertically overhead. I too will be paying Kim a visit for the same reasons of buying equipment.