• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Too high expectations?

Dennis1954

On the original topic, I saw M31 low in the north east. It may be easier from the Midlands. It took a pair of 70mm binoculars but I was in suburbia where the limiting magnitude on a cloudless night is usually about 4.5ish.

• 4 months later...
Guest Andy 5312
I am going to get shot by saying this but too old to care.

The pictures you see arn't what  people see with their naked eye's(most of the time!) even through scopes so in reality its a virtual image as the human eye can't see it in that detail - as so elegantly said by everyone else.

Its the same as the pictures of people in mags they are  "air brushed" - In real life they don't look that good and the images created here are exactly the same. The Astrophotographers  do not see the image(most of the time!) as shown by the photo's - they  "air brushed"  images thru lots of processes - very skilled and their work very hard to get that image (Costs too!) :notworthy:

So enjoy the "hunt"  - it's  fun and just as good an achievement finding an object in the vastness of what you are looking at  as creating/seeing the pictures IMO

Yes the pics look stunning but don't loose faith in not seeing the "picture" in the eye piece.

couldnt agree more. And a great post. I will hunt it down pretty soon i hope

There's a lot more to Astronomy ,IMHO, than just taking pictures.

I will now crawl back under my rock to keep safe from the hail of abuse  :ph34r:

Some how i dont quite think my post worked ...

you would not get abuse on here :wub:  we are nice folks.  And i am and airbrush imager :rofl:

• 1 month later...
LMG and SMG ??

Do you mean LMC and SMC (as in Large Magellanic Cloud and Small Magellanic Cloud)?

Also, you have to remember that this forum is primarily aimed at people in the East Midlands, UK, so the assumption has been made that they were discussing objects only visible in the northern hemisphere but yes, you are correct, they are visible naked eye from Earth, just not in the northern hemisphere.

Apparently some people claim to be able to see M33, but as this has a much lower surface brightness, I would have thought it difficult. I'll bet if anyone can see it it will be old eagle eyed Eddy. :umnik2:

Guest MichaelDurban

I'd like to add a newbie ....dissolution..

Many of us use Stellarium or other software. And this software often displays DSO's or planets

in an 'unreliable' way...I fell into this pit as well when I purchased my first scope.

I'm not even talking about  "bright vibrant colours, blues and purples and such..." because you won't see colours.

I mean...what Stellarium and other programmes (or Apps) show you is not what you

will see...even when you 'tweak' settings in Stellarium...

As noted above, it's light pollution..and you're aperture which counts...

Don't be fooled...dark adaptation is one of the most powerful weapon you have

in your astronomical hunt for DSO's.

That, and aperture...with dark skies..will show you what you want to see...