• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Poor laptop

dawson

Maybe the rubber band needs winding up again - factory reset  :)

i`ve got one of those laptops with the rubber bands

You might know this but never defrag an SSD also you might want to make sure you have the correct and latest chip set driver and ADHC (from memory) driver for the SSD. IF you use a driver update program it should sort you out. I used driver magician a while back so sort out a laptop that was similar it made a world of difference

Some defraggers are now SSD aware and will perform some appropriate maintenance on SSD's while avoiding inappropriate write operations and excessive media wear.

However you are correct to treat SSD as write once(least) read often. If the SSD is working correctly it should be enhancing the boot and speed in general - not slowing this machine which, on paper, should be fast.

Leigh, I am sure, will be able to see more when he gets hold of the sick laptop. The rest of us ,including me ,are really fumbling in the dark. 

The data back up is done, just need to save the drivers, then going to hit the reformat button :)

Cheers for the help.

JD

Funnily enough I had a slow Acer laptop, I reformatted the HDD and reinstalled XP and it is orders of magnitude quicker.

I'm interested to see how/if it slows down as I reinstall the application software and whether there is one thing that has a big effect. I bet the Anti Virus hammers it.

Laptop now mostly rebuilt, and fans cleaned out with the hoover; apparently it's got "heat pipes" which may explain why the fans appear to be on more often than I've noticed with other laptops I've had.

Lots more room on the hard drive, but I've not put any of my photos of word files etc on it (and might try and limit that). Just trying to work out how to get back the function to change the screen brightness and the keyboard brightness, but other than that it's done.

It is certainly quicker on day to day usage. Registax processed an old large Jupiter file with ease, but I need to properly field test it at night running various programmes and the like.

Thanks for the input.

James