• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Info on Skywatcher 200p with HEQ5 pro

Guest VikN46

I use a 200P on an EQ5 and regularly need a step even at 5ft 8in.. Remember the telescope lifts of mount and could store vertically. I always strip the mount before moving to storage, moving the counter weights as separate items and the tripod with the legs brought into the centre as otherwise it will not easily go through doors. Hope this helps.

Chris

Yup - same here - all my scopes and mounts get broken down for storage. If I had an obsy I would have a permanent set up - but all my stargazing is "on the move" and has to be portable. That said - it's not a big job exactly to assemble most telescopes in the field. :)

(I doubt Tracey will have any height issues at all with HEQ5/200P)

Yup - same here - all my scopes and mounts get broken down for storage. If I had an obsy I would have a permanent set up - but all my stargazing is "on the move" and has to be portable. That said - it's not a big job exactly to assemble most telescopes in the field. :)

(I doubt Tracey will have any height issues at all with HEQ5/200P)

she must be very tall then :P  i remember the steps i used to take with me for the EQ5 and the 200p :lol:  had the mick taken out of

me for having kiddie steps at the dark sites

Lol Shiela - Yeah but that was really only for viewing the zenith which ain't so often right? And you do tend to have your tripod at full height iirc? :)

(Even I use a step for looking at the zenith on a low tripod and I'm 6ft)

I think Tracy needs to see a full set up in action to appreciate how you can get round these issues.

Lol Shiela - Yeah but that was really only for viewing the zenith which ain't so often right? And you do tend to have your tripod at full height iirc? :)

(Even I use a step for looking at the zenith on a low tripod and I'm 6ft)

I think Tracy needs to see a full set up in action to appreciate how you can get round these issues.

yes i think that is the best idea.... it can be quite fun with some of the issues, being a contortionist helps :D

yes i think that is the best idea.... it can be quite fun with some of the issues, being a contortionist helps :D

Vicky Dont buy cheap(any) plastic caravan step. As a caravanner I have seen some nasty falls as the plastic becomes brittle and can be slippery . Better go for a metal(alu) with anti slip or something like this which acts as a seat while your drinking the hot toddy.

example http://www.amazon.co.uk/WOLF-LOOP-LADDERS-KITCHEN-STOOL/dp/B0089L0FPC missed link before :facepalm2:

Edited by stash

Vicky Dont buy cheap(any) plastic caravan step. As a caravanner I have seen some nasty falls as the plastic becomes brittle and can be slippery . Better go for a metal(alu) with anti slip or something like this which acts as a seat while your drinking the hot toddy.

yup that was the one i used.... metal with rubber anti slip mat, but i must admit i got a bit fed up with it so changed to a frac

much easier to deal with for AP

Hi, thanks for the really helpful replies, its a complete inconvenience sometimes being small!! :D

So I need to grow about 2ft! Will look into a solution on the height side.

Not entirely true... I'm 6ft 5in and I've not yet found a scope I haven't had to stoop or sit down to look into. Having to stand on a small step may be an inconvenience, but it's better for your back in the long-term!!!

Alan