• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Jupiter's GRS

Guest Deano

Just back in from trying out my new 5mm BST Explorer eyepiece that thankfully arrived in the post today. Despite the gusty wind causing a bit of shake, I managed to see the best views of Jupiter I ever have. I'm really pleased I went for the 200pds in the end which I'm slowly getting use to operating. It was a bit daunting at first with it's size but I'm getting more and more confident with each nights viewing.

A quick question for all you seasoned astronomers. Where's the best site for information on Jupiter's moon positions and the position of the GRS? Still don't think I've managed to see the GRS yet, it's next on my hit list!

Hi Dean, great scope the 200PDS, enjoyed mine ! I check the S@N monthly mag, there's a chart with the Jovian Moons positions for each night . Can't help you the GRS though, but somebody will know!!

Cheers

Ron

Hi Dean, great scope the 200PDS, enjoyed mine ! I check the S@N monthly mag, there's a chart with the Jovian Moons positions for each night . Can't help you the GRS though, but somebody will know!!

Cheers

Ron

Thanks Ron. Yes I've got the mag and have seen the moons info, I was just wondering if there was an interactive site around with 'real time' positions? Any tips on using the 200pds? I had a Meade DS2114 before this one and it's in another league with what I've seen so far. Not been galaxy hunting yet though, did you see any decent views of DSO's with it?

Hi Dean, that's my main interest! The 200PDS is great for DSO's and at a dark site will 'blow you away!'

It got me into astrophotography and I upgrade to a SW MN190 whish I love!!

What mount are you using??

Ron

Hi Dean, that's my main interest! The 200PDS is great for DSO's and at a dark site will 'blow you away!'

It got me into astrophotography and I upgrade to a SW MN190 whish I love!!

What mount are you using??

Ron

Great stuff. I got the scope second hand and is on a Celestron EQ5 mount. I was told by the guy I got it from that the mount is not the best but still useable and adequate enough to get me going again in the hobby. It has the added tracking motors which I am still trying to figure out as it seems to track well for a while then drifts so I re-adjust manually and then it seems not to track so well after that. I'm sure it's something to do with how I'm operating it, still learning really.

I'm having lots of fun though and thats the main thing. I have a Phillips Toucam Pro that I plan to use to venture into the world of astrophotography!

What galaxies would you recommend I try and track down first?

M51 M33 M31 and M13 and 15 are great clusters! Of course you want to make the most of Orion M42 while it's high in the sky! I had an EQ5 for my 200PDS but quickly moved to a HEQ5 pro with goto. If your tracking drifts it may be your Polar Alignment needs checking, spend a bit of time at the beginning getting the PA is accuraye as you can (makes all the difference, especially for photography!)

Ron

I use an iPhone app simply called Jupiter's moons. It's accurate and gives GRS transit times too.

Now why didn't I think of looking on the App Store! It's downloaded and exactly what I was after, thanks for that. I can see a few late nights on the cards to try and see a moon and GSR transit. Should a be able to see a moon shadow on the surface?

I'll add your suggested DSO's to my wish list Ron.

Most definitely you'll be able to see shadow transits-my most recent Jupiter images were of a shadow transit :)

Posted Image

Most definitely you'll be able to see shadow transits-my most recent Jupiter images were of a shadow transit :)

qyte6a2y.jpg

Great image. If I can get anywhere near that I'll be more than happy! The iPhone app suggested earlier is really good and best of all free.

Wish I'd got out of bed an hour before having to leave the house this morning. Mars and Venus were asking to be observed and not seen either through a telescope yet.

"Wish I'd got out of bed an hour before having to leave the house this morning. Mars and Venus were asking to be observed and not seen either through a telescope yet."

You missed out the moon and saturn lol. The moons crescent (with earth shine) magnified in the morning atmosphere alongside a very bright venus was a beautiful sight at 5:30am - and mars and saturn a bit further round to the south west made it all very magical.

I also noticed in recent days that the birds start singing and twittering away at all times of the night whenever there's an interesting apparition in the sky. Dunno if there's anything in that - but very noticeable and making everything quite atmospheric. :)

Edited by Brantuk

Great image. If I can get anywhere near that I'll be more than happy! The iPhone app suggested earlier is really good and best of all free.

Wish I'd got out of bed an hour before having to leave the house this morning. Mars and Venus were asking to be observed and not seen either through a telescope yet.

Thanks for the compliment, I took two more images of te shadow transit they're in the planetary images section on here :) It is a great little app. If you like apps another two I would recommend (free too) are Moon Globe and Mars Globe. Great for learning names of surface detail.

Felix that is a great image, not seen that one from you before - well done! :respect:

Thanks Paul :) As I mentioned above I took 3 images in total that night (well 3 turned out to have useable data anyway!) they are in the planetary images section.

Just realised I had the Jupiter app on my iphone, most have forgot!! :blink:

Used the app tonight, very useful indeed. The clouds are gathering though so not sure I'll get to see the GRS later.

You were spot on regarding my tracking drift problem the other night. Took my time tonight and made sure I did an accurate polar alignment before observing. The tracking was a lot better with only minor adjustments needed. Spotted my first galaxies tonight, Andomeda and another fainter one nearby. Very pleased!

Werll done Dean, hope it stays clear for you! The only way to learn a lot of this stuff ia by experience, it can be a steep learning curve! :)

Werll done Dean, hope it stays clear for you! The only way to learn a lot of this stuff ia by experience, it can be a steep learning curve! :)

I'm certainly finding that out! Was pleased with myself when I found M31, a bit of digging and I'm pretty sure it was M110 I spotted not too far away. I'm using Stellarium on the computer which I really like so far. It even shows you Jupiter's surface detail and moons in real time, just what I was after last night!

Enjoy it Dean, and the good thing is the Sky is ever changing, different targets different months! Have you seen Saturn yet?

Enjoy it Dean, and the good thing is the Sky is ever changing, different targets different months! Have you seen Saturn yet?

I have seen Saturn through my first telescope which is what got me into the stars. I haven't through the 200pds yet though, looking forward to that. I feel an early morning Saturn and Mars session coming on.